The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the internet in halls stop you from downloading music unless you are paying for the music!! it sucks!!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
YA!
its really ****ing irritating duno what to do!
Reply 3
Limewire AND torrents aren't working. I've tried messing with my firewall too with no luck. It's driving me crazy! I thought even though I won't have TV til October I'll at least be able to download my shows.

I missed Lost and am going t miss it next week too.
Reply 4
get Ares, but make sure you get the free version. it worked last year
Reply 5
P2P doesn't work in the halls, you'll have to find a decent direct download site.
Reply 6
or use irc if you're savvy with that
Ares works (Google for Ares Galaxy), torrents don't.
Reply 8
Ares isn't connecting for me.
That was the only software we got to work in Oxley last year, they might have changed it since then though.
Reply 10
So is Ares not working then?

With music you can download from upload sites like Sendspace. There's lots of communities on Livejournal that share music with sites like that so you souldn't have a problem.
Simple solution:

Use Mytunes.
Pay for downloading music? If I pay for music I'm getting the CD. Plus, iTunes is, well... terrible.
^ well said, I can't understand why anyone would pay for iTunes music that not only doesn't physically exist, but is copy-protected with "Digital Rights Management" that just make it harder to own something you've paid for.

As for myTunes, I don't appreciate people hijacking my music and upload speed without my consent.
Well turn your itunes shares off, or password protect it :smile:
1hundredreasons

Hehe. Good reply.
1hundredreasons

Yeah, I did. I just mean the principle, a lot of people wouldn't even realise their music was being accessed and wouldn't think to turn off sharing. I'm all for P2P networks, if you actually know you're participating in it.
Just as well I'm part of a nice direct download music swapping community. :smile:
Reply 18
In terms of not knowing it's being accessed, myTunes isn't the application sharing it, it's able to be shared through iTunes, to listen.. That will affect your upload speed.. The downloading through myTunes is logically no different..

Realistically though if people are using iTunes other than to share music at Uni, it's their own fault - it's a terrible application!!
Chris: true, but myTunes allows you to take a lot of songs in one go, not just play one at a time. As for it being terrible, why? I'm far from an Apple fanboy but I love iTunes for the way it organises my music for me.