The Student Room Group

How do top universities view Social and Cultural Anthropology?

How do top universities (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL etc.) view Social and Cultural Anthropology HL and how similar/what are the differences between this subject and History HL?
Reply 1
Original post by Sophie243
How do top universities (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL etc.) view Social and Cultural Anthropology HL and how similar/what are the differences between this subject and History HL?

Social and cultural anthropology is a rare IB course as it isn't offered by many school (but my school offers it). I'm assuming that it reputation isn't as solid as history. I'd say it's one of the 'softer' subjects - by softer I'm not implying that it's easy (its actually quite hard) it's just most universities wouldn't see it as a solid academic subjects (like maths, history, chemistry etc).

If you're choosing between them, I'd go for history if you're main aim is to get into oxbridge and the likes. However, if you're considering taking it as a standard level subject then by all means do so as British universities don't really care about your SL subjects - their main purpose is to boost your overall score.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending