The Student Room Group

Why is Nandos so overrated?

Some people seem to think the absolute world of Nandos. Like they put pictures on Facebook, Instagram etc of their "cheeky Nandos". Even some famous people do it.

But why?

I experienced my first ever Nandos a few weeks back. I didn't think it was anything special. It's so weird too. It's like a McDonalds combined with Pizza Hut (the ice cream machine) and a delivery service. I just didn't get the point of going up to order food at what looked just like the tills (and service) at McDonalds, for it to then be brought out about 2 minutes later by someone. I had their "butterfly burger"... why it was called a butterfly burger I do not know, but it didn't even taste nice. I only had that and a drink and it cost like £12!!

I wouldn't mind paying £12 for a meal if it was of decent quality, but it didn't taste any better than a KFC and it was more than double the price! It didn't come with any chips or salad either!

Why are people so obsessed with the place? Chicken is just chicken!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2scotty
Some people seem to think the absolute world of Nandos. Like they put pictures on Facebook, Instagram etc of their "cheeky Nandos". Even some famous people do it.

But why?

I experienced my first ever Nandos a few weeks back. I didn't think it was anything special. It's so weird too. It's like a McDonalds combined with Pizza Hut (the ice cream machine) and a delivery service. I just didn't get the point of going up to order food at what looked just like the tills (and service) at McDonalds, for it to then be brought out about 2 minutes later by someone. I had their "butterfly burger"... why it was called a butterfly burger I do not know, but it didn't even taste nice. I only had that and a drink and it cost like £12!!

I wouldn't mind paying £12 for a meal if it was of decent quality, but it didn't taste any better than a KFC and it was more than double the price! It didn't come with any chips or salad either!

Why are people so obsessed with the place? Chicken is just chicken!

Because it's a butterflied chicken breast in a burger bun?

Some like it some don't. I like it personally, it's a bit nicer than going for a KFC or Maccies, the chicken can be firey as hell if you like it like that and I get 20% off anyway.
Reply 2
Nando's was originally very very cheap. Then about 10 years back the prices ramped up enormously - possibly this was part of a marketing ploy to get people to like it, or possibly they were losing money hand over fist.

I think originally, it was something like £5.80 for a pitta / wrap / 1/4 chicken with chips and the unlimited drinks
It's because it's more sophisticated than going to a place like McDonalds, Burger King or KFC. If you're in an actual restaurant like Nando's with friends having a good time then it's definitely worth the extra cost. Nobody thinks of the other three in that way. They're seen as fast food places for people to eat at as opposed to actual restaurants. It's all about perception. Having said that, whilst Nando's is okay, I would much rather go to a more up market restaurant and have a massive steak.
Original post by Black Hippy
It's because it's more sophisticated than going to a place like McDonalds, Burger King or KFC. If you're in an actual restaurant like Nando's with friends having a good time then it's definitely worth the extra cost. Nobody thinks of the other three in that way. They're seen as fast food places for people to eat at as opposed to actual restaurants. It's all about perception. Having said that, whilst Nando's is okay, I would much rather go to a more up market restaurant and have a massive steak.

Exactly. That's what I'm on about. Why pay £10 for some disgusting burger, when you can go to a much better restaurant and still have fun for half the price?
Original post by moonkatt

Some like it some don't. I like it personally, it's a bit nicer than going for a KFC or Maccies, the chicken can be firey as hell if you like it like that and I get 20% off anyway.

Original post by Clip
Nando's was originally very very cheap. Then about 10 years back the prices ramped up enormously - possibly this was part of a marketing ploy to get people to like it, or possibly they were losing money hand over fist.

I think originally, it was something like £5.80 for a pitta / wrap / 1/4 chicken with chips and the unlimited drinks

What I'm on about... Why pay £10 for some disgusting burger (which didn't even look like a butterfly... it was just a normal burger!!), when you can go to a much better restaurant and still have fun for half the price?
Reply 6
Original post by 2scotty
What I'm on about... Why pay £10 for some disgusting burger (which didn't even look like a butterfly... it was just a normal burger!!), when you can go to a much better restaurant and still have fun for half the price?

Well, I'm no super fan of Nando's or anything, but if people like it then it's up to them.
Its KFC with beer and wine. British people like recognised chains and it leaves good restaurants with space for people witn taste buds. Can't see the problem.
I get 20% off anyway.

NHS discount? Same :cool:

God I love Nando's. It's so good. It's nothing like KFC or McDonald's, none of it is deep fried, battered or in bread crumbs??

Roosters is also amazing and cheaper.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Because it tastes good? Honestly, I'm not a HUGE fan (only been a couple of times) but the chicken has a unique taste which I haven't found replicated anywhere else - other places that sell peri peri as part of their menu just aren't the same. Interestingly, most people I know who haven't liked it got the lemon and herb chicken, which I personally think is horrible. It is overpriced for what it is, though. In South Africa and Dubai Nandos is a fast food chain, served in paper bags/boxes like KFC with more reasonable prices, which suits the product much better.

Also, although I haven't tried them, Nandos seems to have a good range of vegetarian options!
Original post by Kathiye
Because it tastes good? Honestly, I'm not a HUGE fan (only been a couple of times) but the chicken has a unique taste which I haven't found replicated anywhere else - other places that sell peri peri as part of their menu just aren't the same. Interestingly, most people I know who haven't liked it got the lemon and herb chicken, which I personally think is horrible. It is overpriced for what it is, though. In South Africa and Dubai Nandos is a fast food chain, served in paper bags/boxes like KFC with more reasonable prices, which suits the product much better.

Also, although I haven't tried them, Nandos seems to have a good range of vegetarian options!

There's a few places pop up round here that do peri peri chicken as their main product but there nothing like Nandos, they're a lot cheaper but the food's nowhere near as spicy.
Reply 11
I just had some; presentation wise was OK; other than that ... bleh : /
Because it's the only place my black friends who have jobs will go with me.
If all you have to compare it to is Mcdonalds or KFC, then I can see why Nando's might seems classy.

You just have to assume that Nando's fans have never actually been in an actual restaurant or half-decent pub.

HA! Point proven!
My family love Nandos! It's the family's favourite restaurant. In my opinion Nando's is delicious, but it is expensive. However the Peri Peri Chicken they do, no other has ever met, it is unique and absolutely delicious! Which why people probably go there.

Also there is a perception I think that because the prices are higher than the usual Burger at KFC or Mcdonalds and as its a restaurant people believe it's higher quality and much better.
(edited 9 years ago)
I like their food and it's more of a place to dine and talk than other fast food restaurants. :smile:

Edit to add: Yes, I occasionally eat out in places other than fast food or restaurant chains.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
"hipsters"
In the real world I don't think it is overrated, because most people wouldn't eat there if you paid them. Its just that naïve teenagers are overrepresented on TSR and we all know that teenagers love their crappy fast food. Don't worry, most of them will have grown out of it by the time they get to uni.
Reply 19
Original post by Huskaris
Because it's the only place my black friends who have jobs will go with me.

Woooow :K:

Quick Reply

Latest