The Student Room Group

Economics at Uni without A level Maths?

I want to do something related to Economics in the future at uni (Doing A level Economics and loving it). I know that A level maths is very important, but during GCSEs I was stupid and ignorant and didn't put 100% in. I'm retaking it soon and I'm hoping to get an A.

The fact I'm not doing maths or a science subject is really worrying me quite a lot and no one seems to understand .. because everyone else is doing these kinds of subjects

I'm only looking for useful and helpful replies here, no stuck up people who think they're superior and are just looking to insult.
(edited 9 years ago)
There are still courses available at some unis which will allow you to do Economics at university without maths. My friend is at Manchester and didn't do maths A-level but he is finding the maths bit a touch hard. However with a bit of hard work etc, you should be alright :smile:

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by moment of truth
There are still courses available at some unis which will allow you to do Economics at university without maths. My friend is at Manchester and didn't do maths A-level but he is finding the maths bit a touch hard. However with a bit of hard work etc, you should be alright :smile:

Thanks dude! That gives me some hope :biggrin:
Reply 3

What subjects did your friend do?
Original post by MaxRA
What subjects did your friend do?

Economics, Psychology and Politics.

What is the reason why you didn't take A-Level maths? You mentioned that you messed around at GCSE and so are gonna retake but do you like maths?
Reply 5
Economics, Psychology and Politics.

What is the reason why you didn't take A-Level maths? You mentioned that you messed around at GCSE and so are gonna retake but do you like maths?

I used to like maths a lot a few years ago, but then in year 10/11 I kinda got unmotivated, lazy and didn't revise at all for exams (Stupid I know). I finished GCSEs and only got a C in it (So I didn't qualify) and now realize I could of done much better .. so yeah I'm retaking and will hopefully improve my grade :redface:

I don't even know how I got into Economics A level since my sixth form required a minimum of a B. I'm really happy with it though :smile:
Original post by MaxRA
I used to like maths a lot a few years ago, but then in year 10/11 I kinda got unmotivated, lazy and didn't revise at all for exams (Stupid I know). I finished GCSEs and only got a C in it (So I didn't qualify) and now realize I could of done much better .. so yeah I'm retaking and will hopefully improve my grade :redface:

I don't even know how I got into Economics A level since my sixth form required a minimum of a B. I'm really happy with it though :smile:

Ahh okay. Yeah you should definitely retake the exam and move it up to an A, but make sure you focus more on your A-Levels though.

Have you thought about different unis you want to apply to? and have you got a back up in case you can't do Economics?
Economics has a lot of maths in it. So whether or not you can do economics without maths you have to ask yourself whether you will like it. Because you will spend a lot of time on statistics, linear algebra, calculus, differential equations, etc. I would strongly advise an A* GCSE maths and at the very least an A in AS maths. Preferably for economics I would recommend A Level Maths and Further Maths.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by tombayes
Economics has a lot of maths in it. So whether or not you can do economics without maths you have to ask yourself whether you will like it. Because you will spend a lot of time on statistics, linear algebra, calculus, differential equations, etc. I would strongly advise an A* GCSE maths and at the very least an A in AS maths. Preferably for economics I would recommend A Level Maths and Further Maths.

Oh .. well then I guess I'm completely screwed :s-smilie: Aren't there other Economics courses which are less math orientated? Ba not Bsc?
Original post by MaxRA
Oh .. well then I guess I'm completely screwed :s-smilie: Aren't there other Economics courses which are less math orientated? Ba not Bsc?

Actually i just spoke to a friend who studied economics, there are universities who offer BA economics which does not require A Level maths but there is still maths in the course they just teach it to you from the beginning. However, some universities like Durham, oxford, some others offer BA economics which does assume knowledge of A Level Maths. So it is all a bit confusing. Also, employers generally do not know the difference between the two apart from if you are applying for a job which requires an Economics degree in which case a BSc (or BA at Durham/Oxford) will have a MAJOR advantage. Just worth considering.
Exeter does a BA course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by tombayes
Actually i just spoke to a friend who studied economics, there are universities who offer BA economics which does not require A Level maths but there is still maths in the course they just teach it to you from the beginning. However, some universities like Durham, oxford, some others offer BA economics which does assume knowledge of A Level Maths. So it is all a bit confusing. Also, employers generally do not know the difference between the two apart from if you are applying for a job which requires an Economics degree in which case a BSc (or BA at Durham/Oxford) will have a MAJOR advantage. Just worth considering.

Thanks for the information and help. Although I know I'd never be good enough to get into top uni's like Oxford or Durham or any Uni within the top 15 really .. I would be really happy If I could get into any Russell group. Ba would still be awesome though!:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Edminzodo
Exeter does a BA course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah although I just checked and you need at least GCSE maths grade A and English Language grade B. So that sucks.

Quick Reply

Latest