The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Applications sent!!! anybody else?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gemma345
Oh jeez. I'm scared of you now. Perhaps I need to change my name.

Well, those all sound like great options. I hope something comes up for you :smile: And if Durham has accepted you, then I imagine UCL will! :biggrin:

That's great that your brother is there - you'll have to report back about the department. :ninjagirl: I'm actually quite excited about David Held being there.

Now that's a bit creepy. Did I tell you what I'm doing my dissertation on? I'm measuring the effectiveness of humanitarian intervention in cases of genocide and politicide. Overall, I agree with it, but there needs to be an effective and efficient vetting procedure for potential intervention methods and their exit strategy. And, of course, to see the genuine reasons behind why they're doing it (classic case of Iraq I'll throw in there). You?

Jeez I'm only kidding around. Just thought it was the done thing for people at uni with the same interests to hang out. Obviously not!

Yes. I'll see what happens. But working after this degree is also an option for me, depends who will have me I guess.

Held is a monster dog in the discipline isn't he. I remember writing about his Globalisation theory in first year. He's the chair of the school our degrees would be in.

No you didn't tell me, it just seems like the first logical question for anybody interested in working for an intergovernmental organisation or an NGO. My friend is doing the same diss topic as you. I'm a staunch interventionist. Have you learned about hegemonic stability theory by Kindleberger? I agree with it, I think it's right to try and give our values and the things we take for granted in the west to other countries. I'm not convinced Blair and Bush lied about Iraq either. I think the intentions were good but the execution of the strategy and the strategy itself were a disaster.
Original post by Eboracum
Jeez I'm only kidding around. Just thought it was the done thing for people at uni with the same interests to hang out. Obviously not!

Yes. I'll see what happens. But working after this degree is also an option for me, depends who will have me I guess.

Held is a monster dog in the discipline isn't he. I remember writing about his Globalisation theory in first year. He's the chair of the school our degrees would be in.

No you didn't tell me, it just seems like the first logical question for anybody interested in working for an intergovernmental organisation or an NGO. My friend is doing the same diss topic as you. I'm a staunch interventionist. Have you learned about hegemonic stability theory by Kindleberger? I agree with it, I think it's right to try and give our values and the things we take for granted in the west to other countries. I'm not convinced Blair and Bush lied about Iraq either. I think the intentions were good but the execution of the strategy and the strategy itself were a disaster.

Sure, if I know who you are. I don't know who you are. (Plus, take a joke).

Nope, I have not learned about that theory.
Sure, if I know who you are. I don't know who you are. (Plus, take a joke).

Nope, I have not learned about that theory.

I'm sorry. Please forgive me. :smile: I couldn't tell if you were joking or not! It just seemed an unusual thing to joke about with somebody you had just started talking to that's all. I think what's probably happening is as it's a forum things are being lost in translation. :colondollar:

You mentioned the Durham colleges. Which one do you like the look of? I'd love to live in University College, but only about 150-200 end up in the castle part, and the rest end up in some bland 70s accommodation about 5 minutes away, at least, that's what I'm told! I really like the look of the hill colleges. I've been to Hatfield and it's nice, but I've been told the people there are not so nice.
university of birmingham
got an offer today, so trilled
I maybe apply for another uni just to see my other options, but I know that university of birmingham is the right university for me
Reply 64
Heyy guys just an update - I got an offer from Queen Mary College and Cardiff!! :biggrin: and a rejection from Nottingham :s-smilie: But anywhooo I am very happy!!! now just looking at cost structure and accommodation to make a choice :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I'm sorry. Please forgive me. :smile: I couldn't tell if you were joking or not! It just seemed an unusual thing to joke about with somebody you had just started talking to that's all. I think what's probably happening is as it's a forum things are being lost in translation. :colondollar:

You mentioned the Durham colleges. Which one do you like the look of? I'd love to live in University College, but only about 150-200 end up in the castle part, and the rest end up in some bland 70s accommodation about 5 minutes away, at least, that's what I'm told! I really like the look of the hill colleges. I've been to Hatfield and it's nice, but I've been told the people there are not so nice.

Bad news - I got my official offer through today and they said the fees (for last year) were £9,400. So I imagine they'll be more for our year.
Bad news - I got my official offer through today and they said the fees (for last year) were £9,400. So I imagine they'll be more for our year.

Is this Durham? And what course? My letter said the fees last year were £6,200.
Is this Durham? And what course? My letter said the fees last year were £6,200.

Yeah, Durham. What - what course are you doing? I'm doing MSc Global Politics :frown: Pretty gutted because this is stretching my budget to the limit.
Yeah, Durham. What - what course are you doing? I'm doing MSc Global Politics :frown: Pretty gutted because this is stretching my budget to the limit.

I nearly went with that one, but I felt the MA International Relations looked a better option, and was cheaper as well so I went with it. That was £6,200 last year, so I'd expect it to be about £6,500 this year.
I nearly went with that one, but I felt the MA International Relations looked a better option, and was cheaper as well so I went with it. That was £6,200 last year, so I'd expect it to be about £6,500 this year.

I.R. just isn't what I want to do, at all. But I can't quite understand how they can justify an extra whopping £3,200.
I.R. just isn't what I want to do, at all. But I can't quite understand how they can justify an extra whopping £3,200.

To be honest I didn't see major differences between the MSc Global Politics and the MA International Relations, that's why I went for the cheaper one. But perhaps you did?
To be honest I didn't see major differences between the MSc Global Politics and the MA International Relations, that's why I went for the cheaper one. But perhaps you did?

The IR courses are region specific and more theory based (I think?). I want to do something very broad and very much focused on the interactions of global institutions. I'll email them and ask exactly how it's an MSc

Although, looking at it, I can take optional modules from other departments - International Law, International Business, and Geography. This might be why.
I'm applying for a MSt at the University of Oxford, in Medieval Studies, Viking and Anglo-Saxon Studies MA at the University of Nottingham, and I applied to University of York for Medieval Studies taught MA and I've already received an offer! :smile:

I am leaning towards York at the moment, just because it looks like somewhere that I would really enjoy learning, and grow as a person. But we shall see!
Original post by the_wanderer
I'm applying for a MSt at the University of Oxford, in Medieval Studies, Viking and Anglo-Saxon Studies MA at the University of Nottingham, and I applied to University of York for Medieval Studies taught MA and I've already received an offer! :smile:

I am leaning towards York at the moment, just because it looks like somewhere that I would really enjoy learning, and grow as a person. But we shall see!

You got into all 3? Wow! Awesome. Congratulations!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DannyAbba
You got into all 3? Wow! Awesome. Congratulations!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh god, no. I've only submitted the York one, and they happened to reply really quickly - within a week, actually! I'm still looking over my application for Oxford, because, just...intense. If York has offered me a place so quickly though, it looks promising!
Original post by the_wanderer
Oh god, no. I've only submitted the York one, and they happened to reply really quickly - within a week, actually! I'm still looking over my application for Oxford, because, just...intense. If York has offered me a place so quickly though, it looks promising!

Hahaha. Yeah. That should be a good sign. All the best! ✌👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending