The Student Room Group

Customer Service Call Centre Job - A job for Life?

I've just graduated and have been offered a Customer Service call centre job at one of the Forbes Top 100 companies. Due to getting a 2:2 my options are limited and the pay is only around £10 per hour.

I haven't started yet, but have accepted the offer because it's still better than sitting at home. It's a customer service role, so not as desperate as a sales job.

Do you think, this can be a job for life? Or should I see this as a temporary one while applying for other jobs (which seems very hopeless in my situation).
Reply 1
Original post by muffingg

Do you think, this can be a job for life? Or should I see this as a temporary one while applying for other jobs (which seems very hopeless in my situation).

Dude that's not a job for life lol

It will definitely add something positive to your CV though...and didn't you graduate with a civil engineering degree? Have a look at some job agencies specifically engineering ones and give them your details etc. I'm pretty damn sure you will get matched with a number of relevant jobs.
Reply 2
Original post by a10
Dude that's not a job for life lol

It will definitely add something positive to your CV though...and didn't you graduate with a civil engineering degree? Have a look at some job agencies specifically engineering ones and give them your details etc. I'm pretty damn sure you will get matched with a number of relevant jobs.

To be honest, I'd actually rather work at the Customer Service Role than anything related to Civil Engineering. The more I studied about Civ Eng, the more I found out it wasn't quite for me. Always being out on site, walking around in visibility jackets, helmets and wellies (esp in the UK), no matter how hot or cold (or wet) the weather is and doing stuff on site isn't really something I want to do in life. It'll usually take you several years before you can go into an area that's more of an office work.

No offense to those who do it, but I just find it extremely unfair over someone who studied anything like Finance, IT, Management etc. and who get to sit in air conditioned offices wearing suits and looking good.
(edited 9 years ago)
To be honest, I'd actually rather work at the Customer Service Role than anything related to Civil Engineering. The more I studied about Civ Eng, the more I found out it wasn't quite for me. Always being out on site, walking around in visibility jackets, helmets and wellies (esp in the UK), no matter how hot or cold (or wet) the weather is and doing stuff on site isn't really something I want to do in life. It'll usually take you several years before you can go into an area that's more of an office work.

No offense to those who do it, but I just find it extremely unfair over someone who studied anything like Finance, IT, Management etc. and who get to sit in air conditioned offices wearing suits and looking good.

You can work in finance if you have a mathematical background. If you did engineering then I assume you were good at maths. Why not try accounting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by grassntai
You can work in finance if you have a mathematical background. If you did engineering then I assume you were good at maths. Why not try accounting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's one area I'd be really interested in. I'm actually really strong in Maths with an A at A Levels and Mathematical modules were always my highest scoring ones throughout my degree.

What pathways can I choose to get into Finance without a Finance degree? I'm just unaware of this.
That's one area I'd be really interested in. I'm actually really strong in Maths with an A at A Levels and Mathematical modules were always my highest scoring ones throughout my degree.

What pathways can I choose to get into Finance without a Finance degree? I'm just unaware of this.

You can get into any finance role almost without a relevant degree - finance is very open for a reason - they want people from a diverse range. However, your 2.2 degree could be problematic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by will2348
You can get into any finance role almost without a relevant degree - finance is very open for a reason - they want people from a diverse range. However, your 2.2 degree could be problematic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about roles that don't require degrees? I have an A in A Level Maths. Would that be of any value?
What about roles that don't require degrees? I have an A in A Level Maths. Would that be of any value?

To be blunt (and slightly horrid), almost all roles that I know of require a degree - unless you're going onto a school leaver programme (which I imagine you don't want to do) - you could probably do a Masters and they would overlook your 2.2.
Reply 8

I don't know where you got that perception from but it's definitely not true. Yes they are some jobs which require you to be onsite most the time for example railway engineering BUT the majority of civil engineers actually work in design offices with other teams of engineers and you only have the odd site visit once in a while it just depends what kind of role you choose. Design Engineering & Building Services Engineering is very much office work based 95% of the time.

Other civil engineers decide to go into O&G and be pipeline engineers again this role tends to be mainly office based with some site or international visits to check the pipework lines maybe but its definitely not regular and those sorts of engineers can get salaries like £65k+
Reply 9
Original post by a10
I don't know where you got that perception from but it's definitely not true. Yes they are some jobs which require you to be onsite most the time for example railway engineering BUT the majority of civil engineers actually work in design offices with other teams of engineers and you only have the odd site visit once in a while it just depends what kind of role you choose. Design Engineering & Building Services Engineering is very much office work based 95% of the time.

Other civil engineers decide to go into O&G and be pipeline engineers again this role tends to be mainly office based with some site or international visits to check the pipework lines maybe but its definitely not regular and those sorts of engineers can get salaries like £65k+

I've got this impression because most fields other than design engineers will have the majority of on site work. Whether it is railway, surveying, geotechnical, coastal engineering, project management, or structures related fields that don't include design. Pretty much the only field where you'd be sitting in an office are design one. And usually you'll start working on site for the first few years, which is not the case with most other disciplines.

Based on my research on graduate jobs and what we have been taught in 3 years of engineering degree...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I've got this impression because most fields other than design engineers will have the majority of on site work. Whether it is railway, surveying, geotechnical, coastal engineering, project management, or structures related fields that don't include design.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again your information is not entirely true. I suggest you watch some youtube videos of different civil engineering jobs in different industries. You will find most are office based and only require very occasional site visits.

It just depends on what job and what industry really.
Reply 11
Original post by a10
Again your information is not entirely true. I suggest you watch some youtube videos of different civil engineering jobs in different industries. You will find most are office based and only require very occasional site visits.

It just depends on what job and what industry really.

I don't know if we have different definitions for civil engineering or what's happening here. But I have indeed looked at a lot of job description and most are site based.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm I currently work in a customer service call centre, and I don't think I'd want to work there full time for the rest of my life! I wouldn't mind it part time though.

It can be very tough and people can be really mean to you, but you do get some absolutely lovely people that make your day!

It is better than sitting at home! You'll get some good skills too from it and some good experience.
Reply 13
No as I was part of a campaign to shut our local one down.
Reply 14
Original post by pro-anus
No as I was part of a campaign to shut our local one down.

What was the reason for trying to shut it down?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Hi

Next summer I will graduate with a petroleum engineering degree and I'm looking to continue my studies. Apart from petroleum engineering, refinery engineering etc. what Masters degrees would I be able to apply for with a petroleum engineering degree? I have an interest in pipeline engineering but I don't it is possible for me to do this MSc due to my petroleum background.

Cheers
Depends on the person. For some, yes, they'd be happy with that as a 'job for life' (not that there are many jobs for life these days). It's dependent on your ambitions and happiness to be quite honest. There are people who do jobs that pay a lot less than yours and they do it their entire lives. Also 'only' £10 an hour? Count your blessings, it could be much worse. I graduated with a 2.1 and I'm on less than that - I'm not the only one either.

If you want more, work for more. If you're happy where you are, see where it takes you. It's not up to anyone else what job you should be doing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending