The Student Room Group

Applying for A*AA Law courses with AAA

I've been predicted AAA at A level and im currently doing the AQA extended project qualification. I also want to do Law at university. So should i apply for law courses that require A*AA such as UCL,Kings college, Queen mary's or even LSE with these predicted grades? I would really appreciate some advice.
Reply 1
Not to UCL, KCL or LSE - they are already oversubscribed with A*AA applicants so that would result in rejections, unless you have mitigating circumstances. Queen Mary should make you an offer, and have a good Law school, but this simply depends on the quality and number of applicants they receive this year.

In short, QMUL maybe, but definitely not any of the other UoL Universities you mention.
Reply 2
Original post by vimto39
Not to UCL, KCL or LSE - they are already oversubscribed with A*AA applicants so that would result in rejections, unless you have mitigating circumstances. Queen Mary should make you an offer, and have a good Law school, but this simply depends on the quality and number of applicants they receive this year.

In short, QMUL maybe, but definitely not any of the other UoL Universities you mention.

Thank you for the advice.Could you recommend any other good University law courses i could possibly get into?
Reply 3
Original post by Championt1
Thank you for the advice.Could you recommend any other good University law courses i could possibly get into?

Let me know where you're already applying to, and what parts of the Country you'd preferably like to stay in?
Reply 4
Original post by vimto39
Let me know where you're already applying to, and what parts of the Country you'd preferably like to stay in?

I haven't decided exactly where I'm applying to buy I've got Queen Mary's,Bristol,Reading,Birmingham and Southhampton in mind.so what do you think?
Reply 5
I haven't decided exactly where I'm applying to buy I've got Queen Mary's,Bristol,Reading,Birmingham and Southhampton in mind.so what do you think?

Of those, I would say Bristol is the best, and although they ask for AAA, they are still pretty competitive and so I would put them down as a 'high-risk' option.

I'll summarise a little league table, but bare in mind this isn't necessarily reflective of how good the University / Course is, as it's quite subjective.

Oxford - AAA
Cambridge - A*AA
----
UCL -A*AA
LSE - A*AA
----
KCL - A*AA
Durham - A*AA
Warwick - AAA
Bristol - AAA
----
Manchester - AAA
Nottingham - A*AA
----
Birmingham - AAA
Queen Mary UoL - A*AA
Newcastle - AAA
Sheffield - AAA
York - AAA
Rest of Russell and 1994 Group Except below - generally AAA.
----
Leicester - AAB
Liverpool - AAB

Now if it was me, I would choose as follows:

We can rule most A*AA ones out, from the higher bits of the table.
I would pick two high risk, one fairly high risk, one comfortable and one insurance/bank choice.

As such, I would pick:

High risk - Warwick and Bristol
Fairly high risk - Manchester
Comfortable - Birmingham, Sheffield etc - maybe two and switch out Manchester and one of Warwick/Bristol
Insurance - Liverpool

The most important choice should be the insurance. If, for example, you would be more than happy to go to Liverpool, then applying to ones where you meet, or even don't meet wouldn't be a problem, but you would have to be happy with the insurance choice as there's a higher probability that you would end up there.

Sorry if that doesn't make great sense - in a bit of a rush. If you have any Q's about the above, just ask.
She's been predicted those grades though she could still achieve A*s.
You can still get into UCL and LSE.No matter what grades others have,you can still do it!Believe yourself!
Original post by L'Evil Fish
She's been predicted those grades though she could still achieve A*s.

True, of course, as UCAS statistics show a small % achieve better results than predicted. Similarly a slightly higher % also miss their predictions.

Oversubscribed universities avoid situations where a high no of students fail to meet their conditional offers by selecting those with much higher predicted than their minimum. That way even when these students miss their predicted narrowly they will still meet the conditions.

So, applying to unis like LSE and UCL with the minimum grades may not secure offers. They actually hint that in their Admissions Statement.
Original post by GandalfWhite
True, of course, as UCAS statistics show a small % achieve better results than predicted. Similarly a slightly higher % also miss their predictions.

Oversubscribed universities avoid situations where a high no of students fail to meet their conditional offers by selecting those with much higher predicted than their minimum. That way even when these students miss their predicted narrowly they will still meet the conditions.

So, applying to unis like LSE and UCL with the minimum grades may not secure offers. They actually hint that in their Admissions Statement.

What do you mean?
Original post by Skill Twix
What do you mean?

If you just meet the minimum you may not get an offer because they have so many with higher than minimum predicted grades.

LSE UCL have like 14:1 applicants per place versus other good universities with maybe 6:1.
Original post by GandalfWhite
If you just meet the minimum you may not get an offer because they have so many with higher than minimum predicted grades.

LSE UCL have like 14:1 applicants per place versus other good universities with maybe 6:1.

For instance,if you've got 2 A*s and an A for an A* A A,you still might be taken into account right?I am not applying to any of these but looking to applying to Warwick to read Economics!
For instance,if you've got 2 A*s and an A for an A* A A,you still might be taken into account right?I am not applying to any of these but looking to applying to Warwick to read Economics!

Yes, that's correct. Equally, there's no suggestion that you wouldn't get an offer with A*AA, it's just less likely.

At the end of the day, it's all subjective to the quality of the applicants applying. If most people are predicted A*AA, then having A*AA may not be a hindrance at all, but if most people are predicted A*A*A* then it more likely will be.
Original post by vimto39
Yes, that's correct. Equally, there's no suggestion that you wouldn't get an offer with A*AA, it's just less likely.

At the end of the day, it's all subjective to the quality of the applicants applying. If most people are predicted A*AA, then having A*AA may not be a hindrance at all, but if most people are predicted A*A*A* then it more likely will be.

I might be predicted A* A A but these might change.I might get predicted 2A*s and an A(resitting maths because I got a B at AS levels).So what you are saying is you won't get a conditional offer of A* AA?:0
I might be predicted A* A A but these might change.I might get predicted 2A*s and an A(resitting maths because I got a B at AS levels).So what you are saying is you won't get a conditional offer of A* AA?:0

No, what I am saying is that in meeting the entry requirements you may not, or may, be in the best position to receive an offer.

Essentially, the more A* the better. But as I say, this depends on the entire cohort.. and the personal statement, reference, etc.
Original post by vimto39
Of those, I would say Bristol is the best, and although they ask for AAA, they are still pretty competitive and so I would put them down as a 'high-risk' option.

I'll summarise a little league table, but bare in mind this isn't necessarily reflective of how good the University / Course is, as it's quite subjective.

Oxford - AAA
Cambridge - A*AA
----
UCL -A*AA
LSE - A*AA
----
KCL - A*AA
Durham - A*AA
Warwick - AAA
Bristol - AAA
----
Manchester - AAA
Nottingham - A*AA
----
Birmingham - AAA
Queen Mary UoL - A*AA
Newcastle - AAA
Sheffield - AAA
York - AAA
Rest of Russell and 1994 Group Except below - generally AAA.
----
Leicester - AAB
Liverpool - AAB

Now if it was me, I would choose as follows:

We can rule most A*AA ones out, from the higher bits of the table.
I would pick two high risk, one fairly high risk, one comfortable and one insurance/bank choice.

As such, I would pick:

High risk - Warwick and Bristol
Fairly high risk - Manchester
Comfortable - Birmingham, Sheffield etc - maybe two and switch out Manchester and one of Warwick/Bristol
Insurance - Liverpool

The most important choice should be the insurance. If, for example, you would be more than happy to go to Liverpool, then applying to ones where you meet, or even don't meet wouldn't be a problem, but you would have to be happy with the insurance choice as there's a higher probability that you would end up there.

Sorry if that doesn't make great sense - in a bit of a rush. If you have any Q's about the above, just ask.

Thanks a lot for all the information and advice. I think i'll keep one A*AA course(Either KCL or QMUL) with two AAA courses(most likely Bristol and Birmingham) and two AAB courses(University of Southhampton and University of Reading):smile:
Thanks a lot for all the information and advice. I think i'll keep one A*AA course(Either KCL or QMUL) with two AAA courses(most likely Bristol and Birmingham) and two AAB courses(University of Southhampton and University of Reading):smile:

Go with QMUL, of the two.

Quick Reply

Latest