The Student Room Group

The Truth About Psychology?

Of all the subjects I've ever taken while trudging through the education system, Psychology has been one of my favourites. Nonetheless, I've always been extremely hesitant to study it at university because of all the horror stories I've heard in regard to how useless of a degree it is.

It seems like the only way a Psychology degree can be useful is if you get a PHD in it or something, but I'm not sure I would want to do 7 odd years in uni.

I already have my A-Levels with A*AB (and Welsh Bacc), so I can apply for decent uni's i.e. King's College, Birmingham, Bristol e.t.c. Even then though, would the university I go to make a difference? Those uni's are best case scenario too, I may not even get in.

I guess I just want an honest, no frills attached answer to the usefulness of a Psychology degree. Is there any point? I realise I shouldn't base my choice on usefulness, but I can't ignore it either. There are other subjects I think I could like (Politics/International Relations and Business are two front runners), so it's not like I'm sacrificing enjoyment for practicality.

I just need some honest advice, really! Thanks
Reply 1
I have worked with a number of useless managers, but two were very good. Both had a Psychology degree and put it down to that.

I get the impression that it is a subject that may not immediately result in an obvious job, but that will have a positive influence on your adult life both in and out of work.

And there's plenty of jobs out there which ask for a degree but don't care much what it is in.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
The truth about psychology is that it is all in your mind.
Reply 3
Original post by Arkasia
The truth about psychology is that it is all in your mind.
But whose truth? And who put it in your mind, or was it already there?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Simes
But whose truth? And who put it in your mind, or was it already there?

It was kind of a joke, but ok.
Reply 5
Original post by Arkasia
It was kind of a joke, but ok.

Mine too. :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Original post by Simes
Mine too. :rolleyes:

Touche.
Reply 7
Thanks Simes!

I know what you mean, and I agree that there's more to a degree than just the direct subject. I mean, I think all degrees teach you valuable sills. I just worry with Psychology because there is a lot of stigma behind it.
Reply 8
Original post by Dear_Rhian
I just worry with Psychology because there is a lot of stigma behind it.

All degrees have stigma with someone.

Maths? Nerds.
IT? Geeks.
Media Studies? Noddy degree.
Astronomy? Weirdos.
Art? Scroungers.
Humanities? Woolly-headed liberals.
Hard sciences? Tedious egg-heads.
Philosophy? Work-shy alcoholics.
Religion? Get a life.
Economics? Scary loner.
Politics? Scum.
Surfing? Envy. Vocational degrees don't count as qualifications.

Frankly, every subject other than the one I am doing, is rubbish.

And every institution other than the one I am using, is either discredited or elitist.

And everyone with lower grades than mine is thick and higher grades than mine is mentally ill.

The people who think Psychology is pointless are people you don't need to care about anyway.

But then, you knew that. You're doing psychology. ;-)
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending