The Student Room Group

US Obesity criticism for the NHS.............Why the UK is getting fatter!

So a lecturer from the US has put forward the theory that the UK is getting fatter because individuals have no incentive not to drink, smoke or reduce their weight as the NHS is free.

Discuss? agree or disagree?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bill_Gates
So a lecturer from the US has put forward the theory that the UK is getting fatter because individuals have no incentive not to drink, smoke or reduce their weight as the NHS is free.

Well the US system isn't free and obesity is high there too. Pot calling kettle black much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember an American cruise ship docking in Antigua and seeing the passengers disembarking. I have never seen so many fat people - and we are not talking chubby here - morbid obesity. Because they were so fat they had to walk slowly - the ones who still had use of their legs. Many had mobility scooters. It was like a slow motion film - and their blubber wobbled as they walked……urgh.
Reply 4
Original post by Obiejess
Well the US system isn't free and obesity is high there too. Pot calling kettle black much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by squeakysquirrel
I remember an American cruise ship docking in Antigua and seeing the passengers disembarking. I have never seen so many fat people - and we are not talking chubby here - morbid obesity. Because they were so fat they had to walk slowly - the ones who still had use of their legs. Many had mobility scooters. It was like a slow motion film - and their blubber wobbled as they walked……urgh.

Original post by InsertWittyName

I agree with you all however obesity and poverty are closely linked. In the US and the UK we have high levels of relative poverty both are quite similar in levels of obesity or will be eventually.

However he makes the point that, NHS spending on these fatties is essentially dead money?
Reply 5
There are disincentives to drinking and smoking, but the tax could always be increased. The NHS being free means it doesn't act as a disincentive either, but pricing people out of treatment that will make them healthy doesn't help either.
I agree with you all however obesity and poverty are closely linked. In the US and the UK we have high levels of relative poverty both are quite similar in levels of obesity or will be eventually.

However he makes the point that, NHS spending on these fatties is essentially dead money?

Not necessarily. If we make people more aware that a certain lifestyle will hospitalise them they are less likely to do it. We need more money on prevention tbf, not less altogether.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Obiejess
Not necessarily. If we make people more aware that a certain lifestyle will hospitalise them they are less likely to do it. We need more money on prevention tbf, not less altogether.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh don't see that happening unless we restrict the supply or tax further unhealthy food. Information alone won't do it. But then we create a society which limits the freedoms of the genuinely healthy who can stay out the biscuit cupboard.....
Erm i don't think the United States are one to judge, they have many amazing things to offer; their healthcare system isnt one of them. Probably more propaganda for the Americans to devour to try and convince them that free healthcare is the devil, even though having to pay leaves many people without any or without sufficient healthcare. Yawn. I don't think someone who is overweight necessarily thinks 'oh good, when i have a premature heart attack my treatment will be free- lets carry on eating'. Not on about people who are slightly overweight or chubby, but people who are obese obviously have larger issues than just enjoying food.

That is part of it, but he also forgets about exercise - it s not in UK culture to exercise.
If you go to a gym in the UK, it is at least 75% men, and the few girls who go normally do not stay for more than a few weeks, and many do not take it seriously eg. wrong clothing, face full of makeup, talking to their friend the whole time etc. If you then look at sports outside of the gym, most guys stop participating come mid 20's, and few girls even ever get into a sport. It is simply British culture to be lazy.
Pot calling the kettle black much?

Their healthcare system is a shambles and they're fatter than us.
Reply 11
One big difference. The tide of fat people will cause the NHS to fail whereas it won't make private healthcare fail.
Well food at schools is often unhealthy crap. And not everyone wants to play a team sport like soccer for PE.
Reply 13
Original post by keromedic
Well food at schools is often unhealthy crap. And not everyone wants to play a team sport like soccer for PE.

Managing your health is a priority for everyone and not something they can blame on a government body.

Hit the gym, workout, go walking, eat clean.... it's not that hard.
Original post by Brolyfe
One big difference. The tide of fat people will cause the NHS to fail whereas it won't make private healthcare fail.

US spends more than UK on healthcare from public GDP (and about the same again from private funds): http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.XPD.PUBL.ZS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_total_health_expenditure_(PPP)_per_capita

Their health outcomes are little better to show for it.
Reply 15

It wouldn't explain why it happened in the USA or other developed countires.

It just comes down to food having got cheaper and people not having jobs with as much activity.
Reply 16
Original post by Brolyfe
Managing your health is a priority for everyone and not something they can blame on a government body.

Hit the gym, workout, go walking, eat clean.... it's not that hard.

Why bother though...? To live to 92 rather than 74?
Reply 17
Original post by Brolyfe

Really?

Fat people die earlier, so less time using the NHS and less time collecting state pension...
If the consequences of being morbidly obese, the physical and mental complications, the shortening of life span and quality of life. If these are not enough to deter people from getting fat, I doubt the cost when they run into these effects are being considered.

The UK is probably getting fatter because we are following the same trend as the US in our eating habits.

Original post by Quady
Really?

Fat people die earlier, so less time using the NHS and less time collecting state pension...
I think its the bit before they die that is the issue the decade odd they spend needing constant treatment and test for their heart disease or similar long term illness. Thats the killer for the NHS, large number of people needing ongoing treatments.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Fizzel
I think its the bit before they die that is the issue the decade odd they spend needing constant treatment and test for their heart disease or similar long term illness. Thats the killer for the NHS, large number of people needing ongoing treatments.

Isn't that kinda the same for anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending