The Student Room Group

Homeschooled and don't know what to really do here...

I haven't taken any GCSE's/IGCSE's (problems at home) but idk what to do now take IGCSE's and then start A-Levels next year or do some IGCSE's&A-Levels now at home?

Some people say GCSE's arent that important (neither are A-Levels really once you get into University) , only for getting into Sixth-Form, but all you really need is 5 at A*-C ( and a C at least in Maths&English.) but others say that they are important because if you apply to Uni for and everyone has A's in their AS and is predicted A*'s their A2 Uni's will look at your GCSE's?

I want to do: Biology,Chemistry&Psychology A-Level and maybe something else.

All i'm doing atm is a part-time BTEC Lv2 Sport at a College near me ( They looked at my articulation and said I can go on a Level2 Course instead of the Level1, which because I have no GCSE's i'm supposed to be on as the Level 1 course is for people with no or less than 4 GCSE's, my friend who a Level1 course last year has only 1 IGCSE: A B in IGCSE English. But ovbs they can't put me on the Level 3 course)

IGCSE's Edexcel&CIE have kept their Winter exams (November for CIE and January for Edexcel) and I was planning to do IGCSE's: Maths&Both English, Human Biology&Biology and Chemistry in January. The rest of my GCSE's are in June (Latin,Travel FSMQ, Commerce, Computer Science and GCSE Psychology).

Also next year the A-Levels are changing and becoming Linear, according to my mum this is better?

Ik I need Maths&English Language so I will deffo do those but I just dk what to do I really do feel behind ( even though i'm different because i'm Homeschooled&SEN) but I just don't know what to do here. Then again its October and if I start any AS now I might just fail because its so late:frown: ...

I'm also looking into Arts Awards ( which are on the UCAS Table, already done a Bronze, need to do a Sliver or Gold) and the DofE.

I was thinking of saving up for Uni, driving lessons, volenteering this year ( because I have special needs I can start my driving lessons at 16 early, idk why SEN kids can take driving lessons earlier than everyone else, madness tbh. just to note the special needs doesn't affect how I do in my studies, My Special Needs are not as bad as High-Functioning Autism/Aspergers, which is why I couldn't go to Special School... I DID have problems and battles at school because of my special needs and since the school wasn't teaching me properly&didn't care if I did or didn't do my Homework because my mum&them argued over my Special Needs I was failing really badly&had no motivation to do anything to do with Education because the school didn't care about me, but sometimes my mum would go over with me the work I did in Class (like Fractions,Times Tables,etc ) and then the next day I would beat everyone on a Test which all teachers&classmates were shocked by lul:O)

Is doing about 8+ IGCSE's now really worth the wait? Should I take a "Gap Year" in that sense and start volenteering, sorting out important stuff early, saving up for Uni,etc?

Also what if I actually do Fail my (I)GCSE's? What then? What direction should I go in?...

I was hoping to read Biological Science,Human Biology or Sports Science at Uni.

But if I fail my IGCSE's where will I be?...
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest