The Student Room Group

Congestion Charge Issue

Hello,

Okay, so I was wondering if anyone had a bit of advice!

Last Friday, I THINK I ended up driving through the London congestion zone, due to roadworks that diverted traffic about 3 roads into the zone (if I've worked it out correctly) before diverting us back out of the zone again.

If I'm honest, because I wasn't expecting to go into the zone, it completely slipped my mind and I had bigger issues to worry about. I've also spent the last week holed up, sick, in bed. It suddenly crossed my mind that I may have crossed into the zone.

I rang up the helpline who told me that they couldn't tell me if my car had actually gone into the zone (???) so I just had to wait for a fixed penalty notice to pop in through the post for £130 :mad:.

I've been reading on quite a few websites where people have had this problem but have still been forced to pay up. Surely, I must have a case? Apart from waiting for a ridiculous bill to come in through the post; I'm going to get charged for the privilege of being diverted into the zone? Even though when I planned my route, there was no roadworks there showing?

I'm actually pretty annoyed right now.
I'm not entirely sure of how the system works but I imagine if you get a FPN for it, there'll be an appeals section. I reckon you've got a pretty solid case to appeal. No sense worrying about it unless it hits your doorstep.
Reply 2
Original post by SummerAnthems
I'm not entirely sure of how the system works but I imagine if you get a FPN for it, there'll be an appeals section. I reckon you've got a pretty solid case to appeal. No sense worrying about it unless it hits your doorstep.

I'll definitely be appealing as I'm not impressed. I explained my circumstances to the call handler and she reckons I did go into the zone and should expect a letter. But I'm quite concerned seeing the amount of people in similar situations who've had their appeals rejected. I only read about a single successful appeal:s-smilie:.
Original post by CC2010
I'll definitely be appealing as I'm not impressed. I explained my circumstances to the call handler and she reckons I did go into the zone and should expect a letter. But I'm quite concerned seeing the amount of people in similar situations who've had their appeals rejected. I only read about a single successful appeal:s-smilie:.

Depends how you go about it...........the obvious think is look for a motoring forum which can help you, forgot the name though. But roadworks and forced diversion could help your case.
I used to have a flat just outside the CC area, once was diverted into the CC zone due to a road closure.

Received a FPN, which I appealed and the charge was cancelled though not without a big huge fight.

You can present a case within 14 days of receiving it and you can pay a reduced rate of £60 if it is paid within 7 working days.
Reply 5
Guess what just came in the post?! *sighs* Appeal, here I come!
Reply 6
Original post by Alfissti
I used to have a flat just outside the CC area, once was diverted into the CC zone due to a road closure.

Received a FPN, which I appealed and the charge was cancelled though not without a big huge fight.

You can present a case within 14 days of receiving it and you can pay a reduced rate of £60 if it is paid within 7 working days.

I don't understand why they need to be greedy and force people to fight, especially if they KNOW they're in the wrong? Glad you managed to get it cancelled though.

Just to clarify, so if I put an appeal in and they take longer than 14 days to reply, can I still pay the reduced rate from 7 days of their reply as opposed to 7 days from today? Thanks.
Original post by CC2010
I don't understand why they need to be greedy and force people to fight, especially if they KNOW they're in the wrong? Glad you managed to get it cancelled though.

Just to clarify, so if I put an appeal in and they take longer than 14 days to reply, can I still pay the reduced rate from 7 days of their reply as opposed to 7 days from today? Thanks.

That's London for you.

If you put an appeal in within 7 days then you will pay the reduced rate on the outcome of the appeal though at the outcome of the appeal. It will however be subtracted meaning if you put an appeal 4 days after receiving that FPN then upon the outcome of the appeal you will have 3 days where you can pay the reduced rate.
Reply 8
Original post by Alfissti
That's London for you.

If you put an appeal in within 7 days then you will pay the reduced rate on the outcome of the appeal though at the outcome of the appeal. It will however be subtracted meaning if you put an appeal 4 days after receiving that FPN then upon the outcome of the appeal you will have 3 days where you can pay the reduced rate.

Im pretty sure the 14 days to pay the reduced price is frozen when you appeal.
Original post by Joeey009
Im pretty sure the 14 days to pay the reduced price is frozen when you appeal.

They have changed the policy again?
I don't know about that but isn't it all like that? Unless TFL have different rules.
Original post by CC2010

Well they're hardly going to make it easy, if they just blindly accepted any appeal with that excuse on it then everybody would use it, they obviously need to be sure that you were in fact sent into the congestion zone due to a diversion and that you're not simply lying about it to get off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending