The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Accommodation and student life

I was wondering what student accommodation/life was like in Edinburgh Because it's in the city rather than on a campus? Does it have a good atmosphere and is it all clumped together or spread out?
Reply 1
Original post by alicecb95
I was wondering what student accommodation/life was like in Edinburgh Because it's in the city rather than on a campus? Does it have a good atmosphere and is it all clumped together or spread out?

I'm a current first year, and so far I can say both are great. There is a big range of accommodation, but most of it is very near the campus. I can get to the main campus by walking in about 5-7 minutes, and I know many other people living in different accommodation that can do the same :biggrin:

Student life is great. It is really easy to make friends (especially in accommodation/during freshers week) and the area is wonderful for students - lots of cheap bars, clubs and restaurants. Teviot (the main union building at Edinburgh) is amazing and has atleast 3 different bars, and it always has something going on. Potterrow, another building, has weekly clubnights. There are so many societies and sports teams to join, it is just crazy to have to choose between them all! I am so far really impressed with student life here, it has excelled all of my expectations.

The campus isn't really what you would expect from a city university. Many of my friends in London say they have kind of been left to their own devices and they feel that the university doesn't really provide much in the way of student life - Edinburgh is the total opposite. It has two campuses, one that is more science-based and one that is more for humanities (the main campus, I'd say) but there is a bit of overlap. Both are easily accessible :biggrin: Everything in the city is easy to reach,and the clubs are very close to the campus. Teviot and Potterrow are both on the main campus, so I'd say things are fairly clumped together.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Ambry
I'm a current first year, and so far I can say both are great. There is a big range of accommodation, but most of it is very near the campus. I can get to the main campus by walking in about 5-7 minutes, and I know many other people living in different accommodation that can do the same :biggrin:

Student life is great. It is really easy to make friends (especially in accommodation/during freshers week) and the area is wonderful for students - lots of cheap bars, clubs and restaurants. Teviot (the main union building at Edinburgh) is amazing and has atleast 3 different bars, and it always has something going on. Potterrow, another building, has weekly clubnights. There are so many societies and sports teams to join, it is just crazy to have to choose between them all! I am so far really impressed with student life here, it has excelled all of my expectations.

The campus isn't really what you would expect from a city university. Many of my friends in London say they have kind of been left to their own devices and they feel that the university doesn't really provide much in the way of student life - Edinburgh is the total opposite. It has two campuses, one that is more science-based and one that is more for humanities (the main campus, I'd say) but there is a bit of overlap. Both are easily accessible :biggrin: Everything in the city is easy to reach,and the clubs are very close to the campus. Teviot and Potterrow are both on the main campus, so I'd say things are fairly clumped together.

Thanks! That's really great info! 😄 which accommodation are you in?
Reply 3
Original post by alicecb95
Thanks! That's really great info! 😄 which accommodation are you in?

I'm in Sciennes, and finding it really great. The common room is a nice thing to have!
Reply 4
Original post by Ambry
I'm in Sciennes, and finding it really great. The common room is a nice thing to have!

Sounds like you enjoy living there!!

I really want to firm but I've found accommodation expensive and that will definitely hold me from going to edinburgh if I can't find a cheap housing... I keep seeing figures that quote non catered accommodation at like 150 pounds/week... is this real?
Original post by Dster77

I really want to firm but I've found accommodation expensive and that will definitely hold me from going to edinburgh if I can't find a cheap housing... I keep seeing figures that quote non catered accommodation at like 150 pounds/week... is this real?

That sounds quite high for self catered accommodation. The figures that I've been seeing range from as low as 57 to around 110 pounds/week, depending on where you live and if you have a roommate. 150 pounds/week seems much more like a figure that you would see for catered accommodation with an en suite bathroom. You can definitely find good accommodation for far less than 100 pounds/week.

Check out this link, it has the pricing for self-catered accom.
http://www.accom.ed.ac.uk/new-and-prospective-students/accommodation-pricing/undergraduate-self-catered-pricing/
Reply 6
Original post by Dster77

Lol no! I don't know where you are looking!
My room costs me £90 a week, which is basically nothing considering I live in a great area close to the campus with lots of amenities like shops nearby. I also have a common room, communal area for my flat (that gets cleaned) and bike sheds! I don't know anyone in self catered paying 150 a week, that's crazy!

Look on the Edinburgh university accommodation website. A twin room can be less than 60 quid! A single can be from about 80 quid upwards, it's really not that expensive at all. Almost all accommodation is located well! Look into places like Robertsons close, Sciennes, College Wynd, Kincaids Court, Nicolson Street and things like that on the accommodation website to get started on some cheap accommodation! You'll find one that you like.
Original post by Ambry
Lol no! I don't know where you are looking!
My room costs me £90 a week, which is basically nothing considering I live in a great area close to the campus with lots of amenities like shops nearby. I also have a common room, communal area for my flat (that gets cleaned) and bike sheds! I don't know anyone in self catered paying 150 a week, that's crazy!

Look on the Edinburgh university accommodation website. A twin room can be less than 60 quid! A single can be from about 80 quid upwards, it's really not that expensive at all. Almost all accommodation is located well! Look into places like Robertsons close, Sciennes, College Wynd, Kincaids Court, Nicolson Street and things like that on the accommodation website to get started on some cheap accommodation! You'll find one that you like.

Do many people share rooms? And do you know how they match roommates?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by nellybelly29

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bump this question. Is having a roommate a popular thing?
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Dster77
Bump this question. Is having a roommate a popular thing?

I think sharing is popular in terms of applications because it is so cheap, but there are only limited amounts of shared rooms available. I don't think they really match roommates, it is just kind of luck who you get. I know a girl who shares a room and she loves her roommate! If you have issues, it is not too hard to swap rooms.
My advice to you is try to stay as close to george square (the "main campus") as possible.
I have gone from living 30 minutes away in 1st year to living 5 minutes away in 2nd year.
I am having so much fun, and I think living close to everything is really helping that :biggrin:
Original post by UPSDGoat
My advice to you is try to stay as close to george square (the "main campus") as possible.
I have gone from living 30 minutes away in 1st year to living 5 minutes away in 2nd year.
I am having so much fun, and I think living close to everything is really helping that :biggrin:

Where were you last war and where are you living now? Are you in private accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where were you last war and where are you living now? Are you in private accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was in Beaverbank, I'm now in a private flat near the Meadows
Original post by UPSDGoat
I was in Beaverbank, I'm now in a private flat near the Meadows

would you recommend people who are going to King's campus to live closer to George square?
Original post by Masoudy
would you recommend people who are going to King's campus to live closer to George square?

definetely, between george square and kings is ideal! You can get the shuttle bus from George Square to Kings aswell
Original post by Ambry

I don't go to Edinburgh Uni, I go to one of the Edinburgh colleges instead, and I'm also staying in college halls but the social life isn't the best there unfortunately. I've heard about Teviot and Potterrow, and I'm rather curious about them. Do you know if non-Uni of Edinburgh students are allowed to go there (and without being anyone's guest), and if so, do you know if many non-Uni of Edinburgh students go there?

Sorry to hijack the thread a lil btw OP. Student life hasn't been amazing for me, but maybe because I'm at college rather than uni :dontknow:. At least, there aren't really any organised nights or anything special like that.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I don't go to Edinburgh Uni, I go to one of the Edinburgh colleges instead, and I'm also staying in college halls but the social life isn't the best there unfortunately. I've heard about Teviot and Potterrow, and I'm rather curious about them. Do you know if non-Uni of Edinburgh students are allowed to go there (and without being anyone's guest), and if so, do you know if many non-Uni of Edinburgh students go there?

Sorry to hijack the thread a lil btw OP. Student life hasn't been amazing for me, but maybe because I'm at college rather than uni :dontknow:. At least, there aren't really any organised nights or anything special like that.

I have been to Teviot and Potterow a lot, and I've only been asked for a student card once! So it would be worth coming down to have a look!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending