The Student Room Group

A2 Organic Chemistry help?

I have four questions to complete and I don't understand any of them. There isn't much in the textbook and I can't get my head around the worksheet so I need a bit of help!

Task One: Write equations for the following saponification reactions:
a) propyl ethanoate + potassium hydroxide
b) methylethyl methanoate + sodium hydroxide

Task Two: The lipid containing three fatty acids units of palmelotelic oil CH3(CH2)5CH=CH(CH2)7COOH can be
a) reacted with potassium hydroxide to make soap and
b) reacted with methanol/sodium hydroxide to make biodiesel.
Write equations for these reactions.

Please help, I'd be really grateful!
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
ummm
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Task 1

the general equation here is

ester + alkali --> alcohol + salt of carboxylic acid (Na salt if using NaOH, K salt if using KOH)
Reply 5
Again not 100% sure but this is my guess :smile: hope this helped

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emma-Rowney
I have four questions to complete and I don't understand any of them. There isn't much in the textbook and I can't get my head around the worksheet so I need a bit of help!

Task One: Write equations for the following saponification reactions:
a) propyl ethanoate + potassium hydroxide
b) methylethyl methanoate + sodium hydroxide

Task Two: The lipid containing three fatty acids units of palmelotelic oil CH3(CH2)5CH=CH(CH2)7COOH can be
a) reacted with potassium hydroxide to make soap and
b) reacted with methanol/sodium hydroxide to make biodiesel.
Write equations for these reactions.

Please help, I'd be really grateful!

Just go on chemguide and learn it the proper way. There are many resources out there, you don't need a textbook.

If you're in A2 you should be more independent with your studies

Quick Reply

Latest