I have to draw lewis structures and resonance structures for these molecules

F2
O2
NH3
CO
CO2
NO2-
ClO2+

I've looked on the net but I don't understand what a resonance structure is, can somebody explain please? :confused:
Is this degree level?
There is a wiki page on 'resonance structures' :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Is this degree level?
There is a wiki page on 'resonance structures' :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, i'm only in my 2nd week tho ^^ I understand resonance now, do you know if NO2- is the only one with a resonance structure?
Reply 3
i've drawn ClO2+ but it has 10 electrons in its outer shell? is this possible?
Original post by jacksonmeg
i've drawn ClO2+ but it has 10 electrons in its outer shell? is this possible?

yes, it's possible - it's called octet expansion, however it's not necessary to describe the bonding in this ion.

Reply 5
Original post by charco
yes, it's possible - it's called octet expansion, however it's not necessary to describe the bonding in this ion.

hello charco
i just have a question if you could possibly help me with, you probably wouldnt know me am like out of nowhere, this problem has been puzzling me for about a month now, i asked various people but they couldnt solve it, please could you help me, thanks
draw the resonance structures
Original post by kiyubi
hello charco
i just have a question if you could possibly help me with, you probably wouldnt know me am like out of nowhere, this problem has been puzzling me for about a month now, i asked various people but they couldnt solve it, please could you help me, thanks
draw the resonance structures

I'm not really sure what you have drawn...

What is that on the oxygen atom at the top - it looks like a bond going nowhere!
Reply 7
Original post by charco
I'm not really sure what you have drawn...

What is that on the oxygen atom at the top - it looks like a bond going nowhere!

thats a CH3 group in skeletal form
Original post by kiyubi
thats a CH3 group in skeletal form

OK - makes sense.

The resonance structures are simple although as with all benzene rings you have to chase the electron pairs around the ring.

Start off with the electron pair on the oxygen (negative charge).

Quick Reply

Latest