The Student Room Group

JET Programme 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madz251
Hey! Nice to meet you! Im so excited!

I tweeted them, no reply, maybe they are having some consulate issues?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice to meet you too, my names Olivia btw :biggrin:
Perhaps, I've never heard of it being this late before!
On the up side I guess there's more time to prepare everything else haha
Original post by Veggiechic6
I applied to the JET Programme twice a few years ago and didn't get on, it's crazy competitive. If you do get on, it's a great experience. I ended up going out to Japan with a private company, I've recently come back to pursue a PGCE. Many of my friends out there were JETs. JET is well known for being the best paid teaching gig in Japan for a foreigner but it's a bit pot luck as to whether you get a good placement or not. PM me if you want to know more about what to expect working in Japan or about alternatives to JET.

Hello Veggiechic6. Thank you for starting this. I'd be interested in hearing about how you worked out the private company route. What was the pay like compared to JET? Did you choose where you could go (I'd prefer Tokyo/Kyoto), was it easy to meet Japanese people and have them become friends?

I looked at JET/EPIK and it's a possibility for me. The worry is the not knowing where you go and the ridiculous application process I guess.

Original post by tillytots
Went to a presentation for it today and decided
I don't think it's for me even though I'd love to go to Japan... Good luck everyone else!

Hi tillytots. I saw your posts in the Civil Service thread as well. It sounds as if you're in a similar position to me in terms of final year student thinking what to do next. I'm just taking the view of applying for everything (grad schemes, Masters etc), and seeing what happens.

The problem with this scheme is just I'm put off by the application process. It just seems almost military level strict. I've never heard of the way they do references, asking for sealed envelopes hand written. Most things I've applied for so far you just give two email addresses and they take care of the rest. I'm really uncomfortable with all the medical checks as well. In Korea i've heard all sort of horror stories about random medical checks. Quite frankly it's not their business. It should be if you've got private medical insurance that is all that is required.

I can see what you mean when you say it isn't for you. Like I (like yourself) lived abroad for a year of my degree (Australia) and that was so easy, but I'd be worried about the social side of things. If you get placed in the middle of nowhere and are struggling to integrate I imagine it would be soul destroying. Like I'd really want to be in a big city.

I thought about Korea, but I'd pretty much want Seoul or nothing. There is another scheme asides from EPIK which is just Seoul which could be worth a shot.
Reply 22
Original post by OliviaAnderson
Nice to meet you too, my names Olivia btw :biggrin:
Perhaps, I've never heard of it being this late before!
On the up side I guess there's more time to prepare everything else haha

Nice to meet you! Im madhu, but you can call me maddy :smile:
Have you started on your statement of purpose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by madz251
Nice to meet you! Im madhu, but you can call me maddy :smile:
Have you started on your statement of purpose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've started, but I'm still working on the first part >.< Hopefully I'll get it done by Friday :smile: how's yours going/how are you finding it?

Frankly the whole thing is stressing me out, even getting my transcript isn't going well!
Reply 24
I've started, but I'm still working on the first part >.< Hopefully I'll get it done by Friday :smile: how's yours going/how are you finding it?

Frankly the whole thing is stressing me out, even getting my transcript isn't going well!

Ive finished mine, and now im just waiting on my references and transcripts T.T

I just want them to open thw applications already :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all, I too am applying to work in Japan, and am super nervous about the applications not being open yet, they seem to already be open in other areas of the world. Why did you all choose JET/Japan?
Reply 26
Original post by FionaRainbow
Hi all, I too am applying to work in Japan, and am super nervous about the applications not being open yet, they seem to already be open in other areas of the world. Why did you all choose JET/Japan?

Heya!

I know! But the applications for the US only opened 5 days ago, so im not too worried yet!

As for wht JET, it just sounds like an awesome experience!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eboracum
Hello Veggiechic6. Thank you for starting this. I'd be interested in hearing about how you worked out the private company route. What was the pay like compared to JET? Did you choose where you could go (I'd prefer Tokyo/Kyoto), was it easy to meet Japanese people and have them become friends?

I looked at JET/EPIK and it's a possibility for me. The worry is the not knowing where you go and the ridiculous application process I guess.

The company I went with was called Interac. Most people acknowledge Interac as being the next best thing if you don't get on JET. I can agree with this to some extent, although I would argue that Interac beats JET in many ways people don't realise. Interac will accept your application any time of the year although they mainly recruit for April and August starts. You fill in an application online (much easier than JET's) and then you get a telephone interview (easy routine questions). Then you'll be invited to a seminar/interview day. They have them in various places around the country (not just London/Edinburgh). You get lots of info, then you do a spelling/grammar test, a personal interview and you perform a 6 min demonstration lesson, which is video recorded. They respond with a yes/no within about a month. It's all much quicker and easier than JET's rigidness.

Regarding the pay comparison, hands down, JET beat every private company. It's because it's government sponsored. They're the only one that will pay your flights too and offer subsidised accommodation. But I didn't feel too hard done by on my salary, I still did what I wanted and saved for holidays. JET people hardly get any holidays, they work through the summer even though the kids aren't there! The flip side; Interac folk get the summer off, but they get a much reduced pay cheque for it.

Please don't put don't 'Tokyo or Kyoto' on your application form; they don't place there. The whole idea of JET is to experience the real Japan and bring your culture to places that might have little prior experience of it. Big cities like what you mentioned are already internationalised and have lots of foreigners, thus little demand for more. There's much more to Japan than the neon lights, foreign restaurants and high prices you'd get in big cities. With JET, they don't have to take your stated location preferences into consideration; you can be placed anywhere. If you don't want to go where they say, the only option is to withdraw and apply next time. Interac will allow you to turn down an initial placement offer and will find alternatives to suit.

Regarding Japanese friends, it depends on your language ability. Most Japanese people can't speak much English and aren't really used to foreigners, don't expect to be great friends with them tbh. I had a few good Japanese friends who were westernised and spoke fluent English, but there were still plenty of cultural clashes and misunderstandings. It was handy to have them translate stuff though! You'll find yourself hanging round with other foreigner English teachers in the area, simply for the sake of being able to speak without barriers with people in the same boat as you.

The application process is ridiculous. You might be able to tell from my tone, the whole experience of applying to JET has left me a little bitter. They have a no-feedback policy, so if you don't get in, they won't tell you why and it's very hard to improve for next time. You have to wait a whole year to apply again and if you end up on their 'alternate candidate' list, you still have to pay for a police check, a chest X ray and be kept hanging many more months. This is all what happened to me, and I still didn't get a place. I wish I'd have applied to Interac in the first instance, then I wouldn't have wasted 2 1/2 years with my JET application.

Well I hope you guys get in first time anyway, It's an amazing experience if you can survive the application process. For people struggling with their personal statement, I can post mine up as an example, since I'll not be applying. It got me an interview.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Veggiechic6
The company I went with was called Interac. Most people acknowledge Interac as being the next best thing if you don't get on JET. I can agree with this to some extent, although I would argue that Interac beats JET in many ways people don't realise. Interac will accept your application any time of the year although they mainly recruit for April and August starts. You fill in an application online (much easier than JET's) and then you get a telephone interview (easy routine questions). Then you'll be invited to a seminar/interview day. They have them in various places around the country (not just London/Edinburgh). You get lots of info, then you do a spelling/grammar test, a personal interview and you perform a 6 min demonstration lesson, which is video recorded. They respond with a yes/no within about a month. It's all much quicker and easier than JET's rigidness.

Regarding the pay comparison, hands down, JET beat every private company. It's because it's government sponsored. They're the only one that will pay your flights too and offer subsidised accommodation. But I didn't feel too hard done by on my salary, I still did what I wanted and saved for holidays. JET people hardly get any holidays, they work through the summer even though the kids aren't there! The flip side; Interac folk get the summer off, but they get a much reduced pay cheque for it.

Please don't put don't 'Tokyo or Kyoto' on your application form; they don't place there. The whole idea of JET is to experience the real Japan and bring your culture to places that might have little prior experience of it. Big cities like what you mentioned are already internationalised and have lots of foreigners, thus little demand for more. There's much more to Japan than the neon lights, foreign restaurants and high prices you'd get in big cities. With JET, they don't have to take your stated location preferences into consideration; you can be placed anywhere. If you don't want to go where they say, the only option is to withdraw and apply next time. Interac will allow you to turn down an initial placement offer and will find alternatives to suit.

Regarding Japanese friends, it depends on your language ability. Most Japanese people can't speak much English and aren't really used to foreigners, don't expect to be great friends with them tbh. I had a few good Japanese friends who were westernised and spoke fluent English, but there were still plenty of cultural clashes and misunderstandings. It was handy to have them translate stuff though! You'll find yourself hanging round with other foreigner English teachers in the area, simply for the sake of being able to speak without barriers with people in the same boat as you.

The application process is ridiculous. You might be able to tell from my tone, the whole experience of applying to JET has left me a little bitter. They have a no-feedback policy, so if you don't get in, they won't tell you why and it's very hard to improve for next time. You have to wait a whole year to apply again and if you end up on their 'alternate candidate' list, you still have to pay for a police check, a chest X ray and be kept hanging many more months. This is all what happened to me, and I still didn't get a place. I wish I'd have applied to Interac in the first instance, then I wouldn't have wasted 2 1/2 years with my JET application.

Well I hope you guys get in first time anyway, It's an amazing experience if you can survive the application process. For people struggling with their personal statement, I can post mine up as an example, since I'll not be applying. It got me an interview.

Thanks for this. Very kind of you. I won't be applying to JET, I just can't bare the application procedure. Hard enough applying for UK grad scheme/Masters! I sort of feel this type of thing wouldn't be for a long career anyway, it would be for a year or two of fun so the cash doesn't matter. You've sold me Interac over JET. Just a few quick questions on Interac now.

Application procedure. You mentioned it was much easier. Is there no 'getting your certificates apostilled' 'sending in references on paper' 'sending in full degree transcripts' then? Presumably just a photocopy of your degree?

Do Interac offer a choice of city? Do they offer Tokto/Kyoto/Osaka/similar places?

Do you need medical certificates with Interac? Do you have to do tests out there, and if so what kind of tests?

Is it possible for Westerns to meet Japanese girlfriends out there? (literally my dream)

Thanks Veggiechic :smile:
Original post by Eboracum
Thanks for this. Very kind of you. I won't be applying to JET, I just can't bare the application procedure. Hard enough applying for UK grad scheme/Masters! I sort of feel this type of thing wouldn't be for a long career anyway, it would be for a year or two of fun so the cash doesn't matter. You've sold me Interac over JET. Just a few quick questions on Interac now.

Application procedure. You mentioned it was much easier. Is there no 'getting your certificates apostilled' 'sending in references on paper' 'sending in full degree transcripts' then? Presumably just a photocopy of your degree?

Do Interac offer a choice of city? Do they offer Tokto/Kyoto/Osaka/similar places?

Do you need medical certificates with Interac? Do you have to do tests out there, and if so what kind of tests?

Is it possible for Westerns to meet Japanese girlfriends out there? (literally my dream)

Thanks Veggiechic :smile:

It's not really a career, there's no progression as such, it's just something people do for a couple of years. It's worth doing. I look back over my photos and think 'wow, I did all that!' The lifestyle is great, and I travelled to Thailand, Australia and Bali during my summer/winter holls. I went paragliding, climbed Mt Fuji, went to Universal Studios, visited crazy theme restaurants, did a wash tub boat race, a mud race, travelled loads round Japan, all sorts. People arrange stuff on FB for other foreigners and everyone joins in.

I'll try to remember stuff as best I can. You still have to write a personal statement for Interac but it's much shorter than what JET need. With references, you just supply contact details and Interac will contact them. Regarding paperwork, I remember sending off a couple of things like passport photos, degree photocopy etc. I believe you do need an original transcript, I got my uni to send a bunch of copies to me and that was accepted. There's still paperwork but it's not the massive pack JET demand. You'll have to sort out your work visa, but it's pretty straightforward and Interac will send you the documents you need. Medical wise, there's nothing required but you will have a chest X ray when you get to Japan, it's a condition of your work visa. You don't have to pay for the X ray.

You can choose a city on the application form but they may not take note. I didn't put down any preferences. If you're not happy with your place when you get there, you can request to move after a year, or switch to another employer. There are English teacher employers in the cities you've mentioned, but I'd advise you to widen your net and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised at how much you like other places. You can still visit these cities on your holiday travels (I've been to all 3- I hate Tokyo!)

Funnily enough, foreign guys seem to attract Japanese girlfriends very easily. I know a lot of guys who have got Japanese girls out there, some have settled down. I think Japanese girls like the 'foreignness' whereas Japanese guys tend to be intimidated by foreign girls so it's rare to see it the other way around.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by madz251
Ive finished mine, and now im just waiting on my references and transcripts T.T

I just want them to open thw applications already :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done for getting that done and dusted, I'm having a really difficult time writing mine :frown: I've got one reference so far, and as for transcripts I'm still working on them too :P

It would be nice if they would move the deadline back because of the delay but apparently it ends on the 28th of Nov :s-smilie: I'm especially worried because I need to go to my doctors to fill the medical form out but I can't book an appointment until I have the form, and then I have to travel home to do it

What a bother >.<
Reply 31
Well done for getting that done and dusted, I'm having a really difficult time writing mine :frown: I've got one reference so far, and as for transcripts I'm still working on them too :P

It would be nice if they would move the deadline back because of the delay but apparently it ends on the 28th of Nov :s-smilie: I'm especially worried because I need to go to my doctors to fill the medical form out but I can't book an appointment until I have the form, and then I have to travel home to do it

What a bother >.<

Its worrying because of how short a time we have to fill everything and submit it! Just hope they open it by the first week of november!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by madz251
Its worrying because of how short a time we have to fill everything and submit it! Just hope they open it by the first week of november!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they could do it in the next couple of days even better, its hard enough doing it during university so the time pressure doesn't help!
Reply 33
If they could do it in the next couple of days even better, its hard enough doing it during university so the time pressure doesn't help!

Its open now! have you guys started your applications?
Original post by madz251
Its open now! have you guys started your applications?

I have drafts of my personal statement and application form and medical form, got my academic transcript and proof of degree letters.

just need to do lots of scanning in of all the other things and pick up my references and see the doctor to fill in the statement of physician form.

How are you guys getting on with it?
Reply 35
Hey guys!

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone who ended up applying and hope you all get accepted!

Reply 36
Original post by FionaRainbow
I have drafts of my personal statement and application form and medical form, got my academic transcript and proof of degree letters.

just need to do lots of scanning in of all the other things and pick up my references and see the doctor to fill in the statement of physician form.

How are you guys getting on with it?

Hey! Sorry for the late response!! It was hectic! But all done now! Sent yours in ok?
Hello, instead of starting a new thread, I hope it's okay for me to add to this one!

I also applied to the scheme but haven't heard anything yet and don't expect to for a few weeks yet.

This would be a big move for me if I was successful. I work full time at the moment and just got married too!

Still, I've not really seen anything much about this programme anywhere else so thought I would add.
Original post by enlight85
Hello, instead of starting a new thread, I hope it's okay for me to add to this one!

I also applied to the scheme but haven't heard anything yet and don't expect to for a few weeks yet.

This would be a big move for me if I was successful. I work full time at the moment and just got married too!

Still, I've not really seen anything much about this programme anywhere else so thought I would add.

Hey, if you selected London for your interview you will hear back late Dec-Jan, if you applied for Edinburgh (like I did) then you won't hear back until mid Jan,
Good luck!
Reply 39
Original post by enlight85

Hi!

Same, but the wait is killing me! But my mum is constantly reminding me that no news is good news haha!

Oh wow!(Congrats :smile:) But its a fantastic opportunity!

Good luck with your application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending