The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I severely injured my arm in PE when I was 15 (well...someone else injured my arm) and couldn't write properly for 4 months, I did my GCSEs in excruciating pain.

PE is **** because everyone is far far far too competitive in team sports for no reason
Reply 61
Competitiveness is not a bad thing to have! If you think PE was competitive you are going to hate the real world and going for a job that everyone wants. You have got to be competitive to get anywhere in life...you have got to really want something, if you want something bad enough you will be successful but this will mean treading over other people...which sport teaches you, literally in the case of rugby!

I snapped the ligaments in my knee (which i stil suffer from...can't play rugger anymore) and broke bones all over my body playing rugby but i don't really care as i loved playing it. I don't think the competitiveness of PE or injuring yourself in PE is a justification for hating it.

Competitiveness is a good thing to have and good quality...what other subject can teach you that!?

Graham
gbduo
Competitiveness is not a bad thing to have! If you think PE was competitive you are going to hate the real world and going for a job that everyone wants. You have got to be competitive to get anywhere in life...you have got to really want something, if you want something bad enough you will be successful but this will mean treading over other people...which sport teaches you, literally in the case of rugby!

I snapped the ligaments in my knee (which i stil suffer from...can't play rugger anymore) and broke bones all over my body playing rugby but i don't really care as i loved playing it. I don't think the competitiveness of PE or injuring yourself in PE is a justification for hating it.

Competitiveness is a good thing to have and good quality...what other subject can teach you that!?

Graham

Quake :p:
Reply 63
high priestess fnord
wow if pe was like that i would have loved it. i cant stand team sport but ice skating+skiing+horseriding ftw. i think everyone has at least one sport they enjoy but no one really cares about kids enjoying it.

in most schools it seems that if you have a twisted ankle they try and make you *run* after tennis balls (or something equally stupid) to punish you for skipping their lesson.

i really dont see how you can hate team sports.
i love my boys.
i love bossing them around.

and i love getting competetive and shouting and stuff, lets me release my rage so im much more mellow when not playing sports.
Reply 64
^^ damn right. Rugby lets you attack people and break peoples bones and you don't get into trouble! Feck yes.

The CCF/ATC was good too, bossing cadets around, hell yeh.

Graham
notts
i really dont see how you can hate team sports.
i love my boys.
i love bossing them around.

and i love getting competetive and shouting and stuff, lets me release my rage so im much more mellow when not playing sports.

maybe i juat have less rage than you :p:
Reply 66
gbduo

erm, competitiveness in a meaningless game during PE and competitiveness for jobs are not the same thing.

When I say too competitive in PE, I mean the people who tackle you like they're playing in the bloody world cup final. I am happy to be competitive and tread over people for a tangible benefit, but games in PE don't offer any reward! It wouldn't bother me at all if it had happened playing in a competitive match for the school or a local team or whatever, it would just have been one of those things, but as it was someone injured me as they were taking the game way too seriously, leaving me struggling to write in my GCSEs, which unlike PE, ACTUALLY MATTERED.
Reply 67
If PE wasn't so competitive, and embarrasing for unfit kids, people would enjoy it far more! I am unfit and have always found it really embarrasing, everyone has always been so much better than me! But now im doing a self-defence course instead of the usual sports, and i enjoy it far better. Courses like this should be offered to all pupils, of all abilities for all years. It would improve the self esteem of lots of kids.

P.S. - I think what Ian Wright is doing is amazing, i wish i had his support, but he should concentrate on eating as well, then the kids would see the real results! :p:
Reply 68
mermania
erm, competitiveness in a meaningless game during PE and competitiveness for jobs are not the same thing.

When I say too competitive in PE, I mean the people who tackle you like they're playing in the bloody world cup final. I am happy to be competitive and tread over people for a tangible benefit, but games in PE don't offer any reward! It wouldn't bother me at all if it had happened playing in a competitive match for the school or a local team or whatever, it would just have been one of those things, but as it was someone injured me as they were taking the game way too seriously, leaving me struggling to write in my GCSEs, which unlike PE, ACTUALLY MATTERED.

They do...you win. Then you have the pride and trophy to prove it. Its the ego factor.

It was bad luck about the arm, but i fail to see how this one incident in your whole life means you hate competitiveness in sport and PE. How do you think sport works?! You need competitiveness in a sport and people will always do anything to win, you just need to prempt them and do better.

I know exactly what it is like to be in pain during your exams, but you have to put that to one side and concentrate as you say on what really matters...pass your exams then get back into sport. Just learn from your mistake, or lay out the feckwit that injured you.

Graham
Reply 69
gbduo
They do...you win. Then you have the pride and trophy to prove it. Its the ego factor.

trophy? in PE? ...what?!

It was bad luck about the arm, but i fail to see how this one incident in your whole life means you hate competitiveness in sport and PE. How do you think sport works?!

"It wouldn't bother me at all if it had happened playing in a competitive match for the school or a local team or whatever, it would just have been one of those things"

I think *PE* is too competitive, and the teachers just help incite it, rather than reminding everyone it's just a game in a weekly lesson, it's not for a championship or trophy.

I have no problem with competitiveness in sports, I actually like sports.
I just think that since PE is supposed to be for "keeping our youth fit" or whatever, it would help if it was in more of a fun spirit rather than everyone taking it really seriously.

Just learn from your mistake, or lay out the feckwit that injured you.

:rolleyes:
Reply 70
I think you and i had different experience of what PE is, therefore we are talking on cross purposes.

My PE was matches and leagues so we had trophies/medals and all that kinda stuff. Obviously your PE was just athletics and in which case, yeh i agree with you, that is pointless.

Graham
Reply 71
oh, I understand now. yeah, you're right.

PE seemed practically random, one week it would be athetics, then we might play Rugby for a couple of weeks, then football etc.
Reply 72
Well I think PE should be less about competition and more about fitness.

Being competitive is a mindset and difficult to teach. It's very difficult to be competitive about something you don't like and don't care about. Also why couldn't they teach competitiveness in other subjects? They could have regular maths or english competitions where students compete to get top marks. But that would be unfair on the dumb kids of course. Whereas it's perfectly ok to do the same to fat kids.
I think the format should be changed-more choice and actually to make kids feel more comfortable. For me, there was nothing worse wearing a lartard for gym, with boys at a hormnal 14. But parents need to educate their kids more to know the importance of exercise and healthy eating. It begins at home, if you ask me.
Reply 74
Psyk

Being competitive is a mindset and difficult to teach. It's very difficult to be competitive about something you don't like and don't care about. Also why couldn't they teach competitiveness in other subjects? They could have regular maths or english competitions where students compete to get top marks. But that would be unfair on the dumb kids of course. Whereas it's perfectly ok to do the same to fat kids.

absolutely spot on.
Reply 75
Psyk

I don't know - I personally don't really care about fitness training. This is a bad thing to say, but it's true. I HATED running and general fitness training, even in swimming which is my favourite sport I hated the endurance sessions. Fitness training is just so dull and repetitive. Even when I'm rowing (which is about as repetitive a sport as you can get), I enjoy it more for the team camaraderie and the winning stuff than for the fact I'm getting fit. I hated having to do the weekly erg sessions, but I did them because I'd let the crew down if I didn't. Fitness training with no specific aim in mind sucks for me. I have no intention of running a marathon ever, I just want to be healthy enough not to die of a heart attack at 40, and to be able to run the length of the hospital if I need to. I'd rather play a game of hockey for an hour than go for a run - it may be competitive but at least it's varied. If, however, it's the same teams each week and some people just know they're the bad ones, then team sports will suck for them.

Most people are not inherently terrible at PE. Sure, some are better than others, but most kids are not completely useless. However, if you're in a team where there are one or two stars, and you can get away with just standing at the back for most of the match, and get shouted at if you do do anything and get it wrong, then it's not going to encourage you. People need to be split up and taught basic skills over and over again so that everyone has some competency and isn't afraid to join in. There needs to be more individual focus rather than just shoving 22 people on a pitch and letting them get on with it. But that takes more than one teacher and more than an hour a week.
Britain = Lazy.

Me = Superfit.
Reply 77
Personally I think that PE should be done for 1 hour every day at school, a wide variety of sports on offer, so theres always something you will want to do.
p.e is crap..my teacher made me run around a football pitch in my bare feet cus i forgot my pe shoes..i cut my foot and it got severly infected..
matt4504
I'm just watching some tv show about unfit teens on tv and it's made me think, does anyone think the way PE is taught in schools should be changed? Yeah i'm one of those unfit kids who thinks PE teachers were/are nazis but honestly I think PE should be changed for each pupil to achieve their individual planned goals. Anyone else agree/got any views?

Matt

I really think that is a good idea. With figures such as 70% of the population being obese in 5 years children need motivation.

[I did not like the fat Rob kid on that programme]

Latest

Trending

Trending