The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Is Leeds full of wild party students?

By wild I mean drinking everyday, loads of clubbing, having loadsa casual sex etc. etc.?

I'm askin because I'm looking for a school that doesn't have much of that. I'm 100% not judging anyone, I love partying; it's just that my friend with anxieties and panick attacks wants to go to a good uni. She used to go to Uni with me (year younger), but dropped out recently because she coudln't handle the workload anymore. She's changing course and uni. We thought York would be good but what about Leeds?

And I know EVERY uni has party people, it's just that Leeds seems to be known for it for some reason? Is there more of it?
thx
Original post by Allaboutthatbass
By wild I mean drinking everyday, loads of clubbing, having loadsa casual sex etc. etc.?

I'm askin because I'm looking for a school that doesn't have much of that. I'm 100% not judging anyone, I love partying; it's just that my friend with anxieties and panick attacks wants to go to a good uni. She used to go to Uni with me (year younger), but dropped out recently because she coudln't handle the workload anymore. She's changing course and uni. We thought York would be good but what about Leeds?

And I know EVERY uni has party people, it's just that Leeds seems to be known for it for some reason? Is there more of it?
thx

Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply :smile:

Have you found University Connect yet? It's super useful for finding other people on your course/at your university! :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Hey! York and Leeds are my firm and insurance choice universities, I personally think Leeds isn't too rowdy but my friends have picked there and they want to go to uni for the partying experience so take that how you will. York is a lovely university and it's quite quiet, plus it has all the different accommodation for different types of people. I know a few people who went there and they really enjoyed it. I'm very much a workaholic and hateee partying and going out which is also why I like York, stick to the accommodation near the uni and away from the centre and you should be fine. It's also a bonus that it's quite a good uni in respect to its courses :P!
Reply 3
No, it is not. I have been here for three years and the only time I was around people who desperately wanted to go out was when I was in halls. There re a lot of people who don't like getting very drunk and going out, you just need to find them. (Most of them are in the nerd societies - SocieTEA, Pokemon, Comics, Sci-Fi, Assassins, Anime - Rock Soc share a lot of members here but they tend to get rowdier). But yeah, don't worry at all, and just find people who share your interests. You are not a special unique snowflake.
Reply 4
my friend with anxieties and panick attacks wants to go to a good uni. She used to go to Uni with me (year younger), but dropped out recently because she coudln't handle the workload anymore. She's changing course and uni. We thought York would be good but what about Leeds?

Tbh if she's struggling with the WORKLOAD then she needs to stay out until she can handle it. Degrees are difficult, and courses have comparable workloads (but with different means of fulfilling them - e.g. engineering students will have tutorials in which they do problems, whereas a history student would have to direct and manage all their research solo). If she's struggling with one course what makes her think another will be any better? She needs to SERIOUSLY consider this as she risks being overwhelmed again and making her anxiety worse.

The University of Leeds have a particularly strong pastoral care and a great disabled student help department. I've just returned after I took a year out due to chronic fatigue and my department as well as the help from the disabled student place have made it a lot easier to readjust, although a LOT of what I have to do is self-management rather than things they can help with. If she's got anxiety issues then she should declare it to the university, her department and the student support people and get accommodations from them.
Original post by Muffinz
No, it is not. I have been here for three years and the only time I was around people who desperately wanted to go out was when I was in halls. There re a lot of people who don't like getting very drunk and going out, you just need to find them. (Most of them are in the nerd societies - SocieTEA, Pokemon, Comics, Sci-Fi, Assassins, Anime - Rock Soc share a lot of members here but they tend to get rowdier). But yeah, don't worry at all, and just find people who share your interests. You are not a special unique snowflake.

Thanks for the advice :smile: But holy crap no need for the last sentence haha like my post said I asked for my friend who's applying this year who has anxiety. I'm at uni already :wink:
Reply 6

thx

Hi! I'm from Leeds, where did you decide lately? :smile: and are you male or female lol?
I see casual sex all the time. I once had to wait 25 minutes to try on my new lambs wool jumper in the Next fitting rooms because people were just hooking up and bonking in there left, right and centre.

Randy buggers.
Reply 8
Original post by TheWizard
I see casual sex all the time. I once had to wait 25 minutes to try on my new lambs wool jumper in the Next fitting rooms because people were just hooking up and bonking in there left, right and centre.

Randy buggers.

Really? I never see anyone like that lol:eek:
I had some friends at Leeds Uni and I had some wild times there every time I went.
Reply 10
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
I had some friends at Leeds Uni and I had some wild times there every time I went.

Please tell me where? I had a disappointed Saturday :frown:
Original post by Highli
Please tell me where? I had a disappointed Saturday :frown:

I think one place I used to stay was Richmond Road off Headingley lane, which I believe is near Woodhouse Moor.
Reply 12
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
I think one place I used to stay was Richmond Road off Headingley lane, which I believe is near Woodhouse Moor.

Any club name? :redface:
There was a video I remember about students life in leeds. All the students who were in the video sounded drunk.

Quick Reply

Latest