The Student Room Group

Biology AQA Krebs Cycle?

Hey,
Within the Krebs cycle do we need to know the names of the carbon molecules and the enzymes and stuff? e.g ketoglutarate?
I feel as though my teacher is going in-depth with the names because they aren't in the book it just names them as 4 carbon molecule or 5 carbon molecule?

This is for AQA :P
Original post by BlackWidow24
Hey,
Within the Krebs cycle do we need to know the names of the carbon molecules and the enzymes and stuff? e.g ketoglutarate?
I feel as though my teacher is going in-depth with the names because they aren't in the book it just names them as 4 carbon molecule or 5 carbon molecule?

This is for AQA :P

I've been taught (how ATP is produced):
a glucose molecule is too large to fit into the mitochondrion and so it is broken down into pyruvate, a 3 carbon molecule. It is then small enough to pass into the mitochondrion where it is further broken down into carbon dioxide and hydrogen in a series of reactions known as krebs cycle. Finally, the cristae (inner membrane folded highly) contains enzymes which combine oxygen and hydrogen to form the energy ATP and water. That's all we've been taught, so I'm worried? Can you help? Haha
Original post by Sacred Ground
I've been taught (how ATP is produced):
a glucose molecule is too large to fit into the mitochondrion and so it is broken down into pyruvate, a 3 carbon molecule. It is then small enough to pass into the mitochondrion where it is further broken down into carbon dioxide and hydrogen in a series of reactions known as krebs cycle. Finally, the cristae (inner membrane folded highly) contains enzymes which combine oxygen and hydrogen to form the energy ATP and water. That's all we've been taught, so I'm worried? Can you help? Haha

Are you doing AQA?
We've been taught the individual stages, glycolysis, the link reaction, Krebs, ETC and the little bits that come with it. My teacher has been telling us the names of the Carbon molecules and they are exhausting. I'll try and find out about what we need to know because I'm really not sure :s-smilie:
Original post by BlackWidow24
Are you doing AQA?
We've been taught the individual stages, glycolysis, the link reaction, Krebs, ETC and the little bits that come with it. My teacher has been telling us the names of the Carbon molecules and they are exhausting. I'll try and find out about what we need to know because I'm really not sure :s-smilie:

Yeah I'm doing AQA, I checked the Collins book and it pretty much has exactly what I wrote, it really doesn't go into a lot of detail. Maybe your teacher is going too far?

Quick Reply

Latest