The Student Room Group

Does anyone else think there is a lot of predicted grade inflation going on?

I'm getting annoyed with all the apparent predicted grade inflation being mentioned on this site. I have seen BBCC being predicted A*A*A to mention just one. My school refuse to budge. I got AABB and am being predicted A* (283 ums), A (265), B (236), yet universities are likely to give the above example offers over me?! I know that they need to make the grades to get in, tbh I'm not that concerned about whether they make their offers or not. What I am concerned about is that so many over optimistic predictions will make my application look crap and I might not get any offers.

Scroll to see replies

I got predicted AAB for A*AA you will be fine, Although you might be predicted lower Universities do check if predicted grades are inline with the actual. the BBCC to A*A*A would most likely not get an offer.
Reply 2
Original post by Mathlover123
I got predicted AAB for A*AA you will be fine, Although you might be predicted lower Universities do check if predicted grades are inline with the actual. the BBCC to A*A*A would most likely not get an offer.

Thanks :smile: I hope so! My problem is that my school doesn't cash in so there is no proof :frown:
Oh yeah the system change, that does make it a bit harder. To be honest I feel sorry for the universities which could ultimately take on people who do not have the ability to be there.
That's annoying and I agree people are lucky with what they're being predicted.

I think you should be predicted at least A*AA with potentially A*A*A
They always over predict, however I was under predicted BBB and in the end got AAB. Exams are becoming harder and grade boundaries aren't changing, apply to universities that are relevant for your predicted grades and not lower because in the end if you don't achieve the grades needed you can always negotiate or apply through clearing!
Reply 6
Original post by L'Evil Fish
That's annoying and I agree people are lucky with what they're being predicted.

I think you should be predicted at least A*AA with potentially A*A*A

Thanks you too :smile:

Overall I'm happy with my predicted grades, although I will work my butt off to get that B to an A. My problem is with the predicted grades of others.
Reply 7
I got 3 fairly high Bs (and a C) at AS and I'm predicted AAA for A2 which is what I want but I'm now worried that Universities won't consider me as they'll think it's just grade inflation from my school!
Someone I know got ABC (at AS), and is predicted A*AA
Reply 9
Unis know that schools overpredict. They're not stupid. They know that someone with a C is very unlikely to improve to an A, so the example mentioned wouldn't get any offers.
Reply 10
Original post by Juno
Unis know that schools overpredict. They're not stupid. They know that someone with a C is very unlikely to improve to an A, so the example mentioned wouldn't get any offers.

Yeh, ah, but some schools don't over predict, or they will in some subjects and not in others. My school seems fine with inflating arts subjects but not maths & sciences. The whole system seems wrong. As I said, my problem is that my school don't cash in so I'm looking like an over predicted candidate potentially. Iyswim
Yeah it really annoys me. It is unfair as unis use predicted grades very heavily, even though they are so subjective. Some schools (like mine) will only predict you what you got at AS, some will predict one grade above and some will predict what they student wants. Massive flaw in the system in my opinion.
Original post by Izzydizzy
I'm getting annoyed with all the apparent predicted grade inflation being mentioned on this site. I have seen BBCC being predicted A*A*A to mention just one. My school refuse to budge. I got AABB and am being predicted A* (283 ums), A (265), B (236), yet universities are likely to give the above example offers over me?! I know that they need to make the grades to get in, tbh I'm not that concerned about whether they make their offers or not. What I am concerned about is that so many over optimistic predictions will make my application look crap and I might not get any offers.

Argh it's so annoying! I got AAAA at AS and all A*s at GCSE, and I was predicted AAA at A2. I actually had to ask my Geography teacher to move my prediction up because I not only need it to apply to Durham but I do think I'm capable of achieving it (I got 92% UMS at AS).

Yet I've seen so many people on here being predicted A* from a B at AS and A from a C. It's so annoying. It's the same case with some of my friends, who overall got three/four grades lower at me at AS, yet have the same A2 predictions. Gr.

I feel your pain.
It's definitely weird to see such high predictions without retake. I got ABB in the AS I'm continuing to A2, and sent off AAB predictions to UCAS (the school's system tried to predict me BCC).

Some schools are definitely over-predicting. I actually had to argue with my head of year as he was determined to predict me A*AB (the A* being a B at AS).
I agree. Every school has their own policy which shouldn't be the case but what I found extremely irritating was my schools discrepancy between applying their rules to certain students over others.
I was refused an A* prediction for History and English despite achieving over 95% whilst others with lower got given one
Reply 15
my school asks me what i want my predicted grades to be,

I got AABB at AS so predicted myself A*AA :smile: because i honestly feel that i can achieve those. I could of predicted 3A*s but come on lets be realistic :')

Whats annoying is that other students will predict unrealistic grades. I heard a guy say he should be predicted A*A*A when he received cccb at AS :/
When I did my UCAS, my teachers just asked me what grade I needed for uni :dontknow:
Well, it is subjective to an extent. Some students who got a C at AS were getting As all year, had a bad day, and are retaking that module, so can realistically get an A. For others, they'll be lucky to stay at that C. It depends on the student.

Our school tends to predict a grade up, since it's the second year of sixth form, you're into the swing of things and will learn from the mistakes you made at AS. Although BBBC predicted AAA does seem a little weird to me. Although if the Bs were really high Bs...
Original post by izpenguin
Yeah it really annoys me. It is unfair as unis use predicted grades very heavily, even though they are so subjective. Some schools (like mine) will only predict you what you got at AS, some will predict one grade above and some will predict what they student wants. Massive flaw in the system in my opinion.

agreed.

love penguins btw:smile:
i got 3 A and B; predicted A*AAA... so i dunno about inflation!

Quick Reply

Latest