The Student Room Group

At what age would you give your child a phone/electronic devices?

Scroll to see replies

Console - whatever age
Phone - 11 when they start highschool
Of course they'd be able to use a family computer of some sort, and I'd let them have some games consoles from an early age. Mobile phone I would probably let them have a basic one around age 11, so they can contact parents and it would start to give them some independence. Smartphones can come later (maybe GCSE sort of age?).

I would allow them to use things like a family computer or their games consoles but I would not let them be on there for hours at a time. I want them to have an actual childhood, outside playing with friends and particularly spending time in the countryside.

The key is moderation, but I absolutely don't agree with the idea that kids shouldn't be allowed technology at all. I wouldn't want to be that level of restrictive because that would be pointless and let's be honest reactionary.
Original post by toonervoustotalk
When they are going to secondary school but it would be a Nokia 3210
They would get their first smartphone when they are going to sixth form

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why should they have to wait until 16 to get a smartphone? Also, considering non-smartphones are pretty much out of production in 2014, there certainly won't be any around in say 20-30 years - it's impossible to imagine what sort of technology we'll be using then.
Original post by Black Hippy
At 11 they'll have a simplistic phone for getting in touch with me but they won't have any gadgets or anything until they get a job and purchase them themselves. There will be a computer in the house they can use for learning purposes and I'll help educate them on how to properly research, good websites to use for citation and how to avoid plagiarism. I'll also ensure they only go on appropriate websites.

I want my children to focus on having an actual childhood going out with friends, enjoying sports and being healthy. My children will have very little time for such anyway. They'll be in school, then they'll get private tuition and then will be made to take up a sport/exercise and something like a musical instrument of their choice.
JAYSUS lets be real here if youre in your teens theyre gonna get an electronic device of some sort before 18.

Original post by Biryani007
I have no idea..definitely not before the age of 13 though.
she has no idea...then mentions a specific age haha

Original post by intheTSRspirit
I would never give my children any electronic devices. I will wait for them to grow up and get it for themselves, earn their own money if they're going to splash it on malignant junk like that. I think Steve Jobs is diabolical for generously circulating his pestilential carcinogens around the world and denying his darling children the same. The more fool the world, of course, but Steve Jobs is still a massive bollox.
I would never give you a child.
I'm praying for their souls already!!!

Original post by Maid Marian
Such dilemma :frown: I'd rather not give them one at all, but if I don't, they'll probably be much less tech-proficient than others their age. :sad:
hmm why are you so anti technology:?
Original post by trustmeimlying1
JAYSUS lets be real here if youre in your teens theyre gonna get an electronic device of some sort before 18.

Maybe so but they can finance it themselves. I shall not be purchasing any electronic device for them other than a common computer that will be for school work and research. If after sports they go over a friends house and play on a games console that is fine but they will not be having one at home. They will go to school, get tuition if needed, do their sport or practice their instrument, then have some leisure time before going to bed at a normal time to ensure they have adequate sleep.

Oh, and before you say I am anti technology, I'm a Computer Science graduate.
When they are going to secondary school but it would be a Nokia 3210
They would get their first smartphone when they are going to sixth form

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where will you get one of those from when your kids start secondary school?
Id say around age 10 sounds about right to me.
Original post by Black Hippy
Maybe so but they can finance it themselves. I shall not be purchasing any electronic device for them other than a common computer that will be for school work and research. If after sports they go over a friends house and play on a games console that is fine but they will not be having one at home. They will go to school, get tuition if needed, do their sport or practice their instrument, then have some leisure time before going to bed at a normal time to ensure they have adequate sleep.

Oh, and before you say I am anti technology, I'm a Computer Science graduate.
being a computer science graduate doesnt mean you're not.but what if.

I mean I like the way youre getting them into good habits etc..

but arent you going a little too "german" on them
Original post by Emma:-)

I would keep my old one init:wink:
Or I can get some from my aunts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Whenever I feel they could use it wisely.
Reply 30
Original post by Emma:-)

Ebay
I would keep my old one init:wink:
Or I can get some from my aunts

Posted from TSR Mobile

Another thing to consider is that mobile phone networks would have long moved on by then, and it's quite possible that old phones would be unsupported like an analogue television.

she has no idea...then mentions a specific age haha

I is such a fool :lol:

But tbh I have no idea as to what I would actually do.
Original post by jameswhughes
Another thing to consider is that mobile phone networks would have long moved on by then, and it's quite possible that old phones would be unsupported like an analogue television.

:frown: but I don't want them to become antisocial brats like I am kind of becoming right now haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
I is such a fool :lol:

But tbh I have no idea as to what I would actually do.

I dont even know do I want kids anymore.

well deal with it when it comes

my nephews on the other hand..I wana be the fun uncle :biggrin:
I dont even know do I want kids anymore.

well deal with it when it comes

my nephews on the other hand..I wana be the fun uncle :biggrin:

I love kids but it's hard when you're the parent, the one completely responsible for them...Idk if I'd even be a good parent. I'm definitely going to get a load of parenting books beforehand :biggrin:
Original post by jameswhughes
Why should they have to wait until 16 to get a smartphone? Also, considering non-smartphones are pretty much out of production in 2014, there certainly won't be any around in say 20-30 years - it's impossible to imagine what sort of technology we'll be using then.

True but they would be using really bad phones till they are 16 :smile: so that they can learn to appreciate what they have

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love kids but it's hard when you're the parent, the one completely responsible for them...Idk if I'd even be a good parent. I'm definitely going to get a load of parenting books beforehand :biggrin:

be grand ages away love don't worry bout it haha

haha Im sure yeh will:biggrin:
:frown: but I don't want them to become antisocial brats like I am kind of becoming right now haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

True but they would be using really bad phones till they are 16 :smile: so that they can learn to appreciate what they have

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not the technology stopping you being social, but what you choose to do with it. I see it the other way round, Facebook on an iPhone is a really easy and completely free way to talk to people, making it easier to arrange to meet up etc.

What you think of as a "bad phone" today will be as redundant as a telegram or horse and carriage in 20 years, they just won't be around. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest