The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Physics at Durham

HI guys!!

I'm Zui and I'm applying for physics at Durham this year!!

I am quite worried about my application since my AS grade is not that strong. I got a B in my economics due to some language problems (International applicant...But I dropped economics eventually, and my prediction is A*A*A*A with A*s in maths (already achieved), Further Maths and Physics, A in geography.
Is it likely for me to get an offer...? Are AS grades really important??

Many thanks!!!
AS grades are certainly important as they are one of the biggest indicators of academic performance to date. However universities do take predicted grades into account, but you can understand why they can't base offers just from predicted grades (different schools will rank the same progress differently, and they are often inaccurate).

Basically from the sounds of it you have a good chance. From your predicted grades, if you achieved those, you'd definitely be on a par from other Durham students. Also, if your only bad grade at AS was a B in economics, you shouldn't worry too much! They'd be far more concerned with lower grades in Physics and Maths.

Of course, no one on here can predict what will happen as we don't make the offers. Offers are made based on a whole range of factors but from the sounds of it you've got a good chance!

If you have any other questions I'm a third year Physics student at Durham so can probably help!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Zui
OP
Original post by pianofluteftw
AS grades are certainly important as they are one of the biggest indicators of academic performance to date. However universities do take predicted grades into account, but you can understand why they can't base offers just from predicted grades (different schools will rank the same progress differently, and they are often inaccurate).

Basically from the sounds of it you have a good chance. From your predicted grades, if you achieved those, you'd definitely be on a par from other Durham students. Also, if your only bad grade at AS was a B in economics, you shouldn't worry too much! They'd be far more concerned with lower grades in Physics and Maths.

Of course, no one on here can predict what will happen as we don't make the offers. Offers are made based on a whole range of factors but from the sounds of it you've got a good chance!

If you have any other questions I'm a third year Physics student at Durham so can probably help!

THANKS!!! Does Durham ask for UMS????
They didn't in my year, however according to their website they have now started to request UMS marks, although it is not clear if they ask everyone! (See third question)

https://www.dur.ac.uk/physics/undergraduate/faq/
Got an email from them yesterday asking for my UMS in Maths, Physics and Further Maths. So I guess they started this year? I'm applying for Physics too.

Quick Reply

Latest