The Student Room Group

Step exam

Could I still sit the STEP exam regardless of which university I apply to? Also how does the whole process of entering to sit STEP work? My AS grades weren't as good as expected, and I plan on retaking a couple of modules, I definitely know that I am capable of achieving top grades in maths and my school has a strict grade prediction policy, therefore I'm hoping STEP could save me if I don't end up getting A*s and try adjustment next year?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by instituteofgrace
Could I still sit the STEP exam regardless of which university I apply to? Also how does the whole process of entering to sit STEP work? My AS grades weren't as good as expected, and I plan on retaking a couple of modules, I definitely know that I am capable of achieving top grades in maths and my school has a strict grade prediction policy, therefore I'm hoping STEP could save me if I don't end up getting A*s and try adjustment next year?

I think you can sit STEP regardless of which uni you apply to (I might do that). However, if you're not sure you're going to get an A* in Maths, are you sure sitting STEP is a good idea? STEP is incomparably more difficult than A Level maths and it's aimed at the kind of people who would get an A* with ease...
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
I think you can sit STEP regardless of which uni you apply to (I might do that). However, if you're not sure you're going to get an A* in Maths, are you sure sitting STEP is a good idea? STEP is incomparably more difficult than A Level maths and it's aimed at the kind of people who would get an A* with ease...

Oh I do feel quite confident that I can but never know what might happen. Did you too do not as well as you could've in your AS exams?
Oh I do feel quite confident that I can but never know what might happen. Did you too do not as well as you could've in your AS exams?

No, I'd like to take STEP because it looks fun.
Reply 4

You can sit STEP regardless if you want to - just a matter of getting your exams officer to put you in for the exam as normal (check the STEP website for deadlines etc).

Note that your school may well charge you the cost of entering the exam if STEP isn't part of your offer (everything costs money!), and even if you take the exam there's no guarantee that a Uni will take it into account. You basically have Cambridge and Warwick, where STEP is a pre-requisite; then about 4 or 5 other unis which explicitly state that they will accept a grade in STEP as part of an alternative offer typically with a reduced A Level or FM grade; then all the other unis which make no specific reference to it. You can use it as "evidence" of an interest in Maths, but if you muck up A levels and miss your formal offer, you can't rely on STEP to save you.

And as noted above, it does take a lot of preparation and commitment!
Reply 5
I've already applied and so far had 3 offers 2 of which have given a standard offer alone with a lower one that's said something like ( or A*AB with STEP ). I'm imagining that some unis lower entry requirement for it and others don't so it's probably worth checking :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone can take it regardless of where they've applied to or even what course they plan on doing. I'd try and find out when your normal A-Level exams are before you sign up for STEP, when I did it there were some horrendous clashes with the normal maths exams, and it's a lot of unnecessary pressure if you don't need it. It won't be of much use if you're trying to get a place through adjustment, as the top universities for maths won't be taking on new applicants at that stage, as they get far more applicants than places anyway. I'd say you should only do if you want to consider applying post A-Levels to one of these places, then it could get you an unconditional offer the following year.

Quick Reply

Latest