The Student Room Group

Vet Nursing 2015 Help

I want to study Vet Nursing at Uni starting September 2015, however there are a lot of questions that I am unable to find answers for so I though you might be able to help.

The first problem is work experience. I currently have one week in a small animal practice and have another in october. I have also been going to my local stables and have done 35 hours there (what I am counting as a weeks worth of hours). My problem is that some of the uni's want to have two week in an animal environment and I don't think I will be able to get another 35 hours at the stables until end of december (my school wants me to have my application in by november.) Would I be allowed to say that I have done two weeks at the stables if when I give my application in I technically haven't but when it comes to interviews and things I defiantly will have?

The other problem I have is student housing. I know a couple of the uni's only make you pay for the weeks that you are there so that you don't have to pay when you are on placement somewhere elce but almost all say you have to pay in block. So does that mean that I will have to pay for one year of housing and then not be there for half of it when I am on placement? Also if I am moved far away would have I have to pay for two places of accommodation, the year that I payed for the uni accommodation and a place for me to stay when on placement.

If any of you could give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi!

I don't think the work experience thing wil be a problem, I'm applying for September 2015 and I'm in a similar situation to yourself-I've applied to work at a zoo next summer before I go to uni, and on my UCAS application/personal statement I'm going to say that I have work experience planned. So if you have work experience planned for December I'd put it down that you've done or will be completing 2 weeks work experience :smile: I hope that helps!

Yes, I've heard about the block payments, but unfortunately I don't know much about it! Sorry! :/
Hello Lucy,

As h0ffers said, with regards to work experience, just state that you have more planned in the next couple of months. I've seen a couple of courses state that 4 weeks is needed with at least 2 weeks of it done already, so you should be fine.

My previous preferred you to pay in block every term but they would come to monthly agreements if need be. If you're not there for the second half of the year, as you'll be on placement, I'm sure they'll come to some arrangement with you and once you move away for your placement, they might give the room to someone else who is on the waiting list. Don't worry about it :smile:. It'll all work out fine.
Just ensure you've put in your statement that you are planning more experience, my experience is 1 year in a pet shop (part time job) and 3 weeks in a vets but because I've booked my placement every Tuesday up until July 2015 I just mentioned this to make them aware, although the universities says 2 weeks in a vets and 2 weeks elsewhere!
It all depends on where you want to go, but it's mostly at least 2 weeks before interview is all you need if you get your application off either when you are doing your second week or just after :smile:

With the accomodation I know that RVC only charge you for the weeks that you are there, and Harper Adams charge you for the room but if you are in catered accomodation you get the food money reimbursed, and in general if you go on placement half way through the year and don't return until the next acedemic year they shouldn't charge you for the half of the year that you're not there :smile:

I've got 6 weeks in small animal vets, and am working 5 days a week in a cattery at the moment and also muck out at a private yard one day a week, in general you don't need this much, but I've taken a gap year because I didn't have enough work experience for the degree last year, so I've been able to fit in a lot :smile: Good luck! xo
Original post by h0ffers
Hi!

I don't think the work experience thing wil be a problem, I'm applying for September 2015 and I'm in a similar situation to yourself-I've applied to work at a zoo next summer before I go to uni, and on my UCAS application/personal statement I'm going to say that I have work experience planned. So if you have work experience planned for December I'd put it down that you've done or will be completing 2 weeks work experience :smile: I hope that helps!

Yes, I've heard about the block payments, but unfortunately I don't know much about it! Sorry! :/

same with me, I jut put down all work experience I will have completed by then (:
Can your work experience 'expire'? I have around 13 weeks, but only 2 being in a SA practice back in 2012. I have a few days in a clinic, and an equine vets (on call visits) but they were in summer 2013. Would this count as the minimum 2 weeks in a vet practice?
:'(
I've read about someone getting rejected because of this, by Nottingham Trent. I'm applying to Middlesex and RVC.
Original post by Jamie_11_x
Unfortunately, yes. Your work experience would have to be within the last 18 months so you will need to have gained 2 weeks in or after July 2013. You will need to have completed two weeks before applyin

So even if I book some now, for jan/feb it wont count? :/
Original post by Liberty.
Can your work experience 'expire'? I have around 13 weeks, but only 2 being in a SA practice back in 2012. I have a few days in a clinic, and an equine vets (on call visits) but they were in summer 2013. Would this count as the minimum 2 weeks in a vet practice?
:'(
I've read about someone getting rejected because of this, by Nottingham Trent. I'm applying to Middlesex and RVC.

It it depends on the institute I would enquire by email, but soon as possible due to the deadline for ucas is approaching! I know NTU require two weeks within 18 months and RVC is 4 weeks but unsure if they specified
So even if I book some now, for jan/feb it wont count? :/

It just depends, some may accept it and some may not I would try emailing around :smile:
It just depends, some may accept it and some may not I would try emailing around :smile:

Middlesex don't specify either :afraid:
Emailed them as soon as I saw your first reply :rolleyes:
Yeh, this was a bit of a spur-of-the-moment decision :colondollar:
Thanks

Also, have you had to give in detailed references?
Also, have you had to give in detailed references?

I had to give a reference at my interview with ntu a couple of weeks ago but I suppose you could always ask
Has anyone got an offer for Vet nursing without completing the 2 weeks work experience(before applying)? I already hold a conditional offer for Animal science at nottingham trent but think vet nursing would be more beneficial but I havent had the chance to work in a vets yet as I work full time. Ive worked in a pet store for over a year & a half and worked at an equine yard plus being a dog sitter. Does anyone know what way they count the two weeks? like 5 days for 2 weeks if that makes sense? or does it have to be 14 full days? thanks :smile:
I had to give a reference at my interview with ntu a couple of weeks ago but I suppose you could always ask

Hi Jamie, have you already had your vet interview?
Im worried I'll miss the interview date as I haven't applied to transfer my course yet.
I thought it would be later on in the year too

How was the interview and how long was it?
Original post by NiniTanya
Has anyone got an offer for Vet nursing without completing the 2 weeks work experience(before applying)? I already hold a conditional offer for Animal science at nottingham trent but think vet nursing would be more beneficial but I havent had the chance to work in a vets yet as I work full time. Ive worked in a pet store for over a year & a half and worked at an equine yard plus being a dog sitter. Does anyone know what way they count the two weeks? like 5 days for 2 weeks if that makes sense? or does it have to be 14 full days? thanks :smile:

Hiya! As an applicant and current offer holder I know you have to have 2 weeks in an animal practice within the last 18 months and I think it means working weeks! I've been working in a pet shop for over s year and a vets since September and they do reject you straight away If you haven't got two weeks before applying
Original post by NiniTanya
Hi Jamie, have you already had your vet interview?
Im worried I'll miss the interview date as I haven't applied to transfer my course yet.
I thought it would be later on in the year too

How was the interview and how long was it?

Yeah I had mine on December 9th, I'm assuming they'll be holding them throughout January as the deadline isn't up until mid January! And the interview contained a few things like tours and practical sessions and the actual interview itself! It wasn't too bad at all the interview lasted around 8 minutes there were 50 people there roughly anyway. The session lasted from 9-12
Yeah I had mine on December 9th, I'm assuming they'll be holding them throughout January as the deadline isn't up until mid January! And the interview contained a few things like tours and practical sessions and the actual interview itself! It wasn't too bad at all the interview lasted around 8 minutes there were 50 people there roughly anyway. The session lasted from 9-12

Okay thank you very much! Im hoping they'll have to hold interviews maybe in march cause there'll be some people applying through extra(i think) Theres no way I can work in a vets until February at-least so I really hope there is more interviews. That dosen't sound bad at all.. thanks :smile:
Hiya! As an applicant and current offer holder I know you have to have 2 weeks in an animal practice within the last 18 months and I think it means working weeks! I've been working in a pet shop for over s year and a vets since September and they do reject you straight away If you haven't got two weeks before applying

ahh okay, thanks :smile: i better ring them up to see what I can do
Just so people know, Middlesex doesn't have a restraint with when you actually did you work experience :smile:
So it can be more than 18 months ago :biggrin: there is hope after all

Oh, but they give out offers first come first serve :argh: what even...
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending