The Student Room Group

Ebola and not being able to control immigration

Let me get this straight:

-Ebola may now be in Spain.
-Spain is a part of the EU
-So too is UK
-Spanish people can therefore travel to UK with no restrictions
-They could bring Ebola with them and there's nothing we can do to prevent them coming here?

Oh wow- isn't the EU freedom of movement a great thing for the UK!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you're going to make anti EU arguments, could you at least try to use serious points? I'm going to hope that this is a joke.
Oh ****ing please Ebola is easy to deal with when you have modern medicine readily available and a lack of ridiculous local beliefs.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
If you're going to make anti EU arguments, could you at least try to use serious points? I'm going to hope that this is a joke.

If you're going to criticise- tell me EXACTLY what is incorrect with my post?
Reply 4
Original post by MangoFreak
Oh ****ing please Ebola is easy to deal with when you have modern medicine readily available.

Readily available- you mean like being sold at Gatwick WH Smith?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt Ebola is easy to deal with (although the world and his wife may disagree), what if this was an even more dangerous disease? Doesn't this highlight the dangers of a country not being allowed to fully control its own borders?
Original post by billydisco
If you're going to criticise- tell me EXACTLY what is incorrect with my post?

Firstly, there is absolutely no risk of an outbreak of Ebola in the UK. It's not particularly contagious (it only spreads via contact of bodily fluids) and the situation has only blown up in countries like Liberia because of their poor sanitation, social situation and healthcare. We are more than equipped to deal with any Ebola-related situation in the UK.

Secondly, what the hell has this got to do with the EU? Someone not from a EU member state could come into the UK with a tourist visa or something and in theory infect others. There's no compulsory Ebola-check for people coming into the UK, whether they're from the EU or not. I will agree that I am massively pro-EU, but I accept that there are some anti-EU arguments that at least aren't totally insane. This is totally insane.
Reply 6
Firstly, there is absolutely no risk of an outbreak of Ebola in the UK. It's not particularly contagious (it only spreads via contact of bodily fluids) and the situation has only blown up in countries like Liberia because of their poor sanitation, social situation and healthcare. We are more than equipped to deal with any Ebola-related situation in the UK.

Secondly, what the hell has this got to do with the EU? Someone not from a EU member state could come into the UK with a tourist visa or something and in theory infect others. There's no compulsory Ebola-check for people coming into the UK, whether they're from the EU or not. I will agree that I am massively pro-EU, but I accept that there are some anti-EU arguments that at least aren't totally insane. This is totally insane.

So, there was nothing factually or logically incorrect with my post? :rolleyes:

You know the answer to that. That doesn't change the fact that what you're implying on the basis of those facts is absurd. Don't say you weren't using that as an anti-EU argument, you were.

If you want to conclude that Ebola could come to the UK then your arguement is logically valid. Whether or not Ebola will come to the UK is a separate matter, let alone whether or not it will actually develop to become a serious problem.

As others have said, Ebola is a fairly easy disease to manage. The reason why it has spread so much in Africa is due to poorer facilities and the lack of education.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Let me get this straight:

-Ebola may now be in Spain.
-Spain is a part of the EU
-So too is UK
-Spanish people can therefore travel to UK with no restrictions
-They could bring Ebola with them and there's nothing we can do to prevent them coming here?

Oh wow- isn't the EU freedom of movement a great thing for the UK! Not only do we get low-skilled Polish, Romanian and Latvian murderers- we now get a dose of Ebola too! :rolleyes:

Repeated this on every Ebola thread but I will again. What exactly do you want us to do? Shut the borders? Put a big sign on the cliffs of Dover saying no entry?

Banning travel from areas that have an Ebola outbreak will do nothing, look at the Asian response to SARS they shut everything down and it achieved nothing. Closing our borders will do nothing except kill our economy and make us look like a laughing stock.
Reply 10
A country can't simply shut it's border. It would cost the country too much money
As a biologist i have to say i agree.Not just for uk-spain but countries need to take this seriously before it's too late.There must be some restrictions between liberia and other countries at least.
Reply 12
You know the answer to that. That doesn't change the fact that what you're implying on the basis of those facts is absurd. Don't say you weren't using that as an anti-EU argument, you were.

Its absurd I imply not being able to control our own borders is stupid?
Reply 13
Original post by Aj12
Repeated this on every Ebola thread but I will again. What exactly do you want us to do? Shut the borders? Put a big sign on the cliffs of Dover saying no entry?

Banning travel from areas that have an Ebola outbreak will do nothing, look at the Asian response to SARS they shut everything down and it achieved nothing. Closing our borders will do nothing except kill our economy and make us look like a laughing stock.

Errrr well if Spain has Ebola- then stop Spanish migration here for several weeks??? :rolleyes:
Reply 14
Original post by SHallowvale
If you want to conclude that Ebola could come to the UK then your arguement is logically valid. Whether or not Ebola will come to the UK is a separate matter, let alone whether or not it will actually develop to become a serious problem.

As others have said, Ebola is a fairly easy disease to manage. The reason why it has spread so much in Africa is due to poorer facilities and the lack of education.

and what if it wasn't a disease which is easy to manage?

What if all these non-EU Africans we admit carry a more dangerous disease? Was it really worth admitting them, considering they as skilled as a one-legged person in an arse-kicking competition?
Its absurd I imply not being able to control our own borders is stupid?

Firstly, it's pretty inaccurate to say we don't control our own borders because there are pretty obvious limitations to the EU laws. But yeah, I do think what you're saying is absurd. The entire idea of countries is an outdated and inefficient concept, only used to allow leaders to exploit nationalism for the gain of the elite.
Reply 16
Firstly, it's pretty inaccurate to say we don't control our own borders because there are pretty obvious limitations to the EU laws. But yeah, I do think what you're saying is absurd. The entire idea of countries is an outdated and inefficient concept, only used to allow leaders to exploit nationalism for the gain of the elite.

No it is not inaccurate- we cannot prevent an EU person from coming here. We can only prevent them from claiming benefits immediately.

So what you're really saying is, you want all the wealth in the UK to be given to poor EU countries? Yes or No?
Reply 17
Errrr well if Spain has Ebola- then stop Spanish migration here for several weeks??? :rolleyes:

Why? Because a Spanish nurse caught Ebola from an Ebola patient? We should bar all immigration from a close trade partner ( and tourism going both ways, that'll do wonders for the economy, can't have people going there if they can't come here) because a nurse did not follow the proper procedures?

Do you know anything about Ebola? As a recent article so eloquently put it you could give a handjob to an Ebola victim and you'd be fine if you washed your hands. This is not a disease that can spread far in a developed nation. It is not airborne, it does not survive for that long outside the body and when someone does become contagious they become very obvious very quickly. It's more likely you'd get murdered by a pissed off Spaniard than you'd get Ebola from them. There is not need for counter productive measures like closing the border.
No it is not inaccurate- we cannot prevent an EU person from coming here. We can only prevent them from claiming benefits immediately.

So what you're really saying is, you want all the wealth in the UK to be given to poor EU countries? Yes or No?

We can't prevent someone from the EU coming here, but that's not the same thing as "not being able to control our own borders". We have limited control, not no control.

I'm not saying we should give all our wealth to poor EU countries. I'm saying some of it should. We're all people. If other countries are given help to develop economically, we benefit in the long term. You're inventing this idea of "Them" and "Us". There is no "Them", there is only "Us". We're all humans, the only thing that separates us is the arbitrary piece of land we were born on.
What happens if a British person goes on Spain to Ebola, they might get Ebola and bring it back?

I think this kind of thread sums up the barrel scraping that goes on amongst the immigration-obsessed posters on here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending