The Student Room Group

Higher French 2014/2015

Can't find a higher French discussion for this year so I've made one myself :smile: Feel free to share good "wow" phrases or tips etc.

What is everyone doing for ERV? I'm doing Amèlie - easy enough. If you have any good tips/phrases for ERV, please share.

Also, how far into the course are you? We've done friends and family and moving into town. We've started directed writing and the ERV but we've spent a lot of time on grammar to help the people that are crashing it so I feel as though my class is behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frivolousme
Can't find a higher French discussion for this year so I've made one myself :smile: Feel free to share good "wow" phrases or tips etc.

What is everyone doing for ERV? I'm doing Amèlie - easy enough. If you have any good tips/phrases for ERV, please share.

Also, how far into the course are you? We've done friends and family and moving into town. We've started directed writing and the ERV but we've spent a lot of time on grammar to help the people that are crashing it so I feel as though my class is behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! I'm doing Higher French too! What is ERV? I've never heard of it :colondollar:

I have two teachers so we have finished Friends and Family, half of the town unit and half of the holidays unit. We also do a writing piece every week to help with directed writing and lots and lots of grammar.

I am finding the course a little boring but not too difficult yet. Dreading the speaking though!

Are you doing the new or old higher?
Reply 2
It's the "Extended Reading and Viewing" - you've basically to watch a film and write an essay on it, it's just for a NAB though so pass or fail.

I think we've done two essays so far, plus one directed writing. I think we'll be doing essays every week after the holiday.

I completely agree - finding it reallyyy boring. Weirdly enough, I'm not actually too worried about the speaking. I was fine with it last year, got 30/30 and my teacher said I would have got an A at higher so I'm hoping I'll be able to reuse a lot of it.

We're doing the old one - what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frivolousme
It's the "Extended Reading and Viewing" - you've basically to watch a film and write an essay on it, it's just for a NAB though so pass or fail.

I think we've done two essays so far, plus one directed writing. I think we'll be doing essays every week after the holiday.

I completely agree - finding it reallyyy boring. Weirdly enough, I'm not actually too worried about the speaking. I was fine with it last year, got 30/30 and my teacher said I would have got an A at higher so I'm hoping I'll be able to reuse a lot of it.

We're doing the old one - what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, we're doing the new one so I'm guessing we don't have that NAB because we haven't been told about it or anything. (Did you know they changed it from 'NAB' to 'UASP' or something. It sounds so weird haha)

We're just doing reading, writing and listening each week but no official essays. I trust my teacher though :smile:

I got 30/30 in my speaking last year too but I'm naturally a pretty shy person so I hate it. My teacher is super nice though so if I don't have an examiner I should be fine, fingers crossed!

Last year was interesting and I've always wanted to learn a language, but everything feels very repetitive and kind of irrelevant. It's one of my easiest subjects though (compared to maths ew) so I can't complain too much. And I have my friends in that class so it's sometimes a laugh.

I wish you well in your exam!! No doubt I'll have some questions come prelim time, maybe before if stuff gets more difficult.
Reply 4
Hmm that's weird, I have a friend who is doing the new higher and is still doing the ERV. But I guess you'll be told about it soon enough if you need to do it :smile:

It's not the language I find boring - it is just the topics.. Learning about town vs country is possibly the most boring thing in the history of exams 😂 haha.

Anyway good luck with the rest of the course..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello ! Thought I'd join doing the new Higher here as well :P
My class has started different topics to yours from what I see - since we started the course with employability and now we're finishing future plans & differences in schooling ( I havent got a clue what the topic is called hahah )

As to NABs we already had our first reading NAB. Then around the 14th of Nov we'll have our speaking NAB ( which I am completely dreading :biggrin: - hate those ) As to the speaking our teacher hasnt said anything yet but I guess it'll be soon :P
With the essays we did do quite a few now ? I think I have around 3 or 4 already haha
Original post by guzz6
Hello ! Thought I'd join doing the new Higher here as well :P
My class has started different topics to yours from what I see - since we started the course with employability and now we're finishing future plans & differences in schooling ( I havent got a clue what the topic is called hahah )

As to NABs we already had our first reading NAB. Then around the 14th of Nov we'll have our speaking NAB ( which I am completely dreading :biggrin: - hate those ) As to the speaking our teacher hasnt said anything yet but I guess it'll be soon :P
With the essays we did do quite a few now ? I think I have around 3 or 4 already haha

Hellp people!!

in my school we have finished 3 topics, can't remeber the names but it's like problems with families, future plans and something else I forgot haha!

For each of the 3 topics, we have written 3 essays! There massive, so I'll need to start leaning them soon:/

Also, in class we have been doing listening and lots of grammar!

We need to learn 4 tenses of 1 verb for the start of the week and by like Thursday, we need to have learned another 4 tenses of another verb. Anyone else doing verbs on a weekly basis?

finally, we get reading homework and translation homework every week also.

We we have our first reading and listening NAB around the 12-14th November, sometime as well:/

i really hope hope we don't need to do this - watch a movie and write an essay crap. It's boring and we learn nothing from it.

also, I am dreading the speaking/orals. There such a worrie:frown:
Original post by iamjamiemurray
Hellp people!!

in my school we have finished 3 topics, can't remeber the names but it's like problems with families, future plans and something else I forgot haha!

For each of the 3 topics, we have written 3 essays! There massive, so I'll need to start leaning them soon:/

Also, in class we have been doing listening and lots of grammar!

We need to learn 4 tenses of 1 verb for the start of the week and by like Thursday, we need to have learned another 4 tenses of another verb. Anyone else doing verbs on a weekly basis?

finally, we get reading homework and translation homework every week also.

We we have our first reading and listening NAB around the 12-14th November, sometime as well:/

i really hope hope we don't need to do this - watch a movie and write an essay crap. It's boring and we learn nothing from it.

also, I am dreading the speaking/orals. There such a worrie:frown:

Il faut absolument que vous ecoutiez la radio, ou même regarder la télévision; trouvez des programmes qui vous interessent.
Plus vous écoutez et plus vous entendez la langue française, le moins elle deviendra étrangère.

Bonne chance !

Latest

Trending

Trending