The Student Room Group

Girlfriend has a baby of her own ?

so I have a girlfriend she is 20.Im nearly 20.we have been together for a long time .now it's the time for her to meet my parents but she has a baby from her previous relationship. My parents will doubt being with this girl as I have to take care of 2 people ,taking care of someone"s kid whose father is a useless for living her . We are also planning To get get enganged. We are planning on having a baby of our own in the future.can somebody give me advise and guidance on what I should do.or if you where in my shoes. Thank you do much means a lot .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
so I have a girlfriend she is 20.Im nearly 20.we have been together for a long time .now it's the time for her to meet my parents but she has a baby from her previous relationship. My parents will doubt being with this girl as I have to take care of 2 people ,taking care of someone"s kid whose father is a useless for living her . We are also planning To get get enganged. We are planning on having a baby of our own in the future.can somebody give me advise and guidance on what I should do.or if you where in my shoes. Thank you do much means a lot .

Bear with me here...

Think of it this way, She won't expect you to completley make her kid your own, but do just that, I guarantee she becomes the most loyal GF you will ever get... So stick with it, It'll mean the world to her and probably the kid too :smile:

As for your parents, It's good they're meeting her, on the other hand, screw em, so they may not have the faith in you, PROVE THEM WRONG! Stick with it, make it your family and shove it in their face... Seriously though, it doesn't matter what they think, you're your own person, can make your own decisions and if they see how serious you're about this girl they won't interfere...

Good for you! You're obviously fond off this girl! Marry her, take her kid in as your own, expand your family and screw anyone who gets in your way...

Goodluck buddy!
Reply 2
Original post by RyRy1998
Bear with me here...

Think of it this way, She won't expect you to completley make her kid your own, but do just that, I guarantee she becomes the most loyal GF you will ever get... So stick with it, It'll mean the world to her and probably the kid too :smile:

As for your parents, It's good they're meeting her, on the other hand, screw em, so they may not have the faith in you, PROVE THEM WRONG! Stick with it, make it your family and shove it in their face... Seriously though, it doesn't matter what they think, you're your own person, can make your own decisions and if they see how serious you're about this girl they won't interfere...

Good for you! You're obviously fond off this girl! Marry her, take her kid in as your own, expand your family and screw anyone who gets in your way...

Goodluck buddy!

Thank you much for the help and positive vibe you brought to me.May you continue helping people ,this world deserve people like you.. At first i thought there was going to be someone giving me abuse over this post but so glad normal people like yourself are out there. Thanks a lot I really appreciate it. Thanks!!!!!!
Reply 3
Alrighty, let me share with you a little anecdote:

​Many years ago, a dear friend of mine T, married a lady S. S had another child from another man, and when T married S, he took in the son as well, J. About 18 months ago, S died, and T to this day continues to look after J​, in addition to his own children. J is now 20.

This was never "supposed" to happen. The son was never supposed to be his child, but to the outside world, he is his child.

I guess the moral of my story is that you should really let the baby have a chance, you may grow to love it.
Reply 4
Thank you much for the help and positive vibe you brought to me.May you continue helping people ,this world deserve people like you.. At first i thought there was going to be someone giving me abuse over this post but so glad normal people like yourself are out there. Thanks a lot I really appreciate it. Thanks!!!!!!

you're certainly wecome mate, It is very rare you will ever get a negative response on here! Hope everything works out for you! Goodluck
Reply 5
Original post by Wesleigh
Alrighty, let me share with you a little anecdote:

​Many years ago, a dear friend of mine T, married a lady S. S had another child from another man, and when T married S, he took in the son as well, J. About 18 months ago, S died, and T to this day continues to look after J​, in addition to his own children. J is now 20.

This was never "supposed" to happen. The son was never supposed to be his child, but to the outside world, he is his child.

I guess the moral of my story is that you should really let the baby have a chance, you may grow to love it.

We have already discussed about moving in so that means I am taking the child too,we will be a happy family.When the child grows up it's gonna up with a black father and the child is white .and when the child is old enough we will both explain what the decision we took .
Reply 6
Original post by RyRy1998
you're certainly wecome mate, It is very rare you will ever get a negative response on here! Hope everything works out for you! Goodluck

We have already discussed about moving in so that means I am taking the child too,we will be a happy family.When the child grows up it's gonna up with a black father and the child is white .and when the child is old enough we will both explain what the decision we took .
Reply 7
Is there anything wrong with this situation?

No not really, it's only wrong if you truly have a problem with it yourself, however, if you truly love this lady and wish to be with her it should be no big deal and you should raise that child like your own. I think personally it will be harder for you because the child is of a different skin colour ( just thinking culturally and how peoples mind operate) still if you love this woman it should not be hard for you to love her child and bring the child up as your own. Only thing is you are both quite young and already dealing with a tough situation, I am sure together you can both do it. Guess the question or problem you may have to deal with is your family rejecting you and her or hers you, once again if you truly love each other and want to be together than this should not stop you. If I was in your situation and I believed in the relationship and both me and the lady worked well together I would stay with her.
Reply 8
Original post by Mancini
Is there anything wrong with this situation?

No not really, it's only wrong if you truly have a problem with it yourself, however, if you truly love this lady and wish to be with her it should be no big deal and you should raise that child like your own. I think personally it will be harder for you because the child is of a different skin colour ( just thinking culturally and how peoples mind operate) still if you love this woman it should not be hard for you to love her child and bring the child up as your own. Only thing is you are both quite young and already dealing with a tough situation, I am sure together you can both do it. Guess the question or problem you may have to deal with is your family rejecting you and her or hers you, once again if you truly love each other and want to be together than this should not stop you. If I was in your situation and I believed in the relationship and both me and the lady worked well together I would stay with her.

Thanks , her parents think it's great the problem is my parents don't know and haven't met her,I'm just worried bout what my parents will think, my parents support me with whatever they have been for a longtime
Ok, I'm just saying this because I want to inject some reality into this situation. It is fantastic that you love this girl, and her baby, but I'm just wondering how much time you have spent with the kid? And if you understand the cost of raising a child?

The only reason I'm bringing all this up is because you are very young, and making a decision like this should be based as much on love as logic. What are you plans? You're going to move in together, but where are you going to get the money to do that? Student loans or a job?

Again it's very noble to want to help raise a child that isn't yours, but such an undertaking needs more than just nobility.
Original post by flatmatetrouble
Ok, I'm just saying this because I want to inject some reality into this situation. It is fantastic that you love this girl, and her baby, but I'm just wondering how much time you have spent with the kid? And if you understand the cost of raising a child?

The only reason I'm bringing all this up is because you are very young, and making a decision like this should be based as much on love as logic. What are you plans? You're going to move in together, but where are you going to get the money to do that? Student loans or a job?

Again it's very noble to want to help raise a child that isn't yours, but such an undertaking needs more than just nobility.

I have a job ,and I'm also scared of the father of the baby who is older than me ,I haven't met him yet, ,and the child knows me very well,,I know how to look after a child. I just hope I get on with the father of the child.,
I think it's admirable that you want to do it, and I don't think you should let it put you off if you really think this can work. It's worked for a hell of a lot of people, so don't think that you're alone in trying to make this work.

Good luck to you, I hope it all works out.
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
I think it's admirable that you want to do it, and I don't think you should let it put you off if you really think this can work. It's worked for a hell of a lot of people, so don't think that you're alone in trying to make this work.

Good luck to you, I hope it all works out.

Thanks I love this person,
Reply 13

I personally really love babies.

Having said that, for a very young person, this is probably a mistake. You're looking at an absolutely enormous commitment in time, money and a lot of imponderables.

Sometimes, your own biological children end up being ungrateful, spoilt wretches - it's nature and neuroscience. The chances of this with a step-child are so much greater.
Original post by Clip
I personally really love babies.

Having said that, for a very young person, this is probably a mistake. You're looking at an absolutely enormous commitment in time, money and a lot of imponderables.

Sometimes, your own biological children end up being ungrateful, spoilt wretches - it's nature and neuroscience. The chances of this with a step-child are so much greater.

Nobody cares what you think ,I don't want negative from people like you,people like you is the reason this world is messed up, of course I will look after all the children equally ,oh don't know me
Reply 15
Nobody cares what you think ,I don't want negative from people like you,people like you is the reason this world is messed up, of course I will look after all the children equally ,oh don't know me

Don't you think it's kind of narrow-minded to make a thread asking for help, but then lashing out at any reply that isn't in line with what you want to hear?

Reasonable people who make some valid points are why the world is messed up? Well damn.

If you want to be a good parent to this child then you seemingly have a lot of maturing to do and pretty quickly because if you don't plan on listening to advice because it's not want you want to hear then life wont go so smoothly.
(edited 9 years ago)
I have a job ,and I'm also scared of the father of the baby who is older than me ,I haven't met him yet, ,and the child knows me very well,,I know how to look after a child. I just hope I get on with the father of the child.,

I'm not asking if you know how to look after a child, I'm talking about do you know how to be a parent? Because that is what you're going to be.

You have a job, does it have any longterm promise? Is it a stable job that you can count on consistently, even when you need to leave early/ show up late because of doctor's appointments, school drop offs etc.? Does the father give any sort of support? Does the father have any problems with you raising his kid?

All I'm saying is that you need to take things slow here, not just for yourself but for that kid too. You need to know you are right with yourself, and that you're ok sticking through a lot of stuff before you make such grandiose commitments, especially when you just became an adult yourself.
Hey when my dad got with my mum, he was your age, my mum had my sister who was 2 years old, my dad married my mum when he was 25, he grew to love my sister like his own and adopted her when she was about 7, my mum walked out on us , and my sister and her kids are still very much part of our lives she never felt like half sister or anything he loves her the same as me and my brother, it can work but only if you want it too.
Original post by vickidc18
Hey when my dad got with my mum, he was your age, my mum had my sister who was 2 years old, my dad married my mum when he was 25, he grew to love my sister like his own and adopted her when she was about 7, my mum walked out on us , and my sister and her kids are still very much part of our lives she never felt like half sister or anything he loves her the same as me and my brother, it can work but only if you want it too.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending