The Student Room Group

Should UK government be sending troops to Ebola regions

Poll

Should the UK government be sending troops to Ebola regions

It seems like absolute madness that the UK are sending 750 troops to the centre of the Ebola outbreak. First of all soldiers have signed up to protect the nation not to deal with this and also the government have been completely incompetent with Ebola- they have not stopped flights from the affected regions and have not introduced screening.

Now they are sending troops- what about risk of soldiers getting it? risk of them bringing it back to the UK? plus even if they are there can they really held in addition to medics already there

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29542129

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Was expecting this to be a thread about killing Africans.
Nope. Unless they are dropping off supplies from the air. No foot soldiers are really needed, it's not like it's a war down there.
Reply 3
Contrary to popular belief, you can't just solve any problem you may have by shooting it.
Reply 4
I'm pretty sure that's not the sort of shot they've been asking for.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by CJKay
I'm pretty sure that's not the sort of shot they've been asking for.

What? Soldiers are trained to provide medical assistance. They may have also experienced extreme conditions that most medical professionals haven't.
Reply 6
Original post by DErasmus
What? Soldiers are trained to provide medical assistance. They may have also experienced extreme conditions that most medical professionals haven't.

Whoosh.
Reply 7
Original post by CJKay
Whoosh.

I already made that joke, four people have voted no I was assuming you were one of them.
Reply 8
Original post by Ace123
It seems like absolute madness that the UK are sending 750 troops to the centre of the Ebola outbreak. First of all soldiers have signed up to protect the nation not to deal with this and also the government have been completely incompetent with Ebola- they have not stopped flights from the affected regions and have not introduced screening.

Now they are sending troops- what about risk of soldiers getting it? risk of them bringing it back to the UK? plus even if they are there can they really held in addition to medics already there

Do you think the troops are planning to exchange bodily fluids with the ebola patients?
Reply 9
Original post by Ace123

Of course they haven't. Do you know how expensive and unnecessary that would be? The risk is very low at the moment, until we have reason to doubt otherwise it makes absolutely no sense. Peoples lives can't just be stopped because a few people have had Ebola in foreign countries with very close connections to the people being treated.
(edited 9 years ago)
You join the forces usually because you're passionate about whatever line of work you're going into. The Medics will no doubt feel like they are making a great contribution and helping out the people who need it most.

Good luck to them.
Reply 11
I expect the real reason they are sending Army medical personnel is to learn to handle an outbreak of a lethal infectious disease with the side effect of helping Africans and getting some good will.

Its so the Army will know what to do if terrorists used biological warfare agents in Britain.
Original post by ryan9900
You join the forces usually because you're passionate about whatever line of work you're going into. The Medics will no doubt feel like they are making a great contribution and helping out the people who need it most.

Good luck to them.

Original post by Maker
I expect the real reason they are sending Army medical personnel is to learn to handle an outbreak of a lethal infectious disease with the side effect of helping Africans and getting some good will.

Its so the Army will know what to do if terrorists used biological warfare agents in Britain.

the voice of reason has spoken
Reply 13
Original post by Ace123

They are protecting the UK. If we allow this virus to continue to decimate Africa, it will spread here. Not on a major scale but we will see cases here, again and again and again. By helping stop the virus in Africa we protect ourselves. Had we sent troops and money when the outbreak first started we would't be having this conversation.

Stopping flights and screening passengers does absolutely nothing. Previous epidemics and pandemics have proved this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ace123

It is pretty daft isn't it? If even some of the soldiers come home with ebola, it would mean bad news for the U.K when they come home. I think ebola coming over here is pretty much inevitable. The question then is going to be are we going to be ready for it?
What I don't get is, why can't we quarantine the area? If it can't travel, it can't spread, just let it run its course, and when all its carriers die, no more ebola!
Original post by Skip_Snip
What I don't get is, why can't we quarantine the area? If it can't travel, it can't spread, just let it run its course, and when all its carriers die, no more ebola!

It seems that everyone understands what should be done, but clearly the government didn't get the memo or common sense for that matter.
I think it's a splendid idea. Shooting the entire population of West Africa is the only rational solution. A fine idea indeed. God save the Queen!
Why not send soldiers? For many it is boring being stuck on some base in the middle of nowhere, not putting your training to use. Everything they do is planned and all risks taken into account, they are going in to help set up treatment areas and assist medically; precautions will be taken. As has been said it is good training as well, learning to deal with a vast array of challenging situations is beneficial to us, as is helping other countries help where possible. Not only from a humanitarian stand point but also to help minimise the risk of it spreading around the globe.
Original post by Genocidal
I think it's a splendid idea. Shooting the entire population of West Africa is the only rational solution. A fine idea indeed. God save the Queen!

I really wouldn't be surprised if that's what the government was intending to do. Ebola is caught through exposure to body fluids, it hasn't become airborne. Although there is a possibility that it could become airborne. However, the government may think that it is best to get rid of the people who have the virus to stop it dead in it's tracks.

Quick Reply

Latest