The Student Room Group

Male only bursaries.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Green_Pink
I think it'd depend what they were for. If it was for men to encourage them to study degrees leading to female-dominated careers such as nursing or early years teaching, which suffer from a lack of men working in them, then it sounds like a lovely idea to show we can move past traditional gender roles :h:

One of the ideas was for science such as physics and medicine , the latter are funded by the NHS so then this would provide the male students with some money for course related activities. Another was for economics, basically those careers which require particularly apt minds and ability to learn very quickly. I do not think it really matters what they are for, after all everyone is motivated by money at least in a way (those that deny this are simply liars) and universities are not going to turn down money.
Reply 21
Original post by River85
There are a range of trusts established by individuals, charities and other organisations, providing financial support to a range of priority groups such as women, people with disabilities, immigrants, sons or daughters of certain professions, and so on.

So yes it's possible.

Excellent thank you, you are an actually useful TSR moderator, I did not think such a thing existed.
I think it'd depend what they were for. If it was for men to encourage them to study degrees leading to female-dominated careers such as nursing or early years teaching, which suffer from a lack of men working in them, then it sounds like a lovely idea to show we can move past traditional gender roles :h:

I would rather have 100 of the best people and help them get through, even if they are all men or women. Rather than 50 men and women who aren't as good as the first team. Some people may miss out just because there wasn't enough help/money for them to sustain their place at a uni(males) because women got that extra boost. unfair.
Reply 24

I don't know how many bursaries there are for men or women, but I guess bursaries for the latter outnumber the former.
Reply 26
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
I would rather have 100 of the best people and help them get through, even if they are all men or women. Rather than 50 men and women who aren't as good as the first team. Some people may miss out just because there wasn't enough help/money for them to sustain their place at a uni(males) because women got that extra boost. unfair.

I quite agree.
Inb4iamafedorawearingneckbearedmisogynistic*******.

I am only posting my opinion, so don't get offended by it.
Reply 28
I don't know how many bursaries there are for men or women, but I guess bursaries for the latter outnumber the former.

Most likely, hopefully that can be corrected.
Original post by beriaforfun
One of the ideas was for science such as physics and medicine , the latter are funded by the NHS so then this would provide the male students with some money for course related activities. Another was for economics, basically those careers which require particularly apt minds and ability to learn very quickly. I do not think it really matters what they are for, after all everyone is motivated by money at least in a way (those that deny this are simply liars) and universities are not going to turn down money.

Why would you need a bursury specifically for men in those areas though? Is there any reason you want more men on those courses?

I believe that we should have a funding system for unis where everyone gets the money they need to study, whether their male, female, or any other gender! I agree it should be the best people - but we have to look at whether we accurately select the best people, or if very capable people from one gender or another are put off by stereotypes, cultural expectations, a lack of role models or any other factors.
Reply 30
Why would you need a bursury specifically for men in those areas though? Is there any reason you want more men on those courses?

I believe that we should have a funding system for unis where everyone gets the money they need to study, whether their male, female, or any other gender! I agree it should be the best people - but we have to look at whether we accurately select the best people, or if very capable people from one gender or another are put off by stereotypes, cultural expectations, a lack of role models or any other factors.

To make sure that society gets the keenest minds.
To make sure that society gets the keenest minds.

Uhm... but what if the keenest mind is that of a woman? Not sure I quite get the logic.
Reply 32
Uhm... but what if the keenest mind is that of a woman? Not sure I quite get the logic.

Generally most geniuses (and that is referring to people such as Alan Turing the real peak of intelligence) tend to be male.
Generally most geniuses (and that is referring to people such as Alan Turing the real peak of intelligence) tend to be male.

That might have something to do with centuries of oppression meaning that still today millions of women around the world don't even get a basic education, and are expected to serve men as housewives and nothing more.
Reply 34
That might have something to do with centuries of oppression meaning that still today millions of women around the world don't even get a basic education, and are expected to serve men as housewives and nothing more.

Turing is used as an example for a reason. Women could serve as codebreakers, it was a fair field but nonetheless he rose and shone above them, whereas it is not a fair field today as women in those field are privileged. Women tend to have somewhat of a herd mentality, whereas men tend to be more individualistic, meaning men can go on to make those ultimate strides and so the bursary would help them do this, by allowing them to focus purely on their studies.
One of my friends is interested in endowing a university to provide bursaries to students but he wants to only fund bursaries for male students. I agree with his idea and definitely think more bursaries for male students are a fantastic proposition. Is it possible to agree to fund a university but on the principle that the funding will only go towards male bursaries?

I think if you offer to fund uni and offer bursaries, then it's kinda your decision where you want that money to go.

However, I'm sure your mate whether he's fictional or not will receive plenty of negative responses for this and probably even some death threats from some feminazies. I'd say **** those people and just go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest