The Student Room Group

Who else is so thankful they had a childhood before TECHNOLOGY TOOK OVER?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bertstare
I was the transitional generation. Younger childhood was filled with playing outside, riding bikes around the neighbourhood with other kids in the area, etc. But then by the time i was 14/15 everyone started spending their evenings on msn messenger and then came myspace

This. I had a very mixed upbringing and the balance was great. I'd be on MSN but it'd be used to arrange meeting up to play football or go bowling. I had a games console but would play it rarely. In fact I played it more during my college years when I was bored.

Kids these days can't go two minutes without checking their phones. Even some adults have this problem and its so annoying. One of my friends always checks his phone. One time we were out for a meal and he was on his phone constantly being anti social so I just got up and left without telling him. Can't be bothered dealing with ignorance like that.

I also don't have a Facebook now and when I tell people that they look at me as if it's weird. Yes, I'm the weird one for wanting to actually enjoy life - go see the great outdoors and work and meet people.

This video is brilliant.

[video="youtube;Z7dLU6fk9QY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7dLU6fk9QY[/video]
Sometimes I wish I had a childhood without incessant technology but then I remember wikipedia.
ME!!!
glad I grew up playing football all the time, on my bike with mates and just playing random games we made/tree houses

can't say the same for my little sister, who would rather be on her console than outside

Edit: It's also pritty scary how reliant I have been on my phone, now that I've lost it and won't be getting another phone till Saturday, I feel lost (mainly because of all the pictures, and contacts I had) but it's still weird as **** how much a phone can mean to someone.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you were born in the 90s, then you didn't grow up without technology. The OP doesn't make any sense. Only those born in the 50/60s or before can say they didn't grow up without technology.
Original post by cole-slaw
yeah, but in the 80s and 90s we had one hour of kids tv a day, and that was your lot, you came in to watch it then went outside to run around again.

Nowadays its on 24/7, 365 days a year. No wonder kids get fatter every year.

You're just exaggerating. The reality is that kid lives today aren't that different form the 90s/80s, kids today still ride bikes, play outside etc. See it all the time. People always exaggerate every generation, I bet the kids of today will be making the same arguments about the kids of tommorow, talking about how special there childhood was.
Original post by Ajibola
If you were born in the 90s, then you didn't grow up without technology. The OP doesn't make any sense. Only those born in the 50/60s or before can say they didn't grow up without technology.

I didn't say I grew up without technology. Have you even read my post?
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Yep. I had a blast during my childhood, it's all xbox and paedophiles these days. Also thankfully the whole social media thing was just taking off in my teens so I never really got sucked into that either. It's probably compulsory for teens now.

Not sure if somebody's already said this, but you've got it pretty close with the paedophiles thing. It's not that kids in the 20th century didn't have indoor activities, it's that their parents would let them outside to play on their own with friends. Increasing fears about child safety have left parents feeling they can't let children out with friends without an adult.
Original post by Secretnerd123
I didn't say I grew up without technology. Have you even read my post?

Ah, my bad. But, anyway, regarding your post, I don't think it is as bad as you are saying. I used to be around kids quite a lot, and I don't see what you say in the OP that much, There are many kids who play on consoles and spend a lot of times watching Youtube videos, but that isn't that different to 90s(1987 - 1994) kids playing on playstation 2, gamboys or spenidng all day watching television.
In this day and age, life is all about technology. Kids just can't be KIDS because they're stuck indoors on their iphones (I recently found out primary schools allow kids to bring in their phones as long as they only use it at breaktimes) or other techs. I can imagine nobody playing in the playground and all the kids sitting on benches tapping away. Nobody had a phone when I was in primary school and even in high school, it was very rare for kids to have the latest phones. We didn't even have a computer until I was 13. When I think of my childhood, I think of me and my friends and siblings being free and longing to play outside as soon as it was daylight. It was amazing and i'm glad I was born in the 90s :daydreaming:

So you are complaining because kids dont enjoy doing things you did? Guess what your parents probably said the same thing and thirty years latter kids now will be saying the same thing. Progress happens and changes stuff including recreation for the better.
Original post by swanderfeild
So you are complaining because kids dont enjoy doing things you did? Guess what your parents probably said the same thing and thirty years latter kids now will be saying the same thing. Progress happens and changes stuff including recreation for the better.

The key is moderation. Kids who use technology but still go outside and play with friends, that is fine. Kids relying on technology so much they start to spend little time outside is actually unhealthy.

The problem may be exaggerated but it definitely exists.
Original post by swanderfeild

Def not for the better
Original post by thunder_chunky
I was born a little earlier. There was technology and there was a boom in console gaming, but I and my friends were reigned in, ensuring we did other stuff and didn't stare at a screen. Now most things are technology based it seems and you can't get away from it.
I actually am glad I grew up when I did, because I grew up in a time when the Internet was new and just developing. Seeing it now compared to how it used to be 16 or more years ago is baffling. Kids these days won't know the meaning of modems and parents shouting "get off the Internet, I need to use the phone."
Ah happy days.

Spoiler

God, the nostalgia.
(edited 9 years ago)
In this day and age, life is all about technology. Kids just can't be KIDS because they're stuck indoors on their iphones (I recently found out primary schools allow kids to bring in their phones as long as they only use it at breaktimes) or other techs. I can imagine nobody playing in the playground and all the kids sitting on benches tapping away. Nobody had a phone when I was in primary school and even in high school, it was very rare for kids to have the latest phones. We didn't even have a computer until I was 13. When I think of my childhood, I think of me and my friends and siblings being free and longing to play outside as soon as it was daylight. It was amazing and i'm glad I was born in the 90s :daydreaming:

Lmao since like 2014 was well in I naturally note how many people I pass by walking like this:

:rolleyes:Cringe.

And then like I have a group project to do right and my two peers like we have to exchange contact info. And so they hand me their iPhones :s-smilie: so I plug my details in. Then, they text each other...right there. :nothing: Really, doe? lol And I gave them only my home phone and my email addy and like we haven't discussed our topic yet :s-smilie: so either they are texting my home phone :teehee: or refuse to understand email still is a thing :rolleyes: And these duck lipped selfies are horrid on adults and even worse on children :facepalm2: I got on my lil sister's ARSE for doing one. :s-smilie:
Yeah I am thankful. I spent most of my time with my grandparents during my childhood and had going out for the day with them and playing board games with them etc. If I got hooked by pc games at a young age, I would have missed out on that time with my grandparents.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RFowler
The key is moderation. Kids who use technology but still go outside and play with friends, that is fine. Kids relying on technology so much they start to spend little time outside is actually unhealthy.

The problem may be exaggerated but it definitely exists.

No, 'spending time outside' is no more healthy than being inside provided adequate level of activity and social contact is being maintained: whether such activity is gained through wii or by playing outside is immaterial.
Reply 56
Original post by cole-slaw
Actually I think childhood remained largely unchanged from the 50s to the 90s. You had about an hour of kids tv every afternoon, but apart from that, you made up your own games.

I was probably outdoors for 75% of my childhood.

It probably varies from area to area but where I grew up kids tended to go to each others houses to watch TV/play computer games or go to after school clubs such as Brownies/Scouts/sports/dance etc. Also most families I knew either had sky or cable so kids TV was available most of the day on the likes of Nickelodeon and Disney. The kids who were out a lot tended to be the chavier ones and they'd usually be hanging around causing trouble or shouting insults at random people rather than playing games. From what I've gathered things aren't that much different now but ofc technology is more advanced. I was born in 1985 so I was a kid for almost all of the 90s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
"Who else is so thankful they had a childhood before TECHNOLOGY TOOK OVER"? Is this actually referring to the late 90's and early 2000's when most on here were growing up. Kids who were just starting secondary school had phones, and a few even did in Primary School. We still had all the technology, just not as advanced. We had video's, they now have DVD's. We used to have CD's, kids now have ipods. We used to have Gameboys/PS1/PS2's, now they have Nintnedo DS' and PS4's.

It's no different to how it was, just more advanced today. When I was a kid I used to play on the street and on playing fields, just like kids still do today!
90s kids are the worst. :rolleyes: Their blinding nostalgia for an era not all that different from today is ridiculous.
Don't see a lot of kids playing in the park or outside nowadays. Kinda sad considering I spent the majority of the day outside pretty much everyday when I was kid, playing football, cricket, hide and seek, red letter, tag etc. Sure, there was technology but I think some of you miss OP's point. The kids these days are obsessed with technology to the point where pretty much all their free time is spent on the internet/social media/next gen consoles and none of it playing outside. Old is gold in this case.

Quick Reply

Latest