The Student Room Group

Can You Study Compu Sci without Maths?

Hi,

I have a problem. A lot of the Unis I'm looking at apply to require Maths at AS, or SL (if you're doing IB) for you to apply for Computer Science.

I'm doing the IBCC, and Maths was not being offered at my school, so I chose Film and Business as my IB subjects, and ICT as my BTEC.

Can I still apply to for Computer Science? It seems like they just want proof that you're at least capable at Maths (Since they say SL Maths is good enough), and I got A in both Maths and Statistics at GCSE. I'm also doing the general SAT.

Would that maybe be enough for me to apply?
Reply 1
Original post by stevieg4817
Hi,

I have a problem. A lot of the Unis I'm looking at apply to require Maths at AS, or SL (if you're doing IB) for you to apply for Computer Science.

I'm doing the IBCC, and Maths was not being offered at my school, so I chose Film and Business as my IB subjects, and ICT as my BTEC.

Can I still apply to for Computer Science? It seems like they just want proof that you're at least capable at Maths (Since they say SL Maths is good enough), and I got A in both Maths and Statistics at GCSE. I'm also doing the general SAT.

The only people who can tell you for sure are the admissions tutors. You'll need to email a few and see what they say. As Maths wasn't offered at your school (evidence that this is the case might be required) they may be willing to consider alternatives, but it's likely to be higher than GCSE level that they'll be looking for.
Hi,

There are plenty that don't require maths. Teeside (280 ucas points), Sheffield Hallam (300), Sunderland (260), Northumbria (320), Manchester metropolitan (240), leeds Beckett (300), Lincoln (300) , Liverpool hope (260) and Liverpool John moores (280)
Reply 3
Original post by Hannahmay01
There are plenty that don't require maths. Teeside (280 ucas points), Sheffield Hallam (300), Sunderland (260), Northumbria (320), Manchester metropolitan (240), leeds Beckett (300), Lincoln (300) , Liverpool hope (260) and Liverpool John moores (280)

I've taken a look at some of the ones you've listed, and they don't have very good employment rates coming out of graduation. I'm currently likely to get a UCAS score of 450, so I was hoping to find Unis with more employment links with better companies.

Thank you though for the list, its certainly something to consider.
I've taken a look at some of the ones you've listed, and they don't have very good employment rates coming out of graduation. I'm currently likely to get a UCAS score of 450, so I was hoping to find Unis with more employment links with better companies.

Thank you though for the list, its certainly something to consider.

They're good as back ups, why not try to get an apprenticeship with an it business?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending