The Student Room Group

White South-African's create a White-only town in SA.

Welcome to Orania, South Africa. A White-only town, keeping the spirit of apartheid alive. Founded in 1991 by relatives of the late apartheid architect, Satan himself, Hendrik Verwoerd. Incredible huh? Thoughts? Discuss.

I think the problem here are black South Africans who let them get away with this. The cheek. This could never happen in the UK or in Europe, regardless of all the fear mongering the UK tabloids do about these 'ethnics' taking our jobs and our women (lol).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29475977

Scroll to see replies

Very creepy.
Reply 2
Don't see the problem if this is voluntary.
iirc Louis Theroux visited this place in one of his shows. One of the funny/ironic points was meeting this hardline white supremacist couple who nevertheless were big fans of Whitney Houston and the Jackson 5.
Remember there's no white in the rainbow. You know many Boers have been ethnically cleansed and the western media ignored their plight? More than any blacks were killed in Apartheid.
Life is tough in South Africa there's a lot of crime, not just anti-white crime. But also no-whites allowed affirmative action policies which means if you're white you can't get a job. Segregation is there to protect the population. It's only racist because they're white. Jews live in their segregated Jewish communities and nobody bats an eyelid.
You know the hypocrisy of white British people over South Africa is your people put Boer South African's into concentration camps where 27,927 died. A small number of blacks were put into camps too though the number who died is not known.
Original post by SophiaLDN
Welcome to Orania, South Africa. A White-only town, keeping the spirit of apartheid alive. Founded in 1991 by relatives of the late apartheid architect, Satan himself, Hendrik Verwoerd. Incredible huh? Thoughts? Discuss.

I think the problem here are black South Africans who let them get away with this. The cheek. This could never happen in the UK or in Europe, regardless of all the fear mongering the UK tabloids do about these 'ethnics' taking our jobs and our women (lol).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29475977

People naturally gravitate towards people like themselves - look at Stamford Hill in London - huge Jewish population; a big Turkish and Kurdish presence in Hackney; Peterborough contains the Poles etc.

I am not saying that Orania is right, but if you had lived in South Africa over the last few decades, you would have seen huge upheaval.

The Afrikaaners went from being top dog to underdog virtually overnight. They saw their culture ridiculed and they were sidelined. Affimative action ensured that white afrikaaners were bottom of the pile when it came to jobs.

This is their little way of keeping their tribe alive.

If this were a community of Xhosa nobody would bat an eyelid
Reply 9
Original post by squeakysquirrel
People naturally gravitate towards people like themselves - look at Stamford Hill in London - huge Jewish population; a big Turkish and Kurdish presence in Hackney; Peterborough contains the Poles etc.

I am not saying that Orania is right, but if you had lived in South Africa over the last few decades, you would have seen huge upheaval.

The Afrikaaners went from being top dog to underdog virtually overnight. They saw their culture ridiculed and they were sidelined. Affimative action ensured that white afrikaaners were bottom of the pile when it came to jobs.

This is their little way of keeping their tribe alive.

If this were a community of Xhosa nobody would bat an eyelid

How can you compare this to London though? Yes, people gravitate towards each other but they've declared this a white-only town.. in Africa. No one else. I'm not Jewish but I can move to Stamford Hill if I wish, no one will run me out of town or stop me from moving in because of my race/ethnicity. Nor will they enforce apartheid if I wish to move to where all the Turkish people are at.

Whose fault was that? That they broke free from the oppression caused by the Dutch people who came to South Africa? I don't think you realise how horiffic SA was during those times..

Black South Africans are at the bottom of the pile even now. The vast majority in senior positions (3/4) are white according to The Economist. They have better job opportunities than black South Africans do, even though the latter outnumber them. There are also positive discrimination quotas for white South Africans too. Anyway, this isn't even the point I don't see why you're making excuses for them to have their very own racist town which is a white-only zone in an African country. If this happened in the west (black-only town), I wonder if you'd be so quick to make excuses for them? :rolleyes:

Typo, I think you mean 'a little way of keeping hate alive', no?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
White only town in South Africa? Since when is that news? That's one of the most racist places in the world, let's not forget.
What's wrong with having a white only town? If they're not harming anyone let them.
Reply 12
Original post by Queen Rosemary
What's wrong with having a white only town? If they're not harming anyone let them.

Are you serious? Did you just sniff mayonnaise before posting that???

Do you honestly see nothing wrong with a white only town in a multi-ethnic and historically racially charged country like South Africa - which is still recovering from Apartheid?
Original post by LkMa
Are you serious? Did you just sniff mayonnaise before posting that???

Do you honestly see nothing wrong with a white only town in a multi-ethnic and historically racially charged country like South Africa - which is still recovering from Apartheid?

As long as they're not abusing ethnic people then there's nothing wrong with it.
Original post by SophiaLDN
How can you compare this to London though? Yes, people gravitate towards each other but they've declared this a white-only town.. in Africa. No one else. I'm not Jewish but I can move to Stamford Hill if I wish, no one will run me out of town or stop me from moving in because of my race/ethnicity. Nor will they enforce apartheid if I wish to move to where all the Turkish people are at.

Whose fault was that? That they broke free from the oppression caused by the Dutch people who came to South Africa? I don't think you realise how horiffic SA was during those times..

Black South Africans are at the bottom of the pile even now. The vast majority in senior positions (3/4) are white according to The Economist. They have better job opportunities than black South Africans do, even though the latter outnumber them. There are also positive discrimination quotas for white South Africans too. Anyway, this isn't even the point I don't see why you're making excuses for them to have their very own racist town which is a white-only zone in an African country. If this happened in the west (black-only town), I wonder if you'd be so quick to make excuses for them? :rolleyes:

Typo, I think you mean 'a little way of keeping hate alive', no?

Exactly. Needn't read the rest since this just about covers it but I did and you pretty much nailed it. Don't know where the algebra is in this; clearly it's racist if it's exclusively for a certain race? :rolleyes: Oh and then on top of that it's been founded by a white immigrant. What kinda warped pilgrimage is this now? That's like if a Muslim comes to UK and declares a "Muslim only town." Imagine the hysteria then. Oh and I remember seeing something about a Muslim only flat and people lost their ****. And that was just A FLAT.
As long as they're not abusing ethnic people then there's nothing wrong with it.

Why do people always go to extremes when discussing racism and social issues? That's so simple, because clearly you're denying the intent which is the worst part of racism anyway. Racist is a person with a racial mentality; discrimination is the action of a racist mentality; racism is the state of discrimination, due to a society of racists, which includes segregation.

Are you dense, mate.
Reply 16
they should call it district 9
Original post by Madd Taurusette
Why do people always go to extremes when discussing racism and social issues? That's so simple, because clearly you're denying the intent which is the worst part of racism anyway. Racist is a person with a racial mentality; discrimination is the action of a racist mentality; racism is the state of discrimination, due to a society of racists, which includes segregation.

Are you dense, mate.

I don't see how it's racist when the city's existence is protected by the SA's constitution. They're not harming anyone, they are not saying it's whites-only rather Afrikaans who happen to be white they're actually of dutch descent so European.
Reply 18

What if an ethnicity other than white founded a racially exclusive neighborhood in London, how would you react to that?

Do you realize that in Orania, a non Afrikaner cannot get a job, a house or anything permanent there? Do you find that normal? What if Goldman Sachs London announced tomorrow that it will only hire Jewish candidates? Is it not the same principle? I highly doubt that you would condone such things in the UK, why do you find it OK if it happens somewhere else?
Reply 19
Original post by Madd Taurusette
Exactly. Needn't read the rest since this just about covers it but I did and you pretty much nailed it. Don't know where the algebra is in this; clearly it's racist if it's exclusively for a certain race? :rolleyes: Oh and then on top of that it's been founded by a white immigrant. What kinda warped pilgrimage is this now? That's like if a Muslim comes to UK and declares a "Muslim only town." Imagine the hysteria then. Oh and I remember seeing something about a Muslim only flat and people lost their ****. And that was just A FLAT.

Basically this! I posted this thread specifically to TSR to see what people's comments would be like as there's mass hysteria in this forum/ the media over immigration in the west and foreigners taking over (literally over nothing :rolleyes:). So flip the coin and show a real example and then what? People will literally go ape-**** if that happened here, rightfully so. Not surprised that 2 people already tried to make excuses for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending