The Student Room Group

No graduate jobs in UK-I hate it here!

I want to just run away from the UK and this bloody graduate unemployment !

Background:
Graduated from a politics degree high 2:1/worked for an international organisation/done a placement/worked briefly abroad/done countless volunteer roles (Yes, we all know politics is ****, thank you...:tongue:).

No jobs:
After applying for any jobs/only getting a few interviews, I decided I wanted to enter into academia (Msc/Phd) as I am genuinely interested. I got accepted into a top uni (just below Oxbridge) and was so thrilled. However, I got rejected for the CDL/could never save enough money. I looked in Europe but still couldn't save enough money needed to study abroad. So further education is out.

Hopeless...:
Now I don't know what else to do. I can't afford to do internships/volunteer abroad. I worked 7 days per week trying to save for my Msc cleaning toilets and earning less then min. wage (yes, LESS then min wage I was that desperate to get a full time job to save money it was the only way).

I actually feel a bit sick at the thought of being in this situation a year from now, as it's been so long looking. I actually can't think of anything else.

I know girls who have left the UK and worked in AU/Canada etc. doing general jobs (non-graduate).

Should I just save money and try my luck somewhere else? :frown:

Which country should I go too?

I ideally would like to work in a office (admin?) - Which country is good for this?

Anyone else in this situation/can help?
Reply 1
Welcome to the recession. Blame the banks and the bankers.
Reply 2
lol politics

are you seriously wondering why you can't find a related job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your CV looks very similar to mine - I too have a high 2:1 in politics and a variety of work experience. However, I'm in a graduate job. It's not your degree that's holding you back (unless you went to a bottom end uni), there's something else.

Things to consider
- Are you applying for grad jobs that are related to your work experience?
- Have you tried applying for jobs with organisations that you've worked at before? It's very common for people to get grad jobs with companies they've done something with before
- Have you been along to your uni's careers service to ask for help? It may be that you're just not filling in application forms very well, and that's hampering you. Many unis will still see alumni - my uni lets you go back for 2 years after you've graduated.
- Have you checked your social media presence, and googled yourself? It may be that that is putting employers off.
- How many job applications are you actually sending out? I've come across a number of people who have referred to having applied for "loads" of jobs, and then it turns out that they're only applying for one a week, which isn't going to get them anywhere. You should easily be able to put out 1-2 applications per day.
Reply 4
Maybe take Tefl then work abroad in places like China, South Korea or any Asian country you'll be teaching English. It's enjoyable, as I know a few people who left to the above countries and they are having a great time.
Might as well do this whilst you're young
Original post by MUN123
Maybe take Tefl then work abroad in places like China, South Korea or any Asian country you'll be teaching English. It's enjoyable, as I know a few people who left to the above countries and they are having a great time.
Might as well do this whilst you're young

Teaching English in Asia, never heard anyone say that on here before. But I heard it's fun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending