The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

How safe is this place?

As an asian international student, we hear that many UK universities are dangerous in the evening times, especially for foreigners. I was wondering if anyone had any experience here? I wish to apply as I like the program but my friend said it is not too safe. Thanks :smile:
Don't worry, there's loads of Asians at Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
It's a big city, and like all big cities there is some crime. However, Manchester is really no worse than any other UK city (and the UK isn't exactly crime ridden compared to most nations worldwide either).

If you follow the basic precautions that you would follow anywhere else (e.g. don't walk home alone at night when you're drunk and lock your front door) and avoid making yourself a target, then you're highly unlikely to have any problems. I'm a rather short female and I spent three years in Manchester as a student but I was never the victim of crime.

With regards to your ethnicity, Manchester is a very multicultural city. It's not clear from your post if you're south or east Asian, but there are large populations of both south and east Asians living locally. Just to the south of the university (and on the way to most of the halls) is the famous Curry Mile, which houses a wide variety of South Asian and Middle Eastern businesses. Rusholme (the neighbourhood where the Curry Mile is located) has a very large South Asian and Muslim population. Just north of the university, towards the city centre, is the largest Chinatown in the UK outside London. There's also a very large Chinese population within the university - IIRC a quarter of the university's students are internationals, and of those about a quarter are Chinese. In short - your ethnicity won't be an issue, as you will very much blend in.
Reply 3
Dont believe all you hear and read about crime in the UK. The UK has to be well up there as one of the safest places to live in the world though of course it doesnt rate as highly as many Asian countries such as Japan or Singapore.

Just take the normal precautions. Unfortunately some freshers turning up in big cities are exposed to higher risk simply due to unfamiliarity with the environment and also because some local feral criminals seek to prey on them.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/violent-gang-teenage-girls-robbed-7841850

Females can be particularly vulnerable.

In Manchester for example, i would urge all female students not to walk through park areas after dark.
Reply 4
Oh hello! I am not British and live in Manchester Area. It is not a heaven spot, but don't worry it ain't Gotham either. I must agree- it is not the prettiest of places (unless you go to Salford Quays down from Manchester- amazing, modern so clean its shiny!)(my favourite spot in UK). As it is a big city the crime rates might be high. I personally loathe going there- chaos and mess firstly come to mind, and I've been to London! It stuffers from suburbanisation, leaving poor state of buldings in the inner city areas, there are some spots deemed being most criminal in UK. But Univeristy has a good reputation, loved the open day. It also has some stunning museums, concert halls, and used to be second biggest city on the planet back in its days.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest