The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Entry requirements for a EU student

Hello!

I would like to go to the university of Edindurgh next year! I'm a student in France and I checked the entry requirements to get in but I'm not quite sure if I have a chance actually... Obviously I'm not taking any risks as I can only make 5 choices on UCAS so I was wondering If you could help me figuring out if I have the grades to have a chance to be accepted! :smile:
In most of my subjects I get like 15-16 wich equals to A's if i'm not wrong! But I don't have like many extra-curricular activities so I don't know if that counts a lot in my application but I'm a bit worried about that!
Also I'd like to take International Relations as a major!

If some of you were in the same situation I'd like to get your opinion :biggrin:
Thx
Original post by carla.c21
Hello!

I would like to go to the university of Edindurgh next year! I'm a student in France and I checked the entry requirements to get in but I'm not quite sure if I have a chance actually... Obviously I'm not taking any risks as I can only make 5 choices on UCAS so I was wondering If you could help me figuring out if I have the grades to have a chance to be accepted! :smile:
In most of my subjects I get like 15-16 wich equals to A's if i'm not wrong! But I don't have like many extra-curricular activities so I don't know if that counts a lot in my application but I'm a bit worried about that!
Also I'd like to take International Relations as a major!

If some of you were in the same situation I'd like to get your opinion :biggrin:
Thx

Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply :smile:

Have you found University Connect yet? It's super useful for finding other people on your course/at your university! :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Hi! I'm also a student in France, I'm thinking of applying to a few Scottish universities!
However, last year one of my friends who is a straight-A student didn't get an offer although she had a perfect dossier, filled all the requirements, etc. Maybe the level was higher last year, but my English teacher told us that it may be because Scottish universities are saving their places for Scottish students. That discouraged me somewhat from applying there, although I don't have many other options. I don't want to study in England because of the tuition fees (£9.000 a year?), and I'd rather not stay in France.
Anyway, I hope I'm depressing you, but I can't guarantee we're considered equal to the other applicants. Still, tente ta chance quand-même :biggrin:
What are you applying for?
Reply 3
Original post by Nerdz
Hi! I'm also a student in France, I'm thinking of applying to a few Scottish universities!
However, last year one of my friends who is a straight-A student didn't get an offer although she had a perfect dossier, filled all the requirements, etc. Maybe the level was higher last year, but my English teacher told us that it may be because Scottish universities are saving their places for Scottish students. That discouraged me somewhat from applying there, although I don't have many other options. I don't want to study in England because of the tuition fees (£9.000 a year?), and I'd rather not stay in France.
Anyway, I hope I'm depressing you, but I can't guarantee we're considered equal to the other applicants. Still, tente ta chance quand-même :biggrin:
What are you applying for?

Okay thank you for replying! Well I'm applying to The University of Edinburgh and some uni in England but I'm not sure which ones yet... I'm applying for Politics and International Relations!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Okay thank you for replying! Well I'm applying to The University of Edinburgh and some uni in England but I'm not sure which ones yet... I'm applying for Politics and International Relations!

But if you want to study in England I think you can get a student loan for your tuition fees as you live in the European Union!
Reply 5
But if you want to study in England I think you can get a student loan for your tuition fees as you live in the European Union!

But France doesn't have any grants for students studying abroad :frown: I haven't checked about the EU though... Do you know of any scholarships or grants?
Reply 6
Original post by Nerdz
But France doesn't have any grants for students studying abroad :frown: I haven't checked about the EU though... Do you know of any scholarships or grants?

You can get the typical "bourse sur critères sociaux" but I don't think it's enough to cover the whole academic year! But, I know there are lots of grants and scholarships available on universities websites, but you'll need time to go through all of them as they're all different!

Also, you could get a part-time job there, that could help eventually!
Reply 7
It's not applicable to me because our income is too high. I think I'll just try and get a part-time job, that'll be the best I can do. By the way, what are you doing about the predicted grades? I don't have any, or if I do I don't know them, my referee hasn't told me anything about it.
Reply 8
Original post by Nerdz
It's not applicable to me because our income is too high. I think I'll just try and get a part-time job, that'll be the best I can do. By the way, what are you doing about the predicted grades? I don't have any, or if I do I don't know them, my referee hasn't told me anything about it.

I don't know maybe it's different for us as it's not the same school system...
Btw are you applying indivually? And who's your referee?
Reply 9
I don't know maybe it's different for us as it's not the same school system...
Btw are you applying indivually? And who's your referee?

Yeah, I'm applying individually and my referee is one of my english teachers as I'm in an International section (OIB). So no predicted grades, which means I have no idea which unis will accept me.
Reply 10
Original post by Nerdz
Yeah, I'm applying individually and my referee is one of my english teachers as I'm in an International section (OIB). So no predicted grades, which means I have no idea which unis will accept me.

Your results from premiere can be used to give a predicted grade. It is not binding, if the teacher/referee says 15 and you get 14, OK. If you get 12, not so good, but if your premiere results were 15, then work hard and improve upon them.

What moyenne did your friend have? 15 - 16 is enough to get into Oxford/Cambridge (OIB 15 = A*A*A).
Reply 11
Original post by jb0001
Your results from premiere can be used to give a predicted grade. It is not binding, if the teacher/referee says 15 and you get 14, OK. If you get 12, not so good, but if your premiere results were 15, then work hard and improve upon them.

What moyenne did your friend have? 15 - 16 is enough to get into Oxford/Cambridge (OIB 15 = A*A*A).

Hmm. I don't know what she got in the bac actually, I haven't seen her since, but she probably got about 15 or 16.
I got three times 15 and an 18 for TPE so I think that's okay, I'm aiming for at least 16 in English this year and maybe something like 18 in German. :smile:
Thanks, I'm really reassured now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending