The Student Room Group

Student Finance Repayment - Suspended Studied Help!

Good evening!

I'm hoping somebody here can help. I have looked through different threads for answers but sadly can't find anything that is particular to my case, though this site is really good usually for helping me out.

A little background - I suspended my studies during the third year of my degree course due to illness. This happened in June 2014, but my university decided I could revisit the course from second term (January) as my illness had affected me sufficiently from that time.

I am due to start back in January 2015, so have applied again for student finance. I should be allowed another year as I have not received student finance for a course before I started this degree.

However, I received a letter from SFE stating that I needed to repay two months worth of grant or burseries I had received during the period that I suspended. Of course I suspended at the end of the academic year so had no idea that I would end up suspending my studies and therefore wouldnt need a student loan.

Will I have to pay this money back in full before I can receive another loan? I haven't been working due to my illness and can't get the money from friends or relatives. If I can't get the loan to help with studying, I am afraid that I will not be able to continue, which I really don't want to happen as I have worked really hard to get to a fit state to be able to study again as I really enjoy my course.

Any help would be great, I'm really stressing out!
They may well take it out of any future allocation before giving it to you.
Many people make the mistake of thinking that June is the end of funding. It isn't. In all years except the last one grants are based on 12 months so leaving in June means about a quarter is due back.
Ah I see. My studies on paper suspended from January, even though I actually asked to suspend in June, but I get your point about the time line for pay proceeding after June.
Thanks for your reply!
Original post by balotelli12
They may well take it out of any future allocation before giving it to you.
Many people make the mistake of thinking that June is the end of funding. It isn't. In all years except the last one grants are based on 12 months so leaving in June means about a quarter is due back.

Hi, I'm new to TSR and I don't really know where to ask my questions, so i'm just hoping if you could please help answer them for me?

Can you paying for your tuition fees upfront for one year, then change your 'payment scheme' and instead use the student loans the other years?

Also if you plan to pay your tuition fees upfront, when do you have to pay them, is it in installments?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending