The Student Room Group

At what age would you give your child a phone/electronic devices?

Scroll to see replies

I'd probably give my child a pretty basic phone once they start secondary school. An iPod would be around the same age as a birthday/Christmas present, if they wanted one.
I'd be pretty reluctant to give a child a tablet before about 14, but by the time I have children they'll probably be required at birth....god I sound old :colondollar:
Reply 61
Original post by Biryani007
:colonhash:

:unimpressed:
Original post by aka r
:unimpressed:

Why though?
Reply 63
Original post by Biryani007
Why though?

why not?
Trashy parents are usually the most materialistic and also kids may feel to obey- social conformity!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd probably let them have a basic pay as you go phone once they went to secondary school. Though maybe earlier, as it's just safer and convenient to be able to contact them if they wander off or there's a problem. So maybe around the age of 10? But definitely no Internet on the phones. I still don't think kids should have unsupervised Internet access until they're adults, so no laptops in their rooms or at least a really good parental lock on them till they're 16.
Original post by Black Hippy
Maybe so but they can finance it themselves. I shall not be purchasing any electronic device for them other than a common computer that will be for school work and research. If after sports they go over a friends house and play on a games console that is fine but they will not be having one at home. They will go to school, get tuition if needed, do their sport or practice their instrument, then have some leisure time before going to bed at a normal time to ensure they have adequate sleep.

Oh, and before you say I am anti technology, I'm a Computer Science graduate.

Wouldn't they need a mobile phone of some sort though? Teenagers need to be independent and for that they need to be able to contact friends and parents. And yes, I do mean need.
when they start secondary school tbh
Reply 68
It's hard to say only because it's important to take generational differences into account. I got my first phone when I was 16 which was pretty late, I guess, but it didn't do me any harm. I don't know what life will be like for the next generations, these days lots are getting ipads from schools! So a phone may seem normal and almost 'compulsory' at a certain age. I'd like to give my kid a phone as late as possible but generally when I see it as being necessary.
My children are now aged 20, 15, 8 and 3.

The eldest received a Nokia 3310 from me when she was 12, it was a hand-me-down with a PAYG SIM in it with 3 numbers she could call for free, her grandmother, mother and me. I told her the credit needs to be paid from her own pocket money. When she was 16 I gave her another hand-me-down, a Nokia 5800 and I had her on a family package where I could see who she calls or texts. I told her I'm not going to be checking but she had to self-regulate as to how much she thought was reasonable in terms of mobile phone usage. When she turned 18 she received an iPhone 4S as a birthday present and she has a contract in her own name that she pays from her student money.

The second, she received an iPhone 3GS when she was 12, was a hand-me-down and had a PAYG SIM to it. I told her she received it on the same rules as per her eldest sister. Now she has a Motorola Droid Maxx which is a hand-me-down. I have a supplementary line for her and I told her she should know how to self-regulate herself with regards to using the phone.

My 8 year old, he has an iPhone 4 which he has been using since he turned 7. Was his mother's old phone. Also a PAYG SIM only.

In terms of tablets.

The eldest received the original iPad at 17, it was a few months old when I gave it to her as I bought myself the iPad 2. When she started uni, she received a new iPad 3.

The 2nd daughter received the iPad 2 from me when she was 12 and for her 15th birthday she received an iPad Air.

The 3rd son, he received the iPad 1 at 6 when his eldest sister received the iPad 3. Last Christmas he received an iPad Air.

The youngest, she has an iPad Mini that I traded with someone with the iPad 2 earlier this year.

Oh yeah all the iPads has a SIM in it and I told them upfront that the iPad doesn't belong to them but they are free to use it but not amend anything on it. All of it has a tracking software that cannot be turned off and I they know about it, however I told them I don't have the time to track their whereabouts and don't give me a reason to make time to start tracking them.

I guess I'm lucky because my kids know where the line is.
Not like my aunty who wants to get a tablet for her two year old... (But she needs the internet first apparently.. )

Any way, I'd say around 5/6 for a little tablet-y device, because you're just going to play games on it really.(A cheap android one ofc. Not a bloody iPad. I dont trust kids with expensive electronics)

Maybe around 11/12, for a mobile phone (Secondary school) See this is where Im a hypocrite, because I had a phone at 8 years old, but I've always liked technology, so in a way that's justified.

If my future kids, love technology as much as me, I might be inclined to give them one BUT they MUST fiddle with it, and break it :biggrin: (Not on purpose ofc, but accidentally break it, in the name of learning lol )
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I'd probably let them have a basic pay as you go phone once they went to secondary school. Though maybe earlier, as it's just safer and convenient to be able to contact them if they wander off or there's a problem. So maybe around the age of 10? But definitely no Internet on the phones. I still don't think kids should have unsupervised Internet access until they're adults, so no laptops in their rooms or at least a really good parental lock on them till they're 16.

Same. A PAYG definitely. Whilst contracts are cheaper, I dont think you should really trust a teenager not to use those minutes until they're say 16(?)

Teenagers can seem to use a **** tonne more minutes and data than adults can!!!
never
Original post by Alfissti
My children are now aged 20, 15, 8 and 3.

The eldest received a Nokia 3310 from me when she was 12, it was a hand-me-down with a PAYG SIM in it with 3 numbers she could call for free, her grandmother, mother and me. I told her the credit needs to be paid from her own pocket money. When she was 16 I gave her another hand-me-down, a Nokia 5800 and I had her on a family package where I could see who she calls or texts. I told her I'm not going to be checking but she had to self-regulate as to how much she thought was reasonable in terms of mobile phone usage. When she turned 18 she received an iPhone 4S as a birthday present and she has a contract in her own name that she pays from her student money.

The second, she received an iPhone 3GS when she was 12, was a hand-me-down and had a PAYG SIM to it. I told her she received it on the same rules as per her eldest sister. Now she has a Motorola Droid Maxx which is a hand-me-down. I have a supplementary line for her and I told her she should know how to self-regulate herself with regards to using the phone.

My 8 year old, he has an iPhone 4 which he has been using since he turned 7. Was his mother's old phone. Also a PAYG SIM only.

In terms of tablets.

The eldest received the original iPad at 17, it was a few months old when I gave it to her as I bought myself the iPad 2. When she started uni, she received a new iPad 3.

The 2nd daughter received the iPad 2 from me when she was 12 and for her 15th birthday she received an iPad Air.

The 3rd son, he received the iPad 1 at 6 when his eldest sister received the iPad 3. Last Christmas he received an iPad Air.

The youngest, she has an iPad Mini that I traded with someone with the iPad 2 earlier this year.

Oh yeah all the iPads has a SIM in it and I told them upfront that the iPad doesn't belong to them but they are free to use it but not amend anything on it. All of it has a tracking software that cannot be turned off and I they know about it, however I told them I don't have the time to track their whereabouts and don't give me a reason to make time to start tracking them.

I guess I'm lucky because my kids know where the line is.

you have ruined the life of your 8 year old.
Awful parenting.
Original post by toonervoustotalk
When they are going to secondary school but it would be a Nokia 3210
They would get their first smartphone when they are going to sixth form

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is an AWESOME idea!!!! I might have to nick it lol. "Dad I want a phone"

*Buys Nokia 3210*

Kind means they can only use it for minutes and texts as necessary lol. For a year or so any way, that'd be a good phone. And then maybe something that can access the internet

Original post by Emma:-)
Where will you get one of those from when your kids start secondary school?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Nokia+3210&_udlo=8&_sop=15&_mPrRngCbx=1&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR8.TRC1.A0.H0.XNokia+3210+unlocke&_nkw=Nokia+3210+unlocked&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=Nokia+3210&_udlo=8&_sop=15&_mPrRngCbx=1&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR8.TRC1.A0.H0.XNokia+3210+unlocke&_nkw=Nokia+3210+unlocked&_sacat=0

Basically.. eBay
Hmm if I was ever to have children. I seriously do not want them to have a phone, I know how bad technology is. I guess only if my children prove to me they will use if efficiently.

But we now live in a society whereby technology is always used, you see little children using phones, tablets instead of playing outside or engaging with others. I find that really upsetting as I used to always play outside when I was little.

Hmm I will allow my child to have a phone, hmm because I had my first phone when I was 16. I will probably give it to them around the same age, nothing earlier than that.
Original post by pryngles
Awful parenting.

Oh yeah? By the way, how many kids do you have?
Original post by pryngles
Awful parenting.

How's that ruining life?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by donutaud15
How's that ruining life?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no offense but its like a parent CBA raising their kid, just hand them an ipad so they shutup
Reply 79
Original post by Alfissti

thank you for such a detailed response

Quick Reply

Latest