The Student Room Group

F336: Kinetics of the reaction between iodine and Propanone

Hello I would really like some advice from whoever has done this experiment for their individual investigation OR who have chosen to undertake this experiment.
I am really stuck on how much chemical to order specifically the quantities and what concentration to choose. Can anyone help me out with this please?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Do you have a booklet containing all the practical worksheets that are used during the course? ‘TL4.3 Methods of following reactions’ is a good place to start if you're uncertain about what to do and what you need :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by kanra
Do you have a booklet containing all the practical worksheets that are used during the course? ‘TL4.3 Methods of following reactions’ is a good place to start if you're uncertain about what to do and what you need :smile:

I have a good idea on what I need. I need to get propanone solution, iodide solution and sulphuric acid but I am just stuck on what concentrations I need and how much of it I need to last me the whole length of this coursework - I know that the iodide solution is quite time consuming to prepare so ordering in too little then suddenly needing more of it would cost me a lot of time. Are you doing a similar experiment to this? Also thank you for the reply :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by minibuttons
I have a good idea on what I need. I need to get propanone solution, iodide solution and sulphuric acid but I am just stuck on what concentrations I need and how much of it I need to last me the whole length of this coursework - I know that the iodide solution is quite time consuming to prepare so ordering in too little then suddenly needing more of it would cost me a lot of time. Are you doing a similar experiment to this? Also thank you for the reply :smile:

I think it's best to order more, that way if you have any left over the school can use it. Ordering too much is always better than ordering too little. I'm actually just starting my second year at uni, but I did this exact experiment a few years ago. In my school I just told them what I needed, as opposed to how much of it I needed, and it was the school's job to make sure there was enough.

Quick Reply

Latest