The Student Room Group

At what age would you give your child a phone/electronic devices?

after reading this article i am curious as to what people think of giving phones/electronic devices to children

http://www.inquisitr.com/1468612/steve-jobs-didnt-let-his-kids-use-iphones-or-ipads-heres-why/

“My kids accuse me and my wife of being fascists. They say that none of their friends have the same rules. That’s because we have seen the dangers of technology first hand. I’ve seen it in myself, I don’t want to see that happen to my kids.” -steve jobs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Soon as it's born.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by qr95
Soon as it's born.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK
I can't think of a particular age. But my child would have to be at the stage where I can trust them with such a device.
Such dilemma :frown: I'd rather not give them one at all, but if I don't, they'll probably be much less tech-proficient than others their age. :sad:
I had mine at 13 so around the same age?
I would never give my children any electronic devices. I will wait for them to grow up and get it for themselves, earn their own money if they're going to splash it on malignant junk like that. I think Steve Jobs is diabolical for generously circulating his pestilential carcinogens around the world and denying his darling children the same. The more fool the world, of course, but Steve Jobs is still a massive bollox.
Original post by aka r
after reading this article i am curious as to what people think of giving phones/electronic devices to children

http://www.inquisitr.com/1468612/steve-jobs-didnt-let-his-kids-use-iphones-or-ipads-heres-why/

“My kids accuse me and my wife of being fascists. They say that none of their friends have the same rules. That’s because we have seen the dangers of technology first hand. I’ve seen it in myself, I don’t want to see that happen to my kids.” -steve jobs

I'd say when they start secondary school but by the time I have my kids, its likely kids will be getting phones even earlier than that so I will give them their first phone at the same age as the other kids receive theirs as I know how much it sucks to be the odd one out. It makes it harder for you to make friends and I don't want my kids to go through that.
Reply 8
14 years old sounds about right
Got my first phone around 12/13 when all my friends got theirs around 10. But I had a brick phone for years, only got a smart phone in Sixth Form! I'd probs give my child a brick phone when they start secondary school for emergencies only.
When they are going to secondary school but it would be a Nokia 3210
They would get their first smartphone when they are going to sixth form

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by intheTSRspirit
I would never give my children any electronic devices. I will wait for them to grow up and get it for themselves, earn their own money if they're going to splash it on malignant junk like that. I think Steve Jobs is diabolical for generously circulating his pestilential carcinogens around the world and denying his darling children the same. The more fool the world, of course, but Steve Jobs is still a massive bollox.

Kind of agree with that, he himself kept his own children away from it, then sells iphones and ipads with thousands of apps for children to play on
Reply 12
Original post by toonervoustotalk

Posted from TSR Mobile

that actually seems like a good idea. they obv need a phone so you can keep in contact, i personally hate it when i see children playing on phones all day, and teenagers sending messages
Original post by aka r
that actually seems like a good idea. they obv need a phone so you can keep in contact, i personally hate it when i see children playing on phones all day, and teenagers sending messages

That was the way I had it like
And now I am adducted to my phone lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha same!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nothing to do with their age. If I had a child who I trusted who wanted to 'play out' locally... I'd give them a phone. Whether they're 10 or 15. Everyone seems to be quite overprotective here - I was going down the road to the park in year 5 and as long as I trusted my child with their road sense, I'd have no problem with it.

Ofc if they wanted the latest iPhone they can get it with their own money lol
I have no idea..definitely not before the age of 13 though.
Phone probably about 8

Tablet about 4

Posted from TSR Mobile
At 11 they'll have a simplistic phone for getting in touch with me but they won't have any gadgets or anything until they get a job and purchase them themselves. There will be a computer in the house they can use for learning purposes and I'll help educate them on how to properly research, good websites to use for citation and how to avoid plagiarism. I'll also ensure they only go on appropriate websites.

I want my children to focus on having an actual childhood going out with friends, enjoying sports and being healthy. My children will have very little time for such anyway. They'll be in school, then they'll get private tuition and then will be made to take up a sport/exercise and something like a musical instrument of their choice.

Quick Reply

Latest