The Student Room Group

I can't find a part time job.

Hello.

I'm applying for every part time job I see but as I'm a student, I can only work on Wednesdays and Weekends. This limits my job search considerably. Those jobs which coincide with my availability are bugging me. I applied to 6 Tesco jobs through their career center 2 weeks ago and still I haven't heard back from them. The same case with WHSmith. I applied 3 times and still I haven't heard anything. I applied to the Royal Mail last week and I haven't heard back from them yet. I really need a part time job anywhere. I'm broke...

Where can I find part time jobs?! :s-smilie:

Do I just need to keep trying?
Original post by The PM's guilt
Hello.

I'm applying for every part time job I see but as I'm a student, I can only work on Wednesdays and Weekends. This limits my job search considerably. Those jobs which coincide with my availability are bugging me. I applied to 6 Tesco jobs through their career center 2 weeks ago and still I haven't heard back from them. The same case with WHSmith. I applied 3 times and still I haven't heard anything. I applied to the Royal Mail last week and I haven't heard back from them yet. I really need a part time job anywhere. I'm broke...

Have you tried Primark? I know it may not be the ideal choice but they hire students for just weekend work which is about 8 hours a week. Also, I work at Sainsburys and in the job description, they put the exact shifts that they want you to work each week which can be as little as one evening (say 5 - 9pm) and a weekend day (say Sunday 10 - 4) or just Saturday and Sunday. Are you at college or University?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello.

Try mcdonalds
Reply 3
Occasionally local stores like newsagents or small shops look for weekend assistants as well if that's any good to you maybe? or local library? Have a similar problem myself... good luck!
Reply 4
Hello.

How old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
............?

Keep trying, but also, you are expecting results too quickly. You won't hear anything until after the deadline for applications, probably a week, maybe two later, then interviews will be a week after that, then the results of the interview up to a week after that, and often a start date about a month after that. It certainly doesn't happen within two weeks unless its a word-of-mouth type job.
Reply 6
Hello.

To be fair, I wouldn't hold out for WHSmith. They're actually in the progress of laying people off. They have introduced a new tablet system where apparently each tablet can replace a member of staff. I think you'd be extremely lucky to get a job there at the moment!:confused:
Hello.

Me too, there too fussy just to put boxes on shelfs
Original post by Sjindon73
To be fair, I wouldn't hold out for WHSmith. They're actually in the progress of laying people off. They have introduced a new tablet system where apparently each tablet can replace a member of staff. I think you'd be extremely lucky to get a job there at the moment!:confused:

My boyfriend got hired there about two weeks ago....
Reply 9
Original post by Jackieox
My boyfriend got hired there about two weeks ago....

Obviously depends on the stores, but I'm just saying that they generally will stop hiring as many as they did several months ago
You should try Marks and Spencers! They have lots of jobs and state the hours on the application and have lots of variety (I'm only contracted 10-6 on a Saturday and Sunday, although if I ask for more hours in the week then they would put me in). The application was really easy as well and they tell you straight away when you have answered some questions online if they want you for an interview and you book your interview time there and then. I had my interview 4 days later and they told me on the day I had the job! The interview was also really straightforward. Hope this helps:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest