The Student Room Group

Adult Nursing... Age when applying?

Hi all,

Ive wanted to go into nursing for quite sometime.. I have previously completed a degree in Psychology so I believed I wouldnt be able to get funding for another degree... However as it is in the medical field I am able to get funding and tuition fees are NHS funded... which is great news... However I am 23 years old now, will be 27 by the time of being qualified, I feel like I will probably be the oldest on the course? :eek:

Anyone else applying around my age or older? I know its not old... and I am going for it regardless as it is the only career path that has ever interested me. I was just wondering really :smile:

Thanks! :wink:

Jenna xx

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NurseWannabe91
Hi all,

Ive wanted to go into nursing for quite sometime.. I have previously completed a degree in Psychology so I believed I wouldnt be able to get funding for another degree... However as it is in the medical field I am able to get funding and tuition fees are NHS funded... which is great news... However I am 23 years old now, will be 27 by the time of being qualified, I feel like I will probably be the oldest on the course? :eek:

Anyone else applying around my age or older? I know its not old... and I am going for it regardless as it is the only career path that has ever interested me. I was just wondering really :smile:

Jenna xx

The average age of a student nurse at the moment is 28, so you'll not be the oldest on your course by a very long way. I think there were people in their 50's in my uni, there were definitely 40 year olds.

With your current degree I'd also suggest looking at postgrad pre reg nursing courses such as the PGDip or masters as well as the undergrad bachelors degrees.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
No that's not too old at all! Plenty of people train to be nurses later on. I'm in a similar position - I'm nearly 27 and thinking about applying for the PgDip.

Which courses/Universities are you looking at?
Hi all,

Jenna xx

I'll only be 17, would only have turned 17 the month before uni start :s
I am considering and will be 30 when I start. I went to an open day and there were a lot of older people, especially for mental health nursing.
Reply 5
When I was in hospital over the summer one of the nurses told me she'd only qualified 6 years ago..at a guess id say she was 35-40?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying for Nursing & I'm 36 :smile:
Thank you for the replies everyone :smile: Im so excited! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am applying, I am also 36 :smile:
This is exciting :smile: where are you all applying? Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi
I am applying for Chester, LJMU, Staffordshire and Keele :smile:
Im 20 and I have just applied for the second time this year :smile: a woman on my access course is 42 and wanting to do nursing too so you wont be the oldest don't worry :smile: im applying to Huddersfield, leeds, Bradford and Manchester what about you?
Im applying to University of South Wales and Cardiff :smile: USW is my first choice. I doubt il get in first time but il just keep trying :smile: going to an open day on Saturday been there previously though :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just started I'm 29, the average age seems to be about 25+ I'd say poss higher
I'm 21, 22 when I start (Hopefully) I'm applying for Chester, Manchester, Man met, salford & keele
Im 20, will be 21 when I start Adult Nursing! :smile:
Anyone heard anything from UCAS yet?
Original post by aasiyah20
Im 20, will be 21 when I start Adult Nursing! :smile:
Anyone heard anything from UCAS yet?

I haven't yet :frown: have you? I'm just checking my track everyday like a crazy woman haha
Original post by bethellenx
I haven't yet :frown: have you? I'm just checking my track everyday like a crazy woman haha

no I haven't heard anything. I cant even log onto ucas track to see what's happening.. are we meant to get a letter or something so that we can log onto track?
Original post by aasiyah20
no I haven't heard anything. I cant even log onto ucas track to see what's happening.. are we meant to get a letter or something so that we can log onto track?

They send you an email after you send off your application with your track log in details did they not send you one?
:smile: :wink:

I've submitted my applications for the 2015 cycle (Mental Health Nursing) and will be twenty three (possibly twenty four) when the course commences, so don't worry! I, too, will be closer to thirty by the time I'm qualified and also have a first degree in Psychology. :grin:

Quick Reply