The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ezisola
No chance. Plenty of time at weekends/evenings/holidays for a part time job.

If you are lucky enough to live where there are enough weekend jobs to go around. A lot of employers now are looking for people who can be fully flexible and work during the week. I have been genuinely looking for work everyday which I can fit around my uni hours for around three months, still to no avail.
I agree with the OP. My parents are definately earning more than the cut off but we are still poor if that makes sense. They deffo would not be able to fund me through Uni because we are scraping by now. It is unfair that people with lower income get more but it does make sense.
Wow. There's a lot of heartless people on here. It's not his fault his dad earns over the threshold and for those implying he's lived a life of privilege because his dad earns above the threshold are being unrealistic. The way the system is set up, the very poor and the very rich are cushty - the poor are given larger maintenance loans and grants and the very rich can afford to pay themselves. The people in the middle that earn just over the threshold with other children to support are seriously squeezed.

If I was OP, I'd be more realistic about my options.
1. Find a uni closer to home that you could commute to daily and thus save on living expenses

2. Take a gap year to save

3. Find a part time job to top up loans and grants (easier in theory than in practise)

4. Change course if the more local unis don't offer your preferred course - not ideal

5. Distance learning

6. Go to a uni like Birkbeck that offers full time evening courses so you can work in the daytime

It's not an ideal situation that you're in but I guess what everybody else is trying to say is complaining and commiserating over your lack of government support is both counterproductive and depressing. Fact is, your entitlement isn't going to change so your energy and efforts are better spent trying to find a solution

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you x
I get less than that student loan than that and I work, quite alot actually in a stressful job, which can be stressful as hell during term time, because of my parents income and me and my fiance aren't married yet I get less t h an 3,000 a year. Living in my own home, paying bills, working and uni is almost putting me over the edge, so I can sympathise when people say how much of a pain student finance are. I have been dealing with this **** with them for a while :/
It's fair because some people have no financial assistance whatsoever from their parents, and so have a greater need for financial assistance
My sister goea to uni this year from a house hold of literally £0 income as benefits don't count and she's still struggling to pay her housing fees

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you're saying that poor people should have less university choices just because they'd require a larger loan
The whole point of a student loan is to allow the poor to have the same choices as more well off families
Living at home does drain family finances, especially as you can no longer claim benefits on the student if they attend university
And moving out is a big part of uni - are poor people not allowed to go to better universities even if they have the grades just because it's further away?
Poor people get higher loans because their families have less money, simple as
Less money = not being able to afford uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

I'm in the same position. My maintenance loan messed up due to mistakes on my stepdad's details. Rung Student Finance up like 7 times and contacted them online but in the end I'm getting the minimum which is £3928 I think. I'm not even in the income band for receiving the minimum, but nevermind. To all those people saying you're a moaning rich kid, and I completely disagree with them, I'll tell them the accommodation fees where I'm going are £7171. So that's £3243 to find (just to pay for the accommodation). Plus the cost of a gown (~£50), joining the JCR foe 3 years (£180) and a Freshers' pass and a few drinks in Freshers'. And I haven't even mentioned any societies/sports (I wanted to join the hill walking society) which are complete luxuries now. I am lucky enough to have had a small part-time job so have got some savings to dip into but getting a part-time job is pretty much vital but lots of people have part-time jobs that's true. Rbutton's point was that their money from these was disposable so could be spent on drinks or whatever they pleased so if something happened or they didn't get the job, there would be no panic, whereas for those with lower loans this becomes vital so as to not receive a fine for not paying the full amount every term.

I have every sympathy with you as I know many people whose parents don't see why they should put money towards living costs. Equally being in a 'high income' household with 5 siblings does not offer you the same standard of living as being a single child in a 'low income' household. Often the latter may have a better standard of living because the parent(s) can afford to spend more. It's sheer ignorance and hate on the part of those who try and portray you as a crybaby. You want to work of course. But university really should be about studying not working and with a higher loan of course it could be paid off.

This post is very late but as I'm in a precarious situation and could easily be labelled a lazy, moaning middle-class student I completely identify with you. It's a shame people couldn't be more civil with you on here. You have to cross your fingers and hope the employers are flexible with regard to only working in term time (or pay huge sums extra for living in accommodation over uni holidays :smile:))))) ) and pray that not many students apply for the same job.

All the best and I'd love to hear how you coped.

Original post by Rbutton
Hi,

At College I was told that the student loan isn't means tested at all, only the grants. So I've felt fairly safe in the fact I can afford to pay rent and buy food if I go to Uni next year.

However, this morning I found the Student Finance Calculator and based on my Dad's income I'm entitled to only the minimum student loan (£3,731), which out of all the University's I've looked at would only cover minimum rent at one and that would leave me with on £200 left to live on for the year! However, if I put in my Mum's income then I'd be entitled to a £3,387 Grant and a £4,047 loan.

How is this fair? My Dad has two other children to pay for and far more outgoings so he can't afford to support me whilst I'm at University and I don't live with my Mum, leaving me with no option but to work to pay the rent when I should be studying while other people get grants and loans to pay it all.
Reply 48
Original post by CameronButt
Hi

I'm in the same position. My maintenance loan messed up due to mistakes on my stepdad's details. Rung Student Finance up like 7 times and contacted them online but in the end I'm getting the minimum which is £3928 I think. I'm not even in the income band for receiving the minimum, but nevermind. To all those people saying you're a moaning rich kid, and I completely disagree with them, I'll tell them the accommodation fees where I'm going are £7171. So that's £3243 to find (just to pay for the accommodation). Plus the cost of a gown (~£50), joining the JCR foe 3 years (£180) and a Freshers' pass and a few drinks in Freshers'. And I haven't even mentioned any societies/sports (I wanted to join the hill walking society) which are complete luxuries now. I am lucky enough to have had a small part-time job so have got some savings to dip into but getting a part-time job is pretty much vital but lots of people have part-time jobs that's true. Rbutton's point was that their money from these was disposable so could be spent on drinks or whatever they pleased so if something happened or they didn't get the job, there would be no panic, whereas for those with lower loans this becomes vital so as to not receive a fine for not paying the full amount every term.

I have every sympathy with you as I know many people whose parents don't see why they should put money towards living costs. Equally being in a 'high income' household with 5 siblings does not offer you the same standard of living as being a single child in a 'low income' household. Often the latter may have a better standard of living because the parent(s) can afford to spend more. It's sheer ignorance and hate on the part of those who try and portray you as a crybaby. You want to work of course. But university really should be about studying not working and with a higher loan of course it could be paid off.

This post is very late but as I'm in a precarious situation and could easily be labelled a lazy, moaning middle-class student I completely identify with you. It's a shame people couldn't be more civil with you on here. You have to cross your fingers and hope the employers are flexible with regard to only working in term time (or pay huge sums extra for living in accommodation over uni holidays :smile:))))) ) and pray that not many students apply for the same job.

All the best and I'd love to hear how you coped.

It's your family's fault. They could have saved or had fewer children.
An example of a rude TSR user again :') The point is that the number of siblings you have is not your choice yet in some respects you (or RButton) are/is being punished for that. Typical response would be: working class kids had life like that throughout school so deal with it - but consider pupil premium which covers school trips, meals and of course there's child benefits (everyone always forgets benefits in that argument?)

I think positives may be found for Rbutton through coping financially at university of course as often being forced into jobs through necessity is brilliant but really sympathies ought to be extended not sarky comments from people who won't struggle to live during a period in their life when they aren't really supposed to seek employment. (The top unis look down on it as it distracts people from the course)

Original post by usualsuspects
It's your family's fault. They could have saved or had fewer children.
Reply 50
Original post by CameronButt
An example of a rude TSR user again :':wink: The point is that the number of siblings you have is not your choice yet in some respects you (or RButton) are/is being punished for that. Typical response would be: working class kids had life like that throughout school so deal with it - but consider pupil premium which covers school trips, meals and of course there's child benefits (everyone always forgets benefits in that argument?)

I think positives may be found for Rbutton through coping financially at university of course as often being forced into jobs through necessity is brilliant but really sympathies ought to be extended not sarky comments from people who won't struggle to live during a period in their life when they aren't really supposed to seek employment. (The top unis look down on it as it distracts people from the course)

Saying it's your family's fault, I agreed with you that you have done nothing wrong.
Ideally, SF should take into consideration siblings and the law should force parents to support children at uni. However, SF was meant as support for low-income families, not for everyone. If the system works (the debt is repaid and taxpayers don't have to bail out too many students) then it should definitely be extended to help everyone, as long as no further taxes are required.
Please check thread date before posting. Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending