The Student Room Group

Book or Kindle???

Scroll to see replies

I've been reading loads of books from the library recently and I really miss my kindle! Miss being able to easily read just using one hand or just resting it on my lap, means I can eat/drink a cuppa at the same time! :tongue:
I personally love being able to read form a physical book. The kindle is really nice for holiday because you can put a ton of books on it.
Reply 42
I have always been an avid kindle hater since I first heard of them. As someone who reads stacks of books I thought they took away the value from a good book, plus theres nothing better than seeing a shelf full of books all neat and nice smelling. My boyfriend bought me a kindle for my birthday last year and I only just started using it recently. I find the kindle harder to read than a book however it has come in handy. In my job, there are days where I can do an hours worth of work in an 8 hour shift, leaving plenty of boredom. I used to always take a book with me, but sometimes found myself getting bored reading the same book. I've recently started taking the kindle so I didn't have to carry a variety of books and I am warming to it now.
I still prefer my books (and I don't get my favourite series/authors on kindle) but the kindle is better for me to take to work/on holiday and I like browsing the free books too.
Turning pages > Kindle, any day.
Pretty much ALL of my relatives buy me books for Christmas and birthdays, because they know I love to read. So to be honest, it's fairly rare that I don't have a book to read. If it occurs, though, I will download the free books from the Kindle library, and I love the device for that. It only cost £79 to buy and I feel like I've more than made it worth it already. I do love it, and if you're on holiday it's handy to be able to just take that one device rather than two or three bulky books.
Reply 45
Further to my previous answer,for those of you living north of Watford a large bookcase full of books placed in front of a window ( but leaving enough space to stick your arm through to open it) makes a handy burglar deterrent.

If you don't have enough books simply use any vacant shelves to store tins of baked beans and bags of sugar.
(edited 9 years ago)
Kindle. Personally I find the whole "but you lose the feel of a real book!" "the smell!" "real pages!!" a little pretentious. Kindles can hold a large library of books and are the future of book printing without the need for paper. Admittedly a little expensive when they first came out, the price for a simple handset is pretty reasonable nowadays. Plus I love the dictionary and highlighting functions, where you can hold all past highlights in one place. Just personal opinion though :smile:
This thread is full of people who should buy Kindles for reading and books for sniffing.
Reply 48
Whilst I can appreciate Kindles being useful for travelling, holiday or just have lots of books in a bag when you need it. I prefer a book. I like the feel of the paper, and if reading in bed and the pages brush against the duvet, the sound of turning the page. Plus you can't walk into a used bookshop and breathe in that smell if you only use a kindle. But I may be forced to turn to a kindle soon as I really just do not have the space for many more books :frown:
I like both. I still look in the library for books and still look for books for my kindle. I did at first think that kindle were awful and I would never enjoy one but after having one bought for my birthday I've come around. My one problem is that some kindle books are more expensive than the real books, which makes little sense considering the fewer resources needed to make the kindle book compared to the physical version.

Quick Reply

Latest