The Student Room Group

Uni Course Not Right For Me

Hey,
So I've got into University to do physics but have had doubts about this for a while. When I started Sixth Form I wanted to do something related to graphics and design but I had really bad teachers and they completely put me off. I guess I thought I had to go to University (my mum flunked out and didn't go to University until much later in life, I think she regretted it and didn't want me to do the same) to do something so I picked the subject I preferred/was vaguely interested in/had the best teachers/my friends were doing and thought I could do the art on the side. However I wasn't interested enough to read extra books around the subject, even though I'd bought them with the intention of doing so (and said I had for my personal statement). I got a job during the second year of Sixth Form working in a shoe shop and I really enjoyed it, my colleagues were all lovely but I also enjoyed the work and being able to interact with a lot of different people in one day. Over the summer I really enjoyed the independence of getting up, going out to work and earning money, without having to worry about homework and stuff. Anyhow, now that I'm here I think I have made a horrible mistake and would infact like to be doing something more creative and crafty, maybe start up my own business. I've only been at the lectures for 2 weeks but everytime they say "You're all going to be physists" I feel like I'm dying inside. I can't bear the thought of 4 more years of this to get a job in a lab, I'd much rather be out in the world. The thing that makes this decision that little bit harder is that so far I'm loving the social life, my flatmates, moving out from home and I don't want to lose that and be "the one who dropped out". Also I don't want to make this decision and have it come to bite me later.
I'm sorry for the really rambly post but any suggestions would be hugely welcome thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by pink.flamingo

Would you like to go into a physics-related/scientific field? If you do then it's probably not the best idea to throw in the towel now. Arts stuff, i'd probably suggest on building a portfolio of skills - if you have any intention of doing a professional course this is what they'll look at. Business is altogether a completely odd one, so either start something small now or get out into the world, get some money behind you, and launch something. Someone on my degree has spent the last few years building up a small jewellery and craft type business, and i'm guessing she'll probably try take it to the next level by putting up a shop at some point.

I entirely, whole-heartedly understand the feelings about not wanting to be there / wanting to be out. It royally sucks. One way I managed to alleviate a bit of it was by doing a placement so I effectively missed the whole of third year at my university, in a trade for working full time. Customer interaction, getting paid, travelling, technically challenging but not ridiculous, had a point to it all(!) I had some distance learning to send back (so a bit like homework, by far the worst part of the course) and a report, which was easy because it was about my work and that was enjoyable. That way, i'm getting a Master's level in 4 years, but i've actually only been at the university for 3, although if the self-study stuff is enough to give up hope on that the BSc courses are sometimes an option, where you're basically taking leave to do the placement (just to get away, get some experience). It's making being back in fourth year a bit grim though. I can't wait until the end. Second year sucked hard though (Chemistry) so i'm going to gather it will probably suck for you if you're not that into it. I think I became a bit numb to it, but it was still painful.

The other option is to drop out and go sign yourself up for a design course of any descript, and restart while you have the funding available. The next year will be frustrating (coming back home, and so on) although if you get a job again you'll probably have some money to go visit people at university and have a bit of fun.

Another perfectly viable option would be to drop out, and leave it for a while. Build a portfolio, build skills, maybe do night classes if there's anything around, look into business stuff - just go back to ticking over, with a happy day to day. While you're still enjoying being out in the real world with a job that doesn't involve a degree I wouldn't rush out to change it all. Obviously, the shoe shop probably isn't leading to too many greater places, but you may well stumble across something with more opportunity (customer service roles? larger companies have reasonable progession/opportunities to change path and move).
First up, if you think you won't finish the degree or will want to do a different degree resign from the course asap. You might even be within the 28 day cooling off period of fee payment and able to have the funds returned to SFE and only leave you with admin fees and a tiny bit of maintenance to repay. If you finish first year and then want to do a differentt degree you most likely will not be eligible for student finiance and at 9k a year now that's going to be a problem.

If you know you want to do design now you could transfer (do you have a portfolio? You would need one). I think this has to happen before the end of semester one or you would have to wait until next year. Talk to your uni, see what options you have. But do not leave things to become clear because it will start becoming an expensive mistake rather than just a personal dilemma.
Thanks for reading through all that and the quick replies :smile:

I don't see myself finishing the course or having a career that's physics related. I thought that even if I didn't like it at least I'd have a good, solid qualification at the end of it all but if it's not related to what I want to do then what good is it?

Nymthae, can I ask why you've stuck at it for all this time if you're not enjoying it?

I just think that I'm confused at the minute , I don't see the shoe shop as a career at all but it earned me good money and I still have a contract there so if I do leave at least i'll have somewhere to go. I think the business idea is a bit random and probably isn't going to happen. But if I ever did do that it would be easier to start it up whilst I was doing something else, either a degree or working, but doing physics I have so many contact hours and work to be getting on with, I don't think I'd have time for anything other than study.

I think that maybe some sort of design course is the way forwards but I don't want to rush anything. I have a portfolio but it is relatively small so maybe the best idea would be to take a year out and build up a portfolio and think about what I want. I got BBC at Alevel with a couple of ASlevels so I have the right amount of tariff points to get on a course, its just a case of whether or not the portfolio would be good enough.

I'm going to talk with my tutor on Monday and see what he says and I think my parents will be pretty understanding of it all. There's also a Student Support Service I'm thinking of emailing to see if they've got any advice for me as well.
Hey mate

Iv'e been at uni about 5 weeks now myself, and I'm pretty certain the course isn't right for me as well as the whole uni lifestyle.

Ive taken a Music tech course and so far there has been no tech whatsoever. Its been like doing music GCSE!

Like you I had a job in retail part time for a year and a half (while I was in college) which I really enjoyed and had great colleagues too. At the end of the day though, you are there for a course and if thats not right for you then I wouldn't put myself through 4 years of something i hated.

I think I will give it another week and then go home and discuss at the with my mum.

Maybe you should give it another couple of weeks as you may feel differently later on? However at the end of the day its your decision.

Personally I am sure I will be dropping out, returning to my old retail job full time, and then applying to a very good quality music academy closer to home next september (which I will be commuting to).

All the best mate
If you're having serious doubts already then go and talk to your tutor and have a think.

I think you should give it more time, realise that not all teachers are like your school ones, lecturers are much more enthusiastic about the subject and their enthusiasm becomes yours too you'll find :smile:
Sorry to hear about your music course, though if I'm honest I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one feeling like this.

I'm going to talk to my tutor and give it another couple of weeks anyway to see how things go and whether the course does get any better because at the minute it's not what I was expecting it to be.

The teacher/lecturer enthusiasm is, in a way, making me think about this more because my design teachers weren't enthusiastic at all but my physics teacher was, so I think that swayed my decision a lot. However at University design lecturers would be way more enthusiastic and engaging so would make it a lot more interesting. I can see how enthusiastic the physics lecturers are here, I'm just not sure I feel the same way...
Hey, you're in the same boat as me! Are you thinking of re applying again for next year to the same uni or a different one? I've already swapped courses though. It's your decision and no one elses, obviously inform your parents but it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
Original post by idelaghetto
Hey, you're in the same boat as me! Are you thinking of re applying again for next year to the same uni or a different one? I've already swapped courses though. It's your decision and no one elses, obviously inform your parents but it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

What have you swapped from/to. I love this university but they don't offer design courses so I wouldn't be able to swap over. I'd probably wait until next year now and do some work experience so that I know I'm definitely making the right choice.
Reply 9

I do enjoy it, to an extent, sometimes, maybe :rolleyes: the subject is cool, and the lab stuff became really good during second year. My personal issue is more disenchantment with academia - it always has been. I couldn't wait to get out of school because of the lack of independence. College wasn't much better, just wanted to be at university, and now i'm here i've had enough of it. I love things that keep my brain ticking over, but i'm just sick of being held to ransom by having deadlines all the time (work-life balance and all that), or the need to pointlessly cram information that isn't helpful. I'm in my fourth year now though - no point giving up now! I do want to work in the industry, so for me it's a necessity, but in your case it doesn't look like it holds much benefit. My year out was phenomenal because I got to learn, and do something with a "point" to it so I know what my goal is, and there's no pointless exam at the end, it's just a kind of frustrating route there.

I think building yourself a portfolio and working things out sounds like a good plan :smile: it's always difficult to know if you're making the right decision at the time, but it's not going to be a wrong one if you're not enjoying / no point to what you're doing.
What have you swapped from/to. I love this university but they don't offer design courses so I wouldn't be able to swap over. I'd probably wait until next year now and do some work experience so that I know I'm definitely making the right choice.

I've swapped from Economics to Accounting and finance :smile: I'm not a massive fan of my uni and they only started doing the course this year, so it's not as reputable as other Universities (for now) :/ I was thinking of withdrawing and re applying for next September whilst working and gaining some work experience too! Just not sure if i should drop out or not :frown:
I've swapped from Economics to Accounting and finance :smile: I'm not a massive fan of my uni and they only started doing the course this year, so it's not as reputable as other Universities (for now) :/ I was thinking of withdrawing and re applying for next September whilst working and gaining some work experience too! Just not sure if i should drop out or not :frown:

If you are not enjoying it and cannot see yourself doing that for 3/4 years then theres no point wasting time doing something which is not making you happy.

I'm thinking that I'll give it another couple of weeks and see how it goes and then maybe drop out, perhaps you could do the same? I don't think it's worth doing something if you're not enjoying it :/
I'm thinking that I'll give it another couple of weeks and see how it goes and then maybe drop out, perhaps you could do the same? I don't think it's worth doing something if you're not enjoying it :/

It's not the course, it's just i really homesick and i'm not ready yet! The course is a new one but i think i'll be better off being closer to home and prepping for next September at a Uni where the course has already established a good reputation. I've already missed two weeks of the course and my heart is saying to go, so i don't see the point in staying any longer :redface:
It's not the course, it's just i really homesick and i'm not ready yet! The course is a new one but i think i'll be better off being closer to home and prepping for next September at a Uni where the course has already established a good reputation. I've already missed two weeks of the course and my heart is saying to go, so i don't see the point in staying any longer :redface:

I've heard it can take up to Christmas for some people to settle but I know where you're coming from because that's how I felt for the first week. I can't make your decision for you but I'd still say wait it out another couple of weeks just incase. Though by the sounds of it the course at home may be more recognised by employers etc and you'll be more likely to know what to expect on it as well. I guess it's just about weighing up the pros and cons. :smile:
I've heard it can take up to Christmas for some people to settle but I know where you're coming from because that's how I felt for the first week. I can't make your decision for you but I'd still say wait it out another couple of weeks just incase. Though by the sounds of it the course at home may be more recognised by employers etc and you'll be more likely to know what to expect on it as well. I guess it's just about weighing up the pros and cons. :smile:

Yeah i've been emailing uni's about transferring into the second year or reapplying and starting again from the beginning. I've decided to stay for a year since SFE are very horrible and expect you to be able to pay everything back straight away! :frown:
Yeah i've been emailing uni's about transferring into the second year or reapplying and starting again from the beginning. I've decided to stay for a year since SFE are very horrible and expect you to be able to pay everything back straight away! :frown:

They do? Seriously? That's ridiculous!
I hope you manage to find something that works for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest