The Student Room Group

IB TOK presentation Help?!

My name is greg, in 2 weeks time i have to present my TOK presentation in which i want to get the best grade possible.

My topic/title is : To what extent can we accurately diagnose mental ilness.

Can someone please help me on the structure and content of this?

I am unsure how to make it/present it.

Any help is great full accepted.

Many thanks
Greg
Original post by gregwelton
My name is greg, in 2 weeks time i have to present my TOK presentation in which i want to get the best grade possible.

Many thanks
Greg

Bumped this for you :smile:

Many thanks
Greg

Hi, I got 20/20 on my ToK presentation, which I prepared the day before. I think your KI has some potential. For example, we don't know if schizophrenics are seeing the fake things or they are seeing the actual true image of the world... so on.
However, I think that there are better questions out there. The whole point of ToK presentation, i think, is to show how deeply you can think about a topic. So, I would recommend changing the question to something you can explore very deeply on.
Mine was to what extent does the use of jargon limit the spread of knowledge.
I talked about how jargon limits the spread of knowledge. But then, I talked about how the complexity of the world is what creates jargon, and that jargon is a way for us to overcome the complexity of the world.
Something like this really gets the job done.

Now, connecting this back to your topic, maybe change your ki to something like, to what extent does our perception limit the extraction of knowledge.
First, you can talk about how difficult it is to diagnose mental illness, because it is based mainly on senses. Or you can talk about optical illusions to show how our perceptions can be fake.
This is very superficial and you will not score well just by talking about the things above. Let's go further.
Our senses are a great source of knowledge. When we smell organic compounds like alcohol, carboxylic acid (vinegar), and esters, we can distinguish them easily. If you wanted to know it using chemical methods, you need to use titration, chemical reactions, or even mass spectrometers.
That is true for taste, vision, and so on. Talk about how senses are very important to us, and that should score higher, i think.

Many thanks
Greg

Hi, I got 20/20 on my ToK presentation, which I prepared the day before. I think your KI has some potential. For example, we don't know if schizophrenics are seeing the fake things or they are seeing the actual true image of the world... so on.
However, I think that there are better questions out there. The whole point of ToK presentation, i think, is to show how deeply you can think about a topic. So, I would recommend changing the question to something you can explore very deeply on.
Mine was to what extent does the use of jargon limit the spread of knowledge.
I talked about how jargon limits the spread of knowledge. But then, I talked about how the complexity of the world is what creates jargon, and that jargon is a way for us to overcome the complexity of the world.
Something like this really gets the job done.

Now, connecting this back to your topic, maybe change your ki to something like, to what extent does our perception limit the extraction of knowledge.
First, you can talk about how difficult it is to diagnose mental illness, because it is based mainly on senses. Or you can talk about optical illusions to show how our perceptions can be fake.
This is very superficial and you will not score well just by talking about the things above. Let's go further.
Our senses are a great source of knowledge. When we smell organic compounds like alcohol, carboxylic acid (vinegar), and esters, we can distinguish them easily. If you wanted to know it using chemical methods, you need to use titration, chemical reactions, or even mass spectrometers.
That is true for taste, vision, and so on. Talk about how senses are very important to us, and that should score higher, i think.
Reply 4
I completely agree with the above poster. You're KI should be a bit more general, as they suggest, and then mental illness specifically can be you're 'Real Life Situation'. You need to examine your KI in the context of your real life situation, reach a conclusion, and then extend that conclusion to see if it applies in other situations, such as the chemical one the above poster suggests.
Just keep your eye on the marking criteria the whole time, make sure you include everything you need to to get in that top band.
Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending