The Student Room Group

M1 Problem

Two bricks P and Q each of mass 5kg, are connected by a light inextensible string. Brick P is held at rest and Q hangs freely, vertically below P. A force of 200N is then applied vertically upwards to P causing it to accelerate at 1.2ms^-2. Assuming there is a resistance to the motion of each of the bricks f magnitude RN, find

a) The Value of R
b) The tension in the string connecting the bricks.

For part a I've drawn the diagram and used
R=ma+mg
R=(5*1.2)+(5*9.8)
Which gave me 55N, however, the book states that answer is 45N

Here is my diagram

Any ideas on what I have done wrong? :smile:
Thank you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Xenosa
Two bricks P and Q each of mass 5kg, are connected by a light inextensible string. Brick P is held at rest and Q hangs freely, vertically below P. A force of 200N is then applied vertically upwards to P causing it to accelerate at 1.2ms^-2. Assuming there is a resistance to the motion of each of the bricks f magnitude RN, find

a) The Value of R
b) The tension in the string connecting the bricks.

For part a I've drawn the diagram and used
R=ma+mg
R=(5*1.2)+(5*9.8)
Which gave me 55N, however, the book states that answer is 45N

Here is my diagram

Thank you!

Moved to Maths section :smile:
Original post by Xenosa

Thank you!

Two things:

There is a resistance of RN to each brick - i.e. 2R N in total.

For part a) you need to treat the two masses as one. The 200N force although applied to P, causes both P and Q to accelerate at the same velocity, as they're joined by a taut string.
Reply 3
In problems like this, involving composites of more than one object, it's important to be clear what you are drawing a free body diagram of. You can choose to analyse the motion of (and draw a free body diagram of) either the upper mass, the lower mass, or the whole system.

Note that if you choose to apply Newton's second law to the whole system, then the resistance force will be 2R2R.

Another note: to see why it's a good idea to apply Newton's second law to the whole system, note that in this case the Tension forces are internal to the system (forces between parts of the system), and thus cancel - whereas the resistance forces are not internal.
Reply 4
Original post by ghostwalker
Two things:

There is a resistance of RN to each brick - i.e. 2R N in total.

For part a) you need to treat the two masses as one. The 200N force although applied to P, causes both P and Q to accelerate at the same velocity, as they're joined by a taut string.

So 2R = (5*1.2) + (5*9.8) = 55N
R = 27.5N?
Original post by Xenosa
So 2R = (5*1.2) + (5*9.8) = 55N
R = 27.5N?

The combined mass is not 5 kg.

And what happened to the 200N force?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest