The Student Room Group

What does a geek think when he sees a really pretty geek?

This isn't the beginning of some joke! - I was just curious about what goes on in a geeky guy's mind. Not the type of geek that is just 'looking geeky' from the geek-chic trend, but a guy that is genuinely into geeky stuff.

Consider this scenario:

There is a club, that is predominantly male, that does geeky LARP or something, and everyone there ranges from normal/ stereotypically geeky. It's the day that new people sign up, and a relatively pretty girl walks in, to sign up, who doesn't look like she has a geeky bone in her body...

What would the other geeky people think of this newcomer?
Would they assume that she's not a genuine geek, that's into the same stuff as them?
Would they dismiss anything she said about her geeky interests as being "the obvious answer" when they asked? - And would this be judged on her appearance or actual interests?
Would they be attracted to her?
Would some feel intimidated by her?
Would some feel the need to make sure she stays in the club? - to boost the social standing of the club? - it's really shallow, but I'm only asking out of curiosity.
Would they discuss this among their peers when she's (not) around?

Just to clarify, the girl in question is into geeky stuff, and visually does not resemble the stereotypical idea of a geek in any obvious way.
She is actually insecure about her social standing and where she fits in, since she recognises that she is treated differently by popular people, to how other people are with her same interests.
She feels to some extent intimidated by both, when making a first impression, seeing as she knows that she doesn't fit in with the popular people, but she recognises that the populars automatically accept her (before knowing her geeky side) and that she worries that the geeky people may assume she is a fake at a first glance (and as a result, may pay her more attention than she would like, since she is also very shy and introverted). She knows that she can be herself a lot more with the geeks (since she basically is one) but knows that she is somewhere inbetween (if not closer to the geeky side) the two, rather than one or the other.

I wanted to know your thoughts on this, since it is something I randomly thought about and I was basically curious. :smile:
you're the inwardly geeky pretty girl in this story, aren't you? :tongue:

I think the girl would just be treated like everybody else. You're totally overthinking it.

You need to stop assuming that people would judge a book by its cover.

I don't look "stereotypically geeky" but I role-play. Nobody thinks anything of it.

What would the other geeky people think of this newcomer? - they'd be curious about her LARPing background as they would with any other newcomer.

Would they assume that she's not a genuine geek, that's into the same stuff as them? - no.

Would they dismiss anything she said about her geeky interests as being "the obvious answer" when they asked? - And would this be judged on her appearance or actual interests? - appearance is irrelevant

Would they be attracted to her? - maybe, depends if you're their type, and whether or not they're single. Same as anybody else in any other situation.

Would some feel intimidated by her? - not unless they're insecure, same as in any other situation.

Would some feel the need to make sure she stays in the club? - to boost the social standing of the club? - it's really shallow, but I'm only asking out of curiosity. - no

Would they discuss this among their peers when she's (not) around? - no more than they would anyone else
(edited 9 years ago)
Some geeks have this weird "I'm in the club" psychology going on to whom you have nothing to prove; most of them don't. Either way, go play with them and soon you'll all be friends. It's not as complicated as you seem to think. :colone: Just do what makes you happy.
When a geek meets a geek he/she things that God is not cruel and he has create more such products :biggrin: He/she feels like home, with boredom in air and love at confusion.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

I think the girl would just be treated like everybody else. You're totally overthinking it.

I don't look "stereotypically geeky" but I role-play. Nobody thinks anything of it.

What would the other geeky people think of this newcomer? - they'd be curious about her LARPing background as they would with any other newcomer.

Would they assume that she's not a genuine geek, that's into the same stuff as them? - no.

Would they dismiss anything she said about her geeky interests as being "the obvious answer" when they asked? - And would this be judged on her appearance or actual interests? - appearance is irrelevant

Would they be attracted to her? - maybe, depends if you're their type, and whether or not they're single. Same as anybody else in any other situation.

Would some feel intimidated by her? - not unless they're insecure, same as in any other situation.

Would some feel the need to make sure she stays in the club? - to boost the social standing of the club? - it's really shallow, but I'm only asking out of curiosity. - no

Would they discuss this among their peers when she's (not) around? - no more than they would anyone else

That's exactly what I thought.
Right on dude!
Reply 5
In the words of Robin Williams: "Men have a brain and a penis, but only enough blood supply to use one at a time." Put simply, we don't think
In my experiences (as a female geek), things can get very hostile. I know this one guy that gets very hostile when there's more than one female attending the local wargames club. His cynicism has gotten to the point where he started hating me (and we were pretty much best friends a few years ago, too). These type of people would assume she knows nothing about being a geek, or anything that they know about.

However, some people don't care if there's a geeky girl.
Reply 7
Original post by LaughingKitsune
In my experiences (as a female geek), things can get very hostile. I know this one guy that gets very hostile when there's more than one female attending the local wargames club. His cynicism has gotten to the point where he started hating me (and we were pretty much best friends a few years ago, too). These type of people would assume she knows nothing about being a geek, or anything that they know about.

However, some people don't care if there's a geeky girl.

Yeah, I think most people that were there didn't seem to care, but there were these two guys that criticised EVERYTHING that came out of my mouth, and kept saying stuff like "Oh, that's the obvious answer" and making some in-joke about it, knowing I wouldn't get the reference. But I just thought they would be like that to everyone, until this other girl came along, who had the exact same interests as me, and she looked and acted more like the stereotype, and they didn't say a thing about/ to her. It was because of that, ​that got me thinking.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, I think most people that were there didn't seem to care, but there were these two guys that criticised EVERYTHING that came out of my mouth, and kept saying stuff like "Oh, that's the obvious answer" and making some in-joke about it, knowing I wouldn't get the reference. But I just thought they would be like that to everyone, until this other girl came along, who had the exact same interests as me, and she looked and acted more like the stereotype, and they didn't say a thing about/ to her. It was because of that, ​that got me thinking.

We get confused when we see a pretty geek... It's very rare (and our greatest dream)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

Yes, you hit the nail on the head - it is me.

You see, I thought the exact same thing as you, that looks don't matter and such, until I went to join this club. The existing members were normal, but it was these other two newcomers that were the problem. They basically made fun of everything I said, and when this other girl came in having the exact same interests as me, they didn't say anything about/ to her, which is what got me thinking.

For all I know, it may not even have anything to do with appearance, and it could be an issue of race (since I am the only black person to join the club, and one of the few ethnic people to live in the area) but I personally think a majority of the UK has moved on from that.
i would think "maybe she would like to tweak my Python"
Reply 11

You see, I thought the exact same thing as you, that looks don't matter and such, until I went to join this club. The existing members were normal, but it was these other two newcomers that were the problem. They basically made fun of everything I said, and when this other girl came in having the exact same interests as me, they didn't say anything about/ to her, which is what got me thinking.

For all I know, it may not even have anything to do with appearance, and it could be an issue of race (since I am the only black person to join the club, and one of the few ethnic people to live in the area) but I personally think a majority of the UK has moved on from that.

I think it's more they don't believe there's a pretty geek so they're testing you

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm confused as to why you think some humans experience life completely differently just because they have a few niche interests.

How does an interest in sci-fi and comics impact upon the mechanics of interpersonal sexual attraction?

a) It doesn't

Okay, let's break it down here.
Do you think they treated you differently because you don't look like a geek, or because you're pretty?

What are we saying a stereotypical female geek looks like anyway? Like this?

It's the glasses and the ponytail thing isn't it? lol

For the record, it really isn't essential to wear a pair of glasses to be interested in roleplaying.

I mean look at Felicia Day. She's very pretty, and she's about the most prolific female geek out there.

"perhaps she would like to benchmark my token ring dongle :sexface:"
they all want to **** you, but are too frightened to do so.
They get a hadron

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending