The Student Room Group

Can I still apply to Uni?

Okay I just need some help here. Basically, I am in year 13 and my results in year 12 were really bad. Biology-C Chemistry-C Maths-D Economics-D. i dropped economics and my predicted grades are now BBD (hoping to get the D in maths moved to a C) I am planning to retake 1 module in Biology and Chemistry and then 2 in Maths. My main problem is is it worth retaking an economics module if I have dropped it. Also I wanted to Medicine (but with my grades, it is clearly not possible). So I was wondering if it makes sense for me to apply for Economics this year at not very good universities as I would have loved to have done it in Edinburgh but their minimum entry requirements are BBB and they probably wont even consider BBC). As I said, apply for economics this year, retake and then if my grades are hopefully AAA next year then wait and re-apply for medicine, or if they are maybe BBB-ABB then apply through clearing for economics at slightly better universities, does this seem do-able or should I just leave everything and apply next year?
Reply 1
Original post by 0h-d3ar

What do you want to do? Are you committed to medicine? because it doesn't really seem like you are that much.

Foundation Year programmes may be your best bet in trying to salvage things from a grade aspect, if you are committed to medicine (what's your work experience like?) - Nottingham's is a widening access type scheme, so if your family background is very good then you're not really a suitable candidate. Places like Manchester wouldn't consider you because you have the right subjects (i.e. theirs is designed to go from arts/irrelevant subjects -> med with good grades). There are a couple of other foundation year programmes, so have a look and see what they require - not necessarily sure they will be suitable, but there may be one.

To me, you seem pretty happy to jump ship for Economics. I don't think Economics is a poor decision though, and is a much more realistic solution than medicine here. There's no point applying somewhere you don't want to go though. Either apply this year and pray they won't instantly reject you for not meeting the predictions, or just apply with grades in hand and take a gap year.

In terms of this year, I doubt you'll get much out of applying (instant rejection from medicine, only viable options at places you may not want to go). In which case, i'd go with the applying next year.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for replying!

See I feel like I am but then there are some aspects that I don't really like and I know that in a career such as medicine, you're going to have to love every aspect and so I feel like I am not as motivated as I should be.
I have done quite a lot of work experience, i work for boots, do volunteering once a week for a year and I shadowed a doctor for a week.

The thing with me applying for economics is that since my grade for economics at as level was quite bad, I feel like universities are going to look at that and maybe think that I am not really suited to do economics at university

Quick Reply

Latest