The Student Room Group

4th AS-level ?

i am really confused, i would like to do medicine so definitely want to do biology, chemistry, maths at A2 but i just wanted to know for medicine does it matter what the 4th AS is because i wanted something relaxing and interesting like sociology, but apparently it is seen as soft for medicine so should i do something like english lit or geography instead ? or if there are any easy as levels ?

Scroll to see replies

It doesn't matter as long as you can get a good grade. UCL like a contasting subject, Cambridge like a fourth science, but otherwise it doesn't matter one bit.
Yep, agree with loperdoper
Go for whatever interests you, universities really don't mind as long as you do well :smile: however, academic subjects might give you better stead against other candidates rather than having a 'softer' subject such as home economics, for example.

I'm applying to medicine and I'm currently doing my AS levels. Like you I took biology, chemistry and maths and for my fourth subject I chose French. This is purely because I enjoy the subject and I find it teaches me a lot of useful skills for medicine such as communication and literacy, and builds confidence. It's also definitely far more relaxing than my maths and sciences :biggrin:

Similarly, I've also heard that history is another contrasting subject which is very useful, as well as English literature.

Tl;dr: choose whatever the heck you want :wink:
Try an essay subject for your fourth! English, History, Philosophy, a modern language, an ancient language...it provides a break from all sciences and is also really interesting in its own right :smile:

Do what you want to do, basically. :tongue: Just bear in mind having a fourth is generally an advantage, if only because you can drop a subject you dislike after AS.
bump
bump
Reply 7
I do maths, bio, chem and geo. although geo is a lot of independent work the lessons themselves are really chill and interesting and a lot of it is about linking ideas and interpreting data which can be pretty useful.
My friend does the same as me but history instead of geo and hates it. So I would say be careful with the fourth subject you choose and research the course content so you know you'll like it.
Reply 8
I am doing CIE English AS level as my fourth subject. Unfortunately, there was no teacher in my area who teaches the subject. Anyway, I prepared it alone, but it is difficult. I need a guide. I still have 3 months. Could anyone who did it just offer me help on making a revision. I really would like someone more experienced to read my essays and commentaries to grade them. It is really urgent, and I believe I might not even obtain an ''e'' grade.
I am currently in year 11 so i am picking my A-levels for college right now , so far i have an A in core science and an A* in human biology IGCSE which were both done in year 10
they are linear , but for some reason everyone in my year had to do core science in year 10 and additional and triple in year 11 and i self taught the human biology myself and since it is an IGCSE i did it in january
it is linear because all the exams are done at the end of the course, modular is when you do some exams in January and some in june
uggggh physics, although it was my highest grade in core science, i could never do it for A-level
walthamstow academy
yes but i did both exams in january not 1 in june and 1 in january
bump
bump
bump
bump
I'm currently in AS and I'm studying Physics, Chemistry, maths and Geography and I have been worried that not doing Biology would reduce my chance of doing a Natural Science course at University. Would this be the case? And if anybody has done all three Sciences and Maths, how is the workload and is it better to choose a slightly different subject another than science related ones?

Quick Reply

Latest