The Student Room Group

How to introduce yourself in 20 seconds making you stand out

I have an assessment centre and know that we will be starting with everyone introducing themselves. Now, I'd usually go like

"Hi, my name is John and I studied Chemical Engineering at the University of Nottingham and only just graduated in July this year"

How can I elaborate on this slightly? The above statement would only take me around 7 sconds to say and I think a slightly longer (20 second) introduction would make an overall more positive impression. Opinions?

There are expected to be around 10-15 of us at the centre.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is there anything about you that would make others say "Really? Tell us more!"
Reply 2
Original post by Simes
Is there anything about you that would make others say "Really? Tell us more!"

It's hard to say what others would see as unique in me. I personally think some of the things that distinguish me from others are:

* Memorised Pi to 100 digits
* Fluent in 4 Languages with conversational knowledge of a 5th
* Can touch-type at 90+ wpm
* Memorised all capital cities of the world and all US presidents [and a whole load of other stuff]

Not really sure if it would be appropriate to talk about any of these though. I mean the last thing I want is to come across as a show off unless they ask specifically to state 1 special thing about yourself.
Reply 3
"Bonjour, Ciao, Buenos días, hi. Ich heisse John and I studied Chemical Engineering at the University of Nottingham and I graduated in July. I have a remarkable memory."

Someone will immediately ask about the memory, say back to them "Name a country" and tell them the capital. Say to another person: "Name another country" and tell them the capital of that country. If they haven't twigged what you're doing, do it a third time. Then sit down.

How's that for memorable?

I saw a stand-up comic do that stunt a couple of years ago: very impressive.

(Mark Thomas? My memory is rubbish.)
Reply 4
Original post by Simes
"Bonjour, Ciao, Buenos días, hi. Ich heisse John and I studied Chemical Engineering at the University of Nottingham and I graduated in July. I have a remarkable memory."

Someone will immediately ask about the memory, say back to them "Name a country" and tell them the capital. Say to another person: "Name another country" and tell them the capital of that country. If they haven't twigged what you're doing, do it a third time. Then sit down.

How's that for memorable?

I saw a stand-up comic do that stunt a couple of years ago: very impressive.

(Mark Thomas? My memory is rubbish.)

Thanks for the suggestion. Appreciate it. But I think it's a good idea if it was more of an informal event. Don't you think for a graduate assessment centre, this may be seen as over the top?

Especially the beginning as this could be seen as offensive (people in this country get offended far too easily if someone speaks a different language in front of them)
(edited 9 years ago)
I know all of the US presidents as well! :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by muffingg
Don't you think for a graduate assessment centre, this may be seen as over the top?

Dunno, mate.

The only time I've been to an assessment centre was a 2 day event run for the Civil Service by KPMG or one of them lot. In the middle of the first afternoon I told them I thought what they were doing was a load of irrelevant bobbins and I walked out.

So my opinion might not be worth much...
Reply 7
(people in this country get offended far too easily if someone speaks a different language in front of them)
:confused:

Which country? Which decade?

Anyway, if you're shy of using the skills you have, I can't help you.
Reply 8
instead of hi say wagwaun

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Simes
:confused:

Which country? Which decade?

Anyway, if you're shy of using the skills you have, I can't help you.

I'm not shy at all. I just think it would need to be more professional. I'm fine with pulling off something funny.

And I'm talking about the UK. From schools, to universities, to various types of workplaces to even buses and trains: wherever you speak a different langauge, people who don't understand it will get offended and will start hating on you. Some more open people will even confront you directly while others will just talk to their own friends about what a **** this guy is and he should be speaking English as this is an English country bla bla bla. It's all over the country. I don't know where you are coming from.
Reply 10
"Hi, my name is John and I studied Chemical Engineering at the University of Nottingham and only just graduated in July this year"

I actually prefer this the most- its friendly and natural. If you want, put in a quirky fact like how you've memorized pi (kudos btw). I don't necessarily think there's an advantage in appearing 'impressive' before even getting to the activities and tasks of the assessment centre.
Reply 11
Original post by Sakoha
I actually prefer this the most- its friendly and natural. If you want, put in a quirky fact like how you've memorized pi (kudos btw). I don't necessarily think there's an advantage in appearing 'impressive' before even getting to the activities and tasks of the assessment centre.

I'd agree with that. It doesn't have to be quirky or anything, I was rather just looking for what the next thing would be to state when introducing yourselves to everyone after Name, Course, Uni, Graduation Year.
Wow. Just wow, you are incredibly boring it's unreal.
Reply 13
Original post by SlenderMan1992

Agree.
Original post by SlenderMan1992

Wasn't a crime last time I checked, cut him some slack!
Reply 15
It's hard to say what others would see as unique in me. I personally think some of the things that distinguish me from others are:

* Memorised Pi to 100 digits
* Fluent in 4 Languages with conversational knowledge of a 5th
* Can touch-type at 90+ wpm
* Memorised all capital cities of the world and all US presidents [and a whole load of other stuff]

Not really sure if it would be appropriate to talk about any of these though. I mean the last thing I want is to come across as a show off unless they ask specifically to state 1 special thing about yourself.

Pi - mate that's a little sad.
Languages - interesting but so cliché to bring it up
90+ wpm - uninteresting
Memorised etc - quite interesting if phrased right, but risk looking like you're trying to show off if you don't pitch it right.
I have an assessment centre and know that we will be starting with everyone introducing themselves. Now, I'd usually go like

How can I elaborate on this slightly? The above statement would only take me around 7 sconds to say and I think a slightly longer (20 second) introduction would make an overall more positive impression. Opinions?

There are expected to be around 10-15 of us at the centre.

I'm afraid you're nothing special. Most people won't stand out, since most people wont' get the job.

It's just pot luck, maybe the interviewer had a nice breakfast that morning, maybe when you smile, you have dimples in your cheeks.

Interviews are a miserable experience. I've only ever succeed in getting a job from an interview once in my life, and I was fired shortly thereafter for incompetence. Fat lot good that interview process was.

It's much easier to go for jobs where you're like, can I sign up, and they say yeah sure.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by M1011
Pi - mate that's a little sad.
Languages - interesting but so cliché to bring it up
90+ wpm - uninteresting
Memorised etc - quite interesting if phrased right, but risk looking like you're trying to show off if you don't pitch it right.

I'm sorry Mr fascinating, what would you say?

I think the honest reality is at 21-22 most people really don't really have alot to say. I was at a graduate event where some of the best grads in the country had to get up and say an interesting fact about themselves, and almost everyone was remarkably mundane. Get off your high horse Mr.

And as for the Op don't worry the fact that you can converse in 4 different languages is genuinely remarkable. Just that should be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
That's all pretty cool. Did you use any particular technique to memorise that much of pi?

Given ten minutes or so I can regurgitate something like the first thirty digits using a piphilogical poem.
I would definitely include the languages. Maybe mention the time frame it took you to learn all 4 or if it was self-taught? Language is a strong advantage that not many people have, you'd want to point this out especially at a grad assessment. If you still have time, maybe say why you studied Chem Eng or what you based your dissertation on?

I wouldn't include the rest like pi or typing, it's not really appropriate for an introduction and it's a bit :K:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending