The Student Room Group

JET Programme 2015

Hey guys!

Anyone here thinking of applying to the JET programme for next year? i'd love to get to know some potential applicants! Or anyone who is interested or has done it!

thanks you!

Maddy :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I applied to the JET Programme twice a few years ago and didn't get on, it's crazy competitive. If you do get on, it's a great experience. I ended up going out to Japan with a private company, I've recently come back to pursue a PGCE. Many of my friends out there were JETs. JET is well known for being the best paid teaching gig in Japan for a foreigner but it's a bit pot luck as to whether you get a good placement or not. PM me if you want to know more about what to expect working in Japan or about alternatives to JET.
Me! I'm really interested in doing this...also looking at a similar programme for South Korea. I really want to find out more what it's about too :smile:
South Korea's main teaching programme is EPIK. I have friends who did it before coming to Japan, you get a pretty good deal from what I hear.

What kinds of things do you specifically want to know about?
Original post by Veggiechic6
South Korea's main teaching programme is EPIK. I have friends who did it before coming to Japan, you get a pretty good deal from what I hear.

What kinds of things do you specifically want to know about?

Just mainly about the application process, it hasn't even opened for this year yet so I wanted to know about what they look for... also what life in Japan is like, how many teaching hours it is, life in Japan and whether it's isolated or now.. I don't speak any japanese so wondered what that's like etc
Original post by tillytots
Just mainly about the application process, it hasn't even opened for this year yet so I wanted to know about what they look for... also what life in Japan is like, how many teaching hours it is, life in Japan and whether it's isolated or now.. I don't speak any japanese so wondered what that's like etc

The application process might have changed from when I applied, but I know that it's very strict and there's a lot to it. If you don't do everything by the letter, your application is in danger of being rejected. There's only a small window in which to apply, otherwise you have to wait a whole year to apply again.

The most important part of the application is the personal statement, explaining why you want the job, why Japan etc. Similar to a UCAS statement I guess. Remember JET is focussed a lot on cultural exchange as well as teaching, so you need to cover both angles. Back up anything you say with evidence of how you demonstrated the skill/ability.

You'll also need 2 references, a medical check including full details of all trips to the doctor (signed off by a doctor), complete an application form online, academic transcript, proof of degree and proof of nationality.

Life in Japan is pretty great. It really depends on where you're placed though. I lived in Numazu, Shizuoka prefecture. I could see Mt Fuji from my house. It was a medium size city with a great English teacher community. It's easy to make friends because everyone has something in common and people arranged meetups and events all the time on Facebook. However, with JET you get pretty much no say in where you're placed. They're very big on rural placements where the nearest English speaker is miles away and you need a car to get anywhere. You have to go into the programme in a very adaptable frame of mind with no expectations. Many people end up leaving because they have unrealistic ideas about Japan. Do your research and don't be one of those people.

With JET you'll most likely teach in junior high (12-15) or senior high (15-18). The workload varies. Some JETs get used as a human tape recorder by the JTE (Japanese Teacher of English) and find the job pretty boring. Others are given much more responsibility. If you go with Interac (private company I went with) you'll most likely be in an elementary school (age 6-12) and fully in control of all lessons. I loved it. Again though, you get no say, I didn't find out what schools I'd be working at until I was out there. It's very much a leap into the unknown.

Regarding Japanese, I'd get learning if I were you. Most English is concentrated in big cities, and odds are you'll be placed in a rural area. People there can't really speak English, I felt sorry for people arriving who couldn't read or speak at all, it must be very hard. I'd advise you to at least learn some basic words, phrases, and be able to read hiragana and katakana before you go out there.
Reply 6

Same! Im going for the experience! It's great theres another one of us! Have you started thinking abiut your personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
The application process might have changed from when I applied, but I know that it's very strict and there's a lot to it. If you don't do everything by the letter, your application is in danger of being rejected. There's only a small window in which to apply, otherwise you have to wait a whole year to apply again.

The most important part of the application is the personal statement, explaining why you want the job, why Japan etc. Similar to a UCAS statement I guess. Remember JET is focussed a lot on cultural exchange as well as teaching, so you need to cover both angles. Back up anything you say with evidence of how you demonstrated the skill/ability.

You'll also need 2 references, a medical check including full details of all trips to the doctor (signed off by a doctor), complete an application form online, academic transcript, proof of degree and proof of nationality.

Life in Japan is pretty great. It really depends on where you're placed though. I lived in Numazu, Shizuoka prefecture. I could see Mt Fuji from my house. It was a medium size city with a great English teacher community. It's easy to make friends because everyone has something in common and people arranged meetups and events all the time on Facebook. However, with JET you get pretty much no say in where you're placed. They're very big on rural placements where the nearest English speaker is miles away and you need a car to get anywhere. You have to go into the programme in a very adaptable frame of mind with no expectations. Many people end up leaving because they have unrealistic ideas about Japan. Do your research and don't be one of those people.

With JET you'll most likely teach in junior high (12-15) or senior high (15-18). The workload varies. Some JETs get used as a human tape recorder by the JTE (Japanese Teacher of English) and find the job pretty boring. Others are given much more responsibility. If you go with Interac (private company I went with) you'll most likely be in an elementary school (age 6-12) and fully in control of all lessons. I loved it. Again though, you get no say, I didn't find out what schools I'd be working at until I was out there. It's very much a leap into the unknown.

Regarding Japanese, I'd get learning if I were you. Most English is concentrated in big cities, and odds are you'll be placed in a rural area. People there can't really speak English, I felt sorry for people arriving who couldn't read or speak at all, it must be very hard. I'd advise you to at least learn some basic words, phrases, and be able to read hiragana and katakana before you go out there.

Thank you so much! So insightful!

:smile::smile::smile:

is there anything in particular they look for in applications?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's difficult to say. The JET website lists things than would make a stronger application, such as teaching experience. But it's all rather vague and I know plenty of people who got in without any experience or language ability, and others turned down despite seeming well qualified. I still have a copy of the personal statement I used 2nd time around that got me an interview, if you want me to send it you. Have you been on the UK website? It's here:
http://www.jet-uk.org/index.php

Another resource is I think I'm Lost, an unofficial teaching forum for Japan
http://www.ithinkimlost.com/

I first applied in 2010 for the 2011 intake and I didn't even get an interview. It's difficult to know how what I did wrong since they have a 'no feedback' policy. I waited a whole year and applied again. This time I got an interview. They're all held in London or Edinburgh and you have to attend the specific slot, no changes. After attending my interview and waiting a few more months, I got a letter to say I'd been selected as an alternate. This meant I could only get a place if somebody else dropped out. Every year prior to departure, several successful applicants will drop out for one reason or another, but there's also a long list of people as alternates. I had to pay for a private X ray, do another medical check and a police check to remain on this waiting list. I still didn't get a place, after months of waiting. In the end, I wasn't prepared to wait another year to apply again so I went with Interac, who recruit all year round and are far more flexible. Apart from the higher salary, I'd definitely argue that Interac beats JET in every other way, so don't think it's game over if you don't get into JET.
It's difficult to say. The JET website lists things than would make a stronger application, such as teaching experience. But it's all rather vague and I know plenty of people who got in without any experience or language ability, and others turned down despite seeming well qualified. I still have a copy of the personal statement I used 2nd time around that got me an interview, if you want me to send it you. Have you been on the UK website? It's here:
http://www.jet-uk.org/index.php

Another resource is I think I'm Lost, an unofficial teaching forum for Japan
http://www.ithinkimlost.com/

I first applied in 2010 for the 2011 intake and I didn't even get an interview. It's difficult to know how what I did wrong since they have a 'no feedback' policy. I waited a whole year and applied again. This time I got an interview. They're all held in London or Edinburgh and you have to attend the specific slot, no changes. After attending my interview and waiting a few more months, I got a letter to say I'd been selected as an alternate. This meant I could only get a place if somebody else dropped out. Every year prior to departure, several successful applicants will drop out for one reason or another, but there's also a long list of people as alternates. I had to pay for a private X ray, do another medical check and a police check to remain on this waiting list. I still didn't get a place, after months of waiting. In the end, I wasn't prepared to wait another year to apply again so I went with Interac, who recruit all year round and are far more flexible. Apart from the higher salary, I'd definitely argue that Interac beats JET in every other way, so don't think it's game over if you don't get into JET.

Do you think working with Interac was the reason you were placed in a slightly larger region, or was it just luck? You say Interac is also a leap into the unknown, but is that in terms of the area or just the schools? I'm keen to teach in Japan (my friend spent 3 years in Japan with JET and speaks extremely highly of it) but I've spent all my life in cities and, while I am fascinated by the cultural challenge of living in Japan, I wouldn't cope well with being in a rural area.
Original post by *Supernova*
Do you think working with Interac was the reason you were placed in a slightly larger region, or was it just luck? You say Interac is also a leap into the unknown, but is that in terms of the area or just the schools? I'm keen to teach in Japan (my friend spent 3 years in Japan with JET and speaks extremely highly of it) but I've spent all my life in cities and, while I am fascinated by the cultural challenge of living in Japan, I wouldn't cope well with being in a rural area.

Possibly, but both JET and Interac are big on rural regions. I got lucky. With Interac, you do get more say on where you're placed (JET only pretends to listen) and also after your 1st year, you can request to transfer to a different branch if you wish. So you can start out rural, and move to a city. Lots of people move to Yokohama or Kyoto after their 1st year. JET offers no such flexibility. If you don't like where you're placed with them, tough. The only other option is, once you're over there with a work visa, you can look for work with a small private teaching company; there are plenty.

When I say leap into the unknown, I mean that you don't really get told much before flying over there. Everything is last minute, like being told apartment and city details. Some people don't even find out what city they'll be living in until they arrive. Certainly I didn't know what schools I'd be in or the age range or who else would be placed in the same city.

If you know you wouldn't cope well in a rural area, I'm not sure JET would be the best to go with. They're looking for people who can cope with anything thrown at them. You can select an urban preference on the app form, but if you get an interview, they'll ask you to explain why and whether or not you would mind a rural area. Rural isn't so bad, Japan's countryside is beautiful. Often cheaper than a city, you can learn Japanese faster and get in with the locals. There's usually a good transports system to get you to a city if need be.
Possibly, but both JET and Interac are big on rural regions. I got lucky. With Interac, you do get more say on where you're placed (JET only pretends to listen) and also after your 1st year, you can request to transfer to a different branch if you wish. So you can start out rural, and move to a city. Lots of people move to Yokohama or Kyoto after their 1st year. JET offers no such flexibility. If you don't like where you're placed with them, tough. The only other option is, once you're over there with a work visa, you can look for work with a small private teaching company; there are plenty.

When I say leap into the unknown, I mean that you don't really get told much before flying over there. Everything is last minute, like being told apartment and city details. Some people don't even find out what city they'll be living in until they arrive. Certainly I didn't know what schools I'd be in or the age range or who else would be placed in the same city.

If you know you wouldn't cope well in a rural area, I'm not sure JET would be the best to go with. They're looking for people who can cope with anything thrown at them. You can select an urban preference on the app form, but if you get an interview, they'll ask you to explain why and whether or not you would mind a rural area. Rural isn't so bad, Japan's countryside is beautiful. Often cheaper than a city, you can learn Japanese faster and get in with the locals. There's usually a good transports system to get you to a city if need be.

Very informative, thank you! :smile:
Went to a presentation for it today and decided I don't think it's for me even though I'd love to go to Japan... Good luck everyone else!
Reply 13
Went to a presentation for it today and decided I don't think it's for me even though I'd love to go to Japan... Good luck everyone else!

Aww thats a shame! Did they say abything about when the applications will open?

Posted from TSR Mobile

why?
Original post by Juichiro
why?

I dunno, I've been applying to other grad schemes and have decided that I think I'm ready to move on with my life and actually have 'a career' and from what it sounds like JET is more teacher assistant like, I didn't want to do it on my year abroad last year so don't think I'd want to do it again. As much as I want to travel more and visit Japan I think I've decided I want to be able to do that without committing to a full year job involving me actually moving to the place. It's a bit 'been there, done that' for me because of my erasmus year last year. If I was to make a big move again I'd want it to be more permanent. The guy that did the talk was just very unenthusiastic and it really didn't seem that great, I don't think many other people in there were persuaded either.So yeah, it was more me than the programme itself.

and madzz no nothing was said about the starting date
Reply 16
I dunno, I've been applying to other grad schemes and have decided that I think I'm ready to move on with my life and actually have 'a career' and from what it sounds like JET is more teacher assistant like, I didn't want to do it on my year abroad last year so don't think I'd want to do it again. As much as I want to travel more and visit Japan I think I've decided I want to be able to do that without committing to a full year job involving me actually moving to the place. It's a bit 'been there, done that' for me because of my erasmus year last year. If I was to make a big move again I'd want it to be more permanent. The guy that did the talk was just very unenthusiastic and it really didn't seem that great, I don't think many other people in there were persuaded either.So yeah, it was more me than the programme itself.

and madzz no nothing was said about the starting date

Awww good luck! Im sure you will be awesome wherever you end up :biggrin:

Thanks! Im stressed about the personal statement bit! :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by madz251
Hey guys!

Anyone here thinking of applying to the JET programme for next year? i'd love to get to know some potential applicants! Or anyone who is interested or has done it!

thanks you!

Maddy :smile:

Hey Maddy I'm applying this year too :biggrin: Really exited I've wanted to join the programme since I was 16! I'm a bit nervous that the application still isn't open though :s-smilie:
Hey guys is anyone else worried it isn't open yet :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Hey! Nice to meet you! Im so excited!

I tweeted them, no reply, maybe they are having some consulate issues?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest